Rhaeny Makes a Fiery Entrance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all! If you've interacted with me before, you know I have a tragic past with these little guys. I've owned 3, and all 3 had health complications. I was ready to quit, thinking I was the problem. After changing my set up countless times, preparing, and the constant feeling of missing something, I decided I would go to Repticon and see if there was one for me. Walking around for a while, I saw a lot of beautiful dragons, but none that stood out to me. Until I stumbled upon a gecko breeder in the back. He kept all of his animals on bigger containers than everyone else and they all looked fat, healthy and active. So I started looking around, and then I see this:
full

I knew I had to have this dragon. I asked to see it, and immediately fell in love. I learned it was a female, and she was the most relaxed, yet healthy and active dragons I had seen. She was plump, her eyes were alert and she was content just sitting in my hand. I immediately bought her. I bought 250 small dubias (she has eaten 50 already) and some veggies which she has also taken a liking to. I bought a T5 lamp and have 2 bulbs on the way so I can stop having a lamp dangling into the enclosure. I also bought her a log (which she loves) and brought her home. Here she is with one of her siblings:
full

They were all striking. She is settling in great, has been eating like crazy and using the bathroom. Healthiest dragon I've had :D
Some more pictures for you guys:
full

full

I name my dragons after characters. 2 out of the past 3 have been Game of Thrones: Drogon and Tyrion. And my last was Jojo from Jojo's Bizzare Adventure. I did some researching, wanting to name her after a Targaryen but not after the Khaleesi because that's too mainstream. I settled on Rhaeny, one of the first Targaryen's in the 7 kingdoms and a strong woman in the family. It fits her color and her personality. I'm so happy to have another dragon, she's definitely brightened me up after being a bit down since Jojo. I hope to give her a long, happy life and I can't wait to share our journey with you guys! :blob5:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She looks good --- so sorry to hear about the ones in the past --- that is terrible--- so is Rhaney the only one you have or did you buy two?
Karrie

ChristGilley

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2dbbi7o1 said:
She looks good --- so sorry to hear about the ones in the past --- that is terrible--- so is Rhaney the only one you have or did you buy two?
Karrie
Just her, I don't have space for another enclosure for another dragon. I wish I could, but it's just her

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well welcome-- hope she brings you joy- iam sure she will-- any questions or issues please ask
Karrie

ChristGilley

Original Poster
Alright, guys, I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong. Rhaeny is more than active. Constantly wondering her enclosure, eats like crazy and loves exploring my bed when we have bonding time. But I'm wondering if I'm giving her too much supplement or she's getting too much exposure to UVB. Although she's VERY active, she constantly looks tired. She looks alert, but at times, her eyes look like she's tired. Her bathroom habits have been consistent every day, she has a ReptiSun T5 10.0 that is about 10 inches from her favorite spot in the enclosure and it is not filtered through the mesh. Her hot side sits around 110 and her enclosure temp goes down to about 70 at night. I've been dusting all of her meals (which I know isn't the recommended so I'm cutting it back) but I think the issue is I sometimes leave her UVB on for over 12 hours. As I said, she is very active but she just looks tired sometimes and her walk is a little weird looking. Not like unsteady or anything, but just like she's constantly stepping on something. It could just be the textured mat, and I might take it out and opt for tile or another form of mat that is the problem. Any thought are welcome! I've done a lot of changing to this set up in the past so I believe her enclosure and supplements are fine, save the mat, and I'm more concerned with the dosage of UVB and supplements she's getting. Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you get a video of her walking ? I do believe the mat could the problem and is irritating her feet, they have softer sand and more hard packed + grassy areas usually in the wild. There are pebbly spots too [ in the wild ] but not everywhere they step.

And do you use calcium with D3 or without, or is it both ?

ChristGilley

Original Poster
Vet appointment on Friday went well! Doctor says the dragon is healthy, active and he's super excited to see progress in growing. He gave me a few pointers in the dietary department in terms of variety but after telling him my setup, he didn't have any problems with it. I raised my concerns with him and he told me that the tired look was most likely due to shed, especially since Rhaeny was more than active at the office and didn't continue that behavior. He also said that the mat shouldn't be too much of an issue but it wouldn't hurt to swap it out with something better on the feet. We also may have found out that Rhaeny is a male, but he says we may have to wait a little longer to find out for sure

ChristGilley

Original Poster
AHBD":48gstiz7 said:
I can probably tell you if it's a M/F. if you post a pic with the tail arched up high .
He said it's most likely a male, but he doesn't wanna say for certain until the dragon is a bit bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom