Beardie climbs up high, close to the lights, then sleeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a baby Bearded Dragon, around 8-9 weeks old. He keeps on climbing up high that's close to the basking lamp and the daylight and then proceeds to sleep there.

He also have a very small appetite, grabs few crickets and ignores the rest. (while following the 15 minutes let him eat all you can protocol)

I just got him last week, so relocation stress might be the cause. I just want to make sure nothing wrong is happening to him.

Bearded dragon:
size: still afraid of me so I can't measure him

Vivarium:
Enclosure:
Glass 40 gallon aquarium, screen top.
ReptiCarpet substrate

Lighting:
ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO
ZooMed basking spot lamp 100W

Diet:
Dusted crickets (Calcium, reptivite)
Papaya mush
Dandelion green

Temperature:
~100 F + on basking
~ 85F - 90F on coolside

Humidity: ~40-50.

Lights:
ON = 7AM
OFF = 8:45PM
Let me know if you have any questions or need a closeup picture of him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can you post a pic of your set up tank and lights please?
It sounds like he might want it hotter if hes climbing clear to the top --- babies like it hotter around 105-110 --- how are you taking temps in the tank --- ? Infrared heat gun is best and most accurate for temps
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If it get's close enough to touch the basking globe you need to install a cage around the basking globe to stop the dragon from touching the glass surfaces of the globe which will be very hot.

tetriminoss

Original Poster
KarrieRee":sfsan6pa said:
Can you post a pic of your set up tank and lights please?
It sounds like he might want it hotter if hes climbing clear to the top --- babies like it hotter around 105-110 --- how are you taking temps in the tank --- ? Infrared heat gun is best and most accurate for temps
Karrie

both lights fixture on top of screen mesh.
basking: ZooMed Basking spot lamp 100W
daylight: ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO

szsw9RX.jpg

X7uy7TL.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I would move the platform to be under the UVB as it sits now he cannot get underneath it- what else is in the dome besides the basking lamp--- what size is the tank? How are you taking the temps? I see the dial - temps should be taken w/ a IR heat gun-- infrared heat gun-- they will give your most accurate temps and can be purchased at Walmart Lowes or Home Depot for around $10 or so
Karrie

tetriminoss

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nah3lna said:
Ok I would move the platform to be under the UVB as it sits now he cannot get underneath it- what else is in the dome besides the basking lamp--- what size is the tank? How are you taking the temps? I see the dial - temps should be taken w/ a IR heat gun-- infrared heat gun-- they will give your most accurate temps and can be purchased at Walmart Lowes or Home Depot for around $10 or so
Karrie

The dome is a double dome, it has basking lamp and ReptiSun 10.0 compact, I've heard compact ones are not good so I don't use it.

The tank size is a 40 gallon, LxWxH = 36"x18"x16". The platform is 4" high and the peak is 6" high.
I am using the stick on thermometer to measure both temp and humidity. I am planning to get a better thermometer soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I would get the IR gun and a digital probe thermometer-- you can use the digital on your cool side and get temps for the basking area w/ the IR-- sorry I missed the tank size-- you are correct the compact coil UVB's are no good -- I am sure there is some relocation stress going on but you really need to get a accurate temp for the basking--- it is hard to say what the issue is but I am guessing the temp is way off --that will effect his eating so until we get a accurate temp we wont really know how to fix it--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom