Question about my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a new owner and today my beardie who is around 3-4 months was showing stress marks, as soon as I took her out and held her she turned normal and then when I put her back in she started showing them again. Is there something wrong with her cage or is she just acting spoiled?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum------------in order to answer the question about the tank please post pics of the tank and lighting and we can go from there-- it is normal for them to be stressed from a new enclosure but we want to make sure the correct lighting is there and not causing a issue
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jeremiahfish":euakzjh2 said:
I’m a new owner and today my beardie who is around 3-4 months was showing stress marks, as soon as I took her out and held her she turned normal and then when I put her back in she started showing them again. Is there something wrong with her cage or is she just acting spoiled?

She's telling you she likes being with you. (the marks disappear , and I bet she colors up (brightly showing her face and colours).

I think in many cases the pattern of marks on a dragon's tummy and under it's throat are mistook for stress marks , when in reality they serve some other functions
>> body language - communicating with other dragons
>> camouflage
>> and also indication of the dragons emotional state
>> and also sometimes an indication it is stressed.

Can you do a detailed run down on the tank's setup , photos of the dragon and the tank and bedding and light setup.
temperatures
at basking spot
in warm zone
in cool zone

Also are there other animals in the house ?

Jeremiahfish

Original Poster
104686-967329578.jpg
104686-1550243763.jpg

I only have the stick on thermometers rn but they are reading between 95-100 in the basking area and 82 in the cool side, I ordered a digital thermometer, and a temp gun along with a hiding spot, and also a tube uvb light which all should be here tomorrow, the owner of the local pet store told me the reptisun Mini Florescent light would be fine (maybe he just wanted a sale) but after reading up on it here I decided to get a tube.

Another question I have is a hammock good for basking or should I get an elevated branch? She seems happy, eats both her crickets and veggies, and poops every day, i find it weird she changed back to normal when I held her since it’s only been a couple days and I thought it takes a while for her to want to be handled. I didn’t realize it would be this stressful at first haha, I love her already though

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
please get rid of the crushed walnut ASAP --- like now---- it is toxic to your dragon- replace w/ paper towels for now --- but please get rid of the walnut!!!!!!!!!!
What kind of UVB did you order and what size tank is she in? You want your basking temps to be around 95-110 or so - babies like it warmer so 100-110 would be good ---
Karrie

Jeremiahfish

Original Poster
Oh no, that’s scary! I’ll clean it out now, how should I lay the paper towels? The bulb I ordered is a 18” t8 reptisun and she’s in a 40 gallon breeder tank. What substrate do you recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good bulb just make sure you get it inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking spot--- just lay the paper towels in there doesnt matter how --- if you plan to upgrade the tank which is recommended to a 75-120 gallon tank w/ front doors makes it alot easier to clean etc you can go to a textured non adhesive shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile both from Home Depot Lowes etc - its cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle-- the bugs cant get underneath---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom