Outdoor Terrarium Safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are planning on building an outdoor terrarium for our beardie to use for a few hours a day during the summer. It gets in the high 90s - low 100s here, so she’d benefit well from the real sun. Since the “tank” will likely be an outdoor “playpen” of sorts, what are some good ways to protect her from snakes that might burrow under the wall of the enclosure? We are thinking of making something similar to a chicken coop.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
We are actually working on some pens for our guys too and we have decided that it would probably be best to have them raised off the ground for that very reason. I know for whatever we build outside for them, in our scenario, we would never be able to leave them unattended for this very reason. If you have snakes around there is likely no way to keep them completely out as they can be very industrious. In our area we have water moccasins, copper heads, coral snakes and rattle snakes along with a plethora of non venomous snakes that would eat a beardy given the opportunity. So our plan is to only have them out there when we are out there too.

Kyle

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
For ours, I built a cage out of 2x4's and a kind of hardware cloth sometimes called "rat wire", which is a heavy-duty, wire mesh that you can get at most hardware stores. It has a square mesh with 3/8" gaps and is resilient against being chewed/clawed though by most critters up through cats, foxes, and coyotes, which is what we have to protect against where I live. Because ours is heavy and rests on a brick patio, I didn't put it on the bottom, but I'd think quarter-inch plywood on the top and bottom would be sufficient there if this is off the ground. That said, I don't leave my beardies out in this cage unsupervised in case a predator decides to show up and make a go of getting into it. Probably just being paranoid :D

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
That is pretty much what we are thinking of going with as well. A 2x4 frame and then the bottom will just be some sort of plywood type material and all of this will be on legs a couple or so feet off the ground. We are debating putting chicken wire down around where the guys can get to it or not or if we need to have some walls that keep them from it. I have seen some horror stories of them getting caught in the chicken wire and breaking a limb or rubbing themselves raw on it. I have seen plenty of enclosures that just have wire mesh sides though. My guys climb anything they can so I worry about them climbing the wire or screen and accidently hurting themselves. So our other thought would be something like a tortoise house on legs if you know what those look like. The have a bottom and walls and only the top is open. They also have a built in shade hide which is probably important as well so they can thermal regulate.

Kyle

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
I would love to do something like that and I know my boys would love to be in the grass in the yard, but I get nervous about all the chemicals and such that have touched my yard. I live in a typical U.S. suburban neighborhood and we have outside exterminator and have to fertilize the yard to keep up with the Jones' and not get letters from the HOA and stuff....We also have a pool and the chemicals associated with that, I know they make it into my yard somehow....that's part of the other reason we think we need a raised outdoors enclosure away from all those invisible hazards in my yard. Could easily set that on a table or build a base for it though and it would probably be perfect.

Kyle

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
kmwilson042182":2kep2aqv said:
I would love to do something like that and I know my boys would love to be in the grass in the yard, but I get nervous about all the chemicals and such that have touched my yard. I live in a typical U.S. suburban neighborhood and we have outside exterminator and have to fertilize the yard to keep up with the Jones' and not get letters from the HOA and stuff....We also have a pool and the chemicals associated with that, I know they make it into my yard somehow....that's part of the other reason we think we need a raised outdoors enclosure away from all those invisible hazards in my yard. Could easily set that on a table or build a base for it though and it would probably be perfect.

Kyle

Or lay some pavers on the grass in an area that's got partial shade , and place the hutch on the pavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom