How long to leave the lights on/time of day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard 10-12 hours of UVB is optimal for beardies, and I've also heard that overexposure to UVB can harm them. But I'm also a night owl and very much not a morning person!

So currently I have Nara (4 months old) in a viv set to turn on lights/turn off the CHE at 8am, and turn off lights/turn on CHE at 8pm. A nice even 12.

But at 8pm I'm still very much active, and as the evening hours creep in Nara generally becomes more active too. He's fed throughout the day but around 7:30pm when I start settling in in my room (his viv is next to my bed, and I sit on there using my laptop etc) he really starts getting excited, running around the viv and looking like he's hunting, and coming up to the side of the glass where he can see me and watching curiously.

I don't want to turn the lights out on him when he's active and force him to fall asleep. But I also don't want to over-light him or give him too little sleep time! Would it be okay to turn off the UVB, but have the basking light still available till 9 or 10pm?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You dont want to feed him 1/2 hr before the basking and UVB go off-- he needs to be fed atleast 2 hrs prior to those lights being off --- 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off is good --- usually shutting lights off in the tank they settle down - even if I am still in the same room on the computer w/ Hiccups lights off he still hunkers down and goes to sleep--
Karrie

chrsschb

My lights are on at 8am and off at 10pm. Our house is active during those times anyways. I have two different timers though and phase the UV in later and turn it off earlier (like 9 to 9).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I have my lights and heat on a timer :
on 6am
off 9pm

1st feed 1pm (INSECTS)
I know they are hungry by 9am as they are both pestering my wife who gets up earlier than at brekky and the salad usually vanishes after I go to bed.

2nd feed 6pm (latest I'll do , INSECTS & SALAD) …. this is for 2 two 5 month old juvenile bearded dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom