Mega Ray bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a post on another forum that her beardie acted strangely to the Reptisun bulb here is what she said
First up I was originally using a Reptisun T8 10.0 (Brand new) that was mounted inside tank and it was within 6-8" of him across a few basking spots, he was never able to get up close to it enough that he could damage his eyes, yet he seemed to be angered when it was turned on he'd squint and turn straight black like he was trying to absorb more heat till the UVB was turned off.
I actually went ahead and purchased a Megaray 100 Watt SB for him because I couldn't stand to see him sad, after burning it in and setting it up over his huge stone slab basking area he appears immediately happier he moves around his slab which I presume he's doing to regulate his UV exposure and temperature. Lastly he's been under the Mega for 6 days and his appetite has picked up hugely, he wolfs down salads like he did as a baby and murders crickets en masse.
So I want to know why would she get this kind of reaction to those bulbs? Is the Megaray a good UVB to use? It being a bulb and not a tube?
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Megaray MVB is kind of an all in one. It produces much more UVB than a T8 tube but it's in a narrower pattern. The downside is that they need to be set at about 12'' for proper UVB production and may not produce proper temps on their own at that distance. I think that in this case it's showing itself to be an improvement based on the change in behavior.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
So should she change distance or leave as is
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the dragon is moving around to adjust a bit and not constantly directly under it, then it sounds about right and should probably be left as it is. When they sit directly under a light for a long time it's usually not strong enough, when they avoid it a lot, it's probably too strong. You want to see them move around under and near the light quite a bit over the course of the day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
ok thank you for that info I will pass it on
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom