Respiratory infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
So I’m fairly certain bandit has a respiratory infection. She’s gaping in her cool side and drooling to the sides when she’s not gaping. Vet appointment isn’t until Tuesday 9 am; I’ve changed her heat lamp from 75 watts to 125 watts. UVB 10.0 changed a couple weeks ago. Anything I can do in the mean time? I live in a very humid state so humidity unfortunately is a battle, I did give her some kiwi to try a couple days before her symptoms started so I’m wondering if that has anything to do with this as well? I’ll try running the CHE at night too even though my house doesn’t drop below 65.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UVB is it a coil? You can get a dehumidifier for the room shes in
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would try to keep her warm overnight (not too warm, maybe up to 75-80 in the tank) to help her body fight off a possible infection. When you go to the vet, they can take a sample and grow a culture to see if there is an infection and if so, which medications will be effective. Try to keep the humidity in the 30-60% range as much as you can. Giving her time out in the natural sunlight may be beneficial overall as well.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
No to the coil, it’s a 24 inch, just changed a couple weeks ago. I bumped her to the 125 watt heat lamp and she’s no longer drooling and only gaped once. It’s weird her bottom lips like pucked out when she was drooling and it’s going back to normal. If she doesn’t gap(e?) again tomorrow I might cancel the vet. She’s got a ferocious appetite and I moved her tank around so she’s currently inquisitive. It’s been super humid and rainy in this state for the last couple months. Currently the humidity worked in my favor and it’s only 29%in her tank.

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like she can get close to the lights if she wants to. If she's acting better and is alert and has a good appetite, it sounds like she's probably OK. Please let us know if her condition changes.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She gaped and drooled again yesterday so my husband took her to the vet. It is a RI, she was given apple flavored antibiotic though I’m not sure if it’s baytril or not (husband had to run to work and didn’t give me details) but the vet was very impressed with Bandit and her set up ? she was surprised she ate greens and that she had such strong legs lol

Now onto the road of recovery

Thank you!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom