Horn worm moth

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmwilson042182

Hatchling Member
The moths drink nectar at that point. In the wild they drink from honeysuckle and petunia. You would have to give it nectar of some sort.

Kyle

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No I don't know enough. Just a few that cocooned cuz my dragon didn't eat the worm. ACTUALLY, I THINK I HEARD HE CAN EAT THE MOTH??????? :)

lele

Hatchling Member
Hi,
The adult moths are safe to feed to your Beardie. As for feeding the moth, you will first need to contain in it, preferably in a large cage. They are very strong fliers and will beat up their wings @ night trying to fly off. My suggestion would be to feed to beardie as soon as it ecloses (comes out). I wrote an article, long ago, for a chameleon e-zine & in it I have pics of feeding a crippled moth, you can try similar. They have a very long proboscis (tongue), which can make it difficult to feed in captivity to the inexperienced - even for the experienced!

http://www.chameleonnews.com/05DecCaruthers.html
@ scroll down to ECLOSION
When making "nectar" use 4 parts water to 1 part sugar.

Another option is to put it into container in fridge (not freezer!) to temporarily chill him & make it easier to handle. Just offer to beardie.

Good luck!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
lele":3hy7w3w8 said:
Hi,
The adult moths are safe to feed to your Beardie. As for feeding the moth, you will first need to contain in it, preferably in a large cage. They are very strong fliers and will beat up their wings @ night trying to fly off. My suggestion would be to feed to beardie as soon as it ecloses (comes out). I wrote an article, long ago, for a chameleon e-zine & in it I have pics of feeding a crippled moth, you can try similar. They have a very long proboscis (tongue), which can make it difficult to feed in captivity to the inexperienced - even for the experienced!

http://www.chameleonnews.com/05DecCaruthers.html
@ scroll down to ECLOSION
When making "nectar" use 4 parts water to 1 part sugar.

Another option is to put it into container in fridge (not freezer!) to temporarily chill him & make it easier to handle. Just offer to beardie.

Good luck!

Thanks for that link. Very detailed.

-Brandon

lele

Hatchling Member
You're welcome. Even though I wrote it 14 yrs ago(!) I reference it for keepers from time to time. There is one on silkworms, too.

The manduca moths are nice & hefty so a good meal :)

lele

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He must have literally just hatched them. Cuz when I was handling it, he was "wobbly." :) not even attempting to fly. Falling over when it walked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom