Beardie climbs up high, close to the lights, then sleeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a baby Bearded Dragon, around 8-9 weeks old. He keeps on climbing up high that's close to the basking lamp and the daylight and then proceeds to sleep there.

He also have a very small appetite, grabs few crickets and ignores the rest. (while following the 15 minutes let him eat all you can protocol)

I just got him last week, so relocation stress might be the cause. I just want to make sure nothing wrong is happening to him.

Bearded dragon:
size: still afraid of me so I can't measure him

Vivarium:
Enclosure:
Glass 40 gallon aquarium, screen top.
ReptiCarpet substrate

Lighting:
ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO
ZooMed basking spot lamp 100W

Diet:
Dusted crickets (Calcium, reptivite)
Papaya mush
Dandelion green

Temperature:
~100 F + on basking
~ 85F - 90F on coolside

Humidity: ~40-50.

Lights:
ON = 7AM
OFF = 8:45PM
Let me know if you have any questions or need a closeup picture of him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can you post a pic of your set up tank and lights please?
It sounds like he might want it hotter if hes climbing clear to the top --- babies like it hotter around 105-110 --- how are you taking temps in the tank --- ? Infrared heat gun is best and most accurate for temps
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If it get's close enough to touch the basking globe you need to install a cage around the basking globe to stop the dragon from touching the glass surfaces of the globe which will be very hot.

tetriminoss

Original Poster
KarrieRee":sfsan6pa said:
Can you post a pic of your set up tank and lights please?
It sounds like he might want it hotter if hes climbing clear to the top --- babies like it hotter around 105-110 --- how are you taking temps in the tank --- ? Infrared heat gun is best and most accurate for temps
Karrie

both lights fixture on top of screen mesh.
basking: ZooMed Basking spot lamp 100W
daylight: ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO

szsw9RX.jpg

X7uy7TL.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I would move the platform to be under the UVB as it sits now he cannot get underneath it- what else is in the dome besides the basking lamp--- what size is the tank? How are you taking the temps? I see the dial - temps should be taken w/ a IR heat gun-- infrared heat gun-- they will give your most accurate temps and can be purchased at Walmart Lowes or Home Depot for around $10 or so
Karrie

tetriminoss

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nah3lna said:
Ok I would move the platform to be under the UVB as it sits now he cannot get underneath it- what else is in the dome besides the basking lamp--- what size is the tank? How are you taking the temps? I see the dial - temps should be taken w/ a IR heat gun-- infrared heat gun-- they will give your most accurate temps and can be purchased at Walmart Lowes or Home Depot for around $10 or so
Karrie

The dome is a double dome, it has basking lamp and ReptiSun 10.0 compact, I've heard compact ones are not good so I don't use it.

The tank size is a 40 gallon, LxWxH = 36"x18"x16". The platform is 4" high and the peak is 6" high.
I am using the stick on thermometer to measure both temp and humidity. I am planning to get a better thermometer soon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I would get the IR gun and a digital probe thermometer-- you can use the digital on your cool side and get temps for the basking area w/ the IR-- sorry I missed the tank size-- you are correct the compact coil UVB's are no good -- I am sure there is some relocation stress going on but you really need to get a accurate temp for the basking--- it is hard to say what the issue is but I am guessing the temp is way off --that will effect his eating so until we get a accurate temp we wont really know how to fix it--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom