New Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

silisam21

Hi everyone,

I am hoping I can get some help. I bought a bearded dragon on June 1st and since bringing him home we have made many changes from what the pet store told us to do (they had us put mulch in the bottom, we have since changed him to carpet). He has TERRIBLE aim when trying to eat his crickets and even his greens! Is this normal? He is measuring in at 12 inches so it looks like he is 4-6 months old. The cage he was in at the pet store was a lot smaller than the 20 gallon we have for him now, is this what could be throwing him off? Is this normal behavior for a beardie this age? We are not leaving crickets in his cage overnight because we know they feed on them sometimes. We give him fresh green everyday and are sprinkling the calcium on them as well as the crickets. We have a lamp on top that is double, one for heat and one for UVB and after reading things on here it seems like this isn't the best choice, but this is how the pet store had him set up and what we got with him when we bought him. We can upgrade that soon, but right now I'm more worried about his eating.

Also, how does everyone keep humidity down in the tanks? Most of the time it is between 30-40, but sometimes rises to 50 overnight when his lamps are off. I know this is a long post, but I just want him to have a good life and thrive. Should I try feeding him in a smaller container with the crickets? (I watched a video on this last night) or should I just try something that isn't so quick like the roaches? I live in Michigan and the closest reptile store is quick a trek. Thanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What could be effecting the eye site is the UVB --- what kind of UVB are you using ? Brand and bulb is it a coil or tube? As far as humidity goes its fine --- you dont want it higher that 70 I think I have been told-- the bulbs in the tank will take it down during the day and at nite it does go up as long as its not over 70 ----- mine has been running high the last couple of days cuz of the weather here too -- have not had my air on as of yet and I usually run a house dehumidifier in the summer - if it does get too high you can always get a dehumidifier for the room he is in and it will help-- if there is water in the tank take it out-- you can try feeding in a smaller container but I would look at switching over to dubias they are way better for him anyway easier to keep and they dont stink or chirp- there are many places to order them from -- here are a few places you can check -- abdragons---- dubiaroaches.com -- mulberryfarms---- rainbowmealworms.net---- or check out amazon.com and search dubiaroaches-- suppliers offer free shipping --- you can check out the feeding board on the website --- if you have a tote or a 10 gallon aquarium you can keep them in there and feed them carrots squash apples strawberries ect--- they will eat what the dragon eats just not the greens for some reason they are not hot on greens -- anymore questions please ask
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom