Just got my first beardie. Hi!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaetom

Hello,
I just rescued an adult bearded dragon. I think he's a few years old and from everything I've been reading, has been extremely ill cared for. (only fed every week or two, no lights, ignored). I am going into this aware that there might be nothing I can do to save him, but would like to make whatever time he has left as awesome and comfortable as possible.

From what information I can gather, he has only ever been fed red peppers as he "cant catch crickets" (information from the owner before last) and he "doesnt like anything green". I gave him some snap peas yesterday and he went crazy for them.

As this has happened very quickly (I was just offered him and I can't bear the thought of saying no), I am trying to crash course this as fast as I can. Any information or advice you can share with me would be SOOOO appreciated!!

Thank you so much
Phae

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you are able to give the little guy a good home. They're tough critters and can bounce back from a lot with good care so be patient and do your best. We'll be happy to help as much as we can. It's a great sign that he was going after food on his own. Make plenty of fresh veges available to him and offer him drips of water on his nose to lick up and keep him hydrated. Take him outside for natural sunlight if you can. It's important to invest in a high quality UVB light for him as well. I recommend using a 22'' or 34'' T5 Arcadia 12% depending on the size of the enclosure you have for him. Can you post some photos of him? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Phaetom

Original Poster
I will take some pictures in the next day or two and post them! He hasn't been too mobile today, though while he was up on his log he would eat out of my hand. I fed him some kale and green beans. After getting a taste for it I found him at his dish eating some more. As the day has progressed he's eaten a bit more (I'm assuming his stomach is pretty shrunken from only being fed every couple weeks) and has since had a normal looking poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom