Bad eye infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jreynolds3

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":163vppuq said:
I think this may be more than an eye infection.

Both eyes swollen like that warrants more than a casual 5 minute vet examination and shot in the dark at "some kind of infection" and send you out the door with some antibiotics.
Has a vet done any testing to determine if these are indeed infected ? what exactly ?

I think this is WELL beyond off the shelf home medications (terramycin) and raw honey at this stage. Antibiotics that have not been specifically selected to target a specific germ is likely going to do more harm than good. Terramycin is in the group .
Terramycin details
•Broad-spectrum effectiveness against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative organisms, including Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

The eyes are being pressed out the eye sockets by (fluid pressure) due to somekind of underlying health issue.
I wont hazard a guess what this could be , but I've seen similar eye socket swellings before in a bearded dragon.
One was due to an aneurism.
Another was due to tumour in the tissues and bones in area between both eyes.
Swelling of one eye or both may be associated with an infection inside the eye itself, or behind the eye in or behind the socket.
If left untreated,it can lead to retinal detachment, blindness or enucleation (removalof the eyeball).
This might be due to an increase in intraocular pressure,which is often a sign of infection, injury, or some other health problem.

I think you need to get the dragon back to a good experienced reptile vet and request xrays and bloodwork to determine
>> if this viral ? bacterial ?
>> dietary ? ie Hypervitaminosis A
>> something causing both sets of tearducts to be blocked and how to unblock these ?
>> if there is a mass (tumour) that shouldn't be there and the dragon's treatment options (wont be cheap) and prognosis ?
>> if there is an aneurism (likely expensive and very dangerous procedure) ?

I'd be removing all objects that have hard edges from the dragons tank as the dragon's sight is probably compromised with eyes so swollen (and stress on the optic nerves) and if the eyes are sour or itchy the dragon can easily whack one on something hard and edged and rupture the eye ball.

Okay i will most likely take him into a vet again.. The thing is that it’s very expensive, i’m going to try everything within my ability to help him.

Jreynolds3

Original Poster
Jreynolds3":28e1uda0 said:
kingofnobbys":28e1uda0 said:
I think this may be more than an eye infection.

Both eyes swollen like that warrants more than a casual 5 minute vet examination and shot in the dark at "some kind of infection" and send you out the door with some antibiotics.
Has a vet done any testing to determine if these are indeed infected ? what exactly ?

I think this is WELL beyond off the shelf home medications (terramycin) and raw honey at this stage. Antibiotics that have not been specifically selected to target a specific germ is likely going to do more harm than good. Terramycin is in the group .
Terramycin details
•Broad-spectrum effectiveness against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative organisms, including Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

The eyes are being pressed out the eye sockets by (fluid pressure) due to somekind of underlying health issue.
I wont hazard a guess what this could be , but I've seen similar eye socket swellings before in a bearded dragon.
One was due to an aneurism.
Another was due to tumour in the tissues and bones in area between both eyes.
Swelling of one eye or both may be associated with an infection inside the eye itself, or behind the eye in or behind the socket.
If left untreated,it can lead to retinal detachment, blindness or enucleation (removalof the eyeball).
This might be due to an increase in intraocular pressure,which is often a sign of infection, injury, or some other health problem.

I think you need to get the dragon back to a good experienced reptile vet and request xrays and bloodwork to determine
>> if this viral ? bacterial ?
>> dietary ? ie Hypervitaminosis A
>> something causing both sets of tearducts to be blocked and how to unblock these ?
>> if there is a mass (tumour) that shouldn't be there and the dragon's treatment options (wont be cheap) and prognosis ?
>> if there is an aneurism (likely expensive and very dangerous procedure) ?

I'd be removing all objects that have hard edges from the dragons tank as the dragon's sight is probably compromised with eyes so swollen (and stress on the optic nerves) and if the eyes are sour or itchy the dragon can easily whack one on something hard and edged and rupture the eye ball.

Okay i will most likely take him into a vet again.. The thing is that it’s very expensive, i’m going to try everything within my ability to help him.

Thank you so much by the way for your time. I’ve been trying to get him to good health for months and months since i bought him from my friend.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need a good reptile vet --- I would start calling around if the one you are seeing is not a reptile vet -- you can always ask if they are a reptile vet on the phone
Karrie

Jreynolds3

Original Poster
claudiusx":1h5pmv3r said:
I would also try force feeding. I imagine he's having trouble finding his food to begin with. He needs his nutrients to help his body fight.

You can pick up some critical care or I think reptiboost is more commonly found at petstores.

-Brandon
I try my hardest to force feed him with a syringe but most of the time he fights it with every bit of strength lol.

Jreynolds3

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2a0y14t8 said:
You need a good reptile vet --- I would start calling around if the one you are seeing is not a reptile vet -- you can always ask if they are a reptile vet on the phone
Karrie

Yes, I found a vet and got the costs down. I'm having to find a job just to pay for these expenses, as my parents can't.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is something that might help w / the force feedings-- take some of the food that you mix make sure its pretty watery so it does not plug the syringe - have your dad or someone take a small drill bit and bore the end of the tip of syringe out make sure its clean you want just the tip of it so it does not plug up the smallest bit you have -- then fill syringe and take it and put a little all over one side of his lips like lipstick so he licks it off - then when he does this his mouth will be open enough to get the syringe in on the one side of his mouth -- I went in on Hiccups left side - I fed him carnivore/ herbivore care mixed 1 tbl / 3 tbl + water--- 3mls- soupy --- see if that helps--- they will bite the tip of syringe so be careful --
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that your dragon is having so much trouble with his eyes.
Your UVB is the long Reptisun 10 tube, correct? How is it mounted, directly overhead?
I agree, I think it is most likely an underlying health issues from previous care. He is showing
symptoms of possible heart, liver or kidney issues. It could also be an inflamed sinus cavity
which would cause fluid retention.
You were able to find a vet who had reduced costs? Are you still using the terramycin for him
too?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":3icbhhzb said:
Here is something that might help w / the force feedings-- take some of the food that you mix make sure its pretty watery so it does not plug the syringe - have your dad or someone take a small drill bit and bore the end of the tip of syringe out make sure its clean you want just the tip of it so it does not plug up the smallest bit you have -- then fill syringe and take it and put a little all over one side of his lips like lipstick so he licks it off - then when he does this his mouth will be open enough to get the syringe in on the one side of his mouth -- I went in on Hiccups left side - I fed him carnivore/ herbivore care mixed 1 tbl / 3 tbl + water--- 3mls- soupy --- see if that helps--- they will bite the tip of syringe so be careful --
Karrie
Some tips for syringe feeding here : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687
I've found this kind of kit very good for syringe feeding sick lizards :
SYRINGE_and_green_feeding_cone_from_Ebay.png

viscous liquid meds & food slurries into the mouths of lizards, a nozzle is very good slipped into the back corner of the mouth .

This will be a two person job : someone needs to hold the dragon while the other person slowly pushes the syringe's plunger.

Jreynolds3

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3sx7mmvt said:
KarrieRee":3sx7mmvt said:
Karrie
Some tips for syringe feeding here : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687
I've found this kind of kit very good for syringe feeding sick lizards :
SYRINGE_and_green_feeding_cone_from_Ebay.png

viscous liquid meds & food slurries into the mouths of lizards, a nozzle is very good slipped into the back corner of the mouth .

This will be a two person job : someone needs to hold the dragon while the other person slowly pushes the syringe's plunger.

Thank you for this, but he is now letting me feed him! He takes big ole gulps and actually eats which is amazing. I found a way to get his mouth open with my fingers and I just put my finger a little bit into his mouth and im able to syringe some food in there before he starts trying to bite off my fingers. His name is chomper for a reason :shock:

Jreynolds3

Original Poster
Drache613":7f0tm4cw said:
Hello,

I am so sorry that your dragon is having so much trouble with his eyes.
Your UVB is the long Reptisun 10 tube, correct? How is it mounted, directly overhead?
I agree, I think it is most likely an underlying health issues from previous care. He is showing
symptoms of possible heart, liver or kidney issues. It could also be an inflamed sinus cavity
which would cause fluid retention.
You were able to find a vet who had reduced costs? Are you still using the terramycin for him
too?

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Yes I am using an 18" Reptisun tube installed in a Zoomed holder inside of the mesh screen (so directly above him). I am using the terramycin on his eyeball and on the skin around his eyeballs in hopes that it will seep into his skin. I have found a place where the visit is $45 dollars, the bloodwork is about 70$ and the x-rays are about 70$ I am currently trying to find a job to pay for his medical expenses as I am only 17.

Jreynolds3

Original Poster
claudiusx":qqxb9cgh said:
I would also try force feeding. I imagine he's having trouble finding his food to begin with. He needs his nutrients to help his body fight.

You can pick up some critical care or I think reptiboost is more commonly found at petstores.

-Brandon

I have been force feeding him blended veggies through a syringe for 3-4 weeks.

Jreynolds3

Original Poster
UPDATE: I’m only 17 so all of this is very overwhelming as it’s in my hands. To pay for him needed to get a job and yesterday i got hired to mcdonalds! Should be able to get the lil sucker into the vet soon enough.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great news! Im very proud of you for taking this upon yourself and you should be too! Thanks for the update we are rooting for you two.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great job JR, that's taking your responsibility seriously and goes a long way toward maturity. Certainly hoping your scaly friend will be O.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom