Beardie Quite Underweight, how do i get him to gain weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRyse

My male is around 17 inches and about 300g. I think he is around 2 and a half years old.
I have had him for about a year and have had a couple problems. When i first got him, he took quite a long time to settle in and he didn't eat too much either. After that, a few months ago he had a bad mite problem, due to there being a lot in some wood chips from pets at home. I tried everything and after a month or so, I was able to fully rid of them. He did not eat much through this period as well as i think he found it stressful due to the things we had to do to try and treat him so much.

He eats fine now, and has 4-8 locusts per day as he sometimes likes to eat a lot! I feed him greens occasionally and trying to get him to eat more as he has never been too keen. I would like to know how to fatten him up and get to a healthy size.

Please leave any tips you have.

Thanks,
Ben

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think there is some stuff you can use one of the others on here would haft to recommend that -- I would start by feeding him a good salad every day -- greens like mustard collard turnip you can mix them fruits apple strawberries raspberries grapes etc NO citrus! Offer a variety ---- you can feed him butter worms horn worms -- butter worms are fattening so I would go sparingly w/ those but they should put some weight on him --
Karrie

CJRyse

Original Poster
My male is around 17 inches and about 300g. I think he is around 2 and a half years old.
I have had him for about a year and have had a couple problems. When i first got him, he took quite a long time to settle in and he didn't eat too much either. After that, a few months ago he had a bad mite problem, due to there being a lot in some wood chips from pets at home. I tried everything and after a month or so, I was able to fully rid of them. He did not eat much through this period as well as i think he found it stressful due to the things we had to do to try and treat him so much.

He eats fine now, and has 4-8 locusts per day as he sometimes likes to eat a lot! I feed him greens occasionally and trying to get him to eat more as he has never been too keen. I would like to know how to fatten him up and get to a healthy size.

Please leave any tips you have.

Thanks,
Ben

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
You may want to reverse the offerings - give greens and other veggies daily, and insects less often. Adults need more produce than bugs. Beardies have such a variance in sizes/weights that are all normal - why do you feel he's very underweight? Does he look too thin? You can try something like ReptiBoost to stimulate his appetite and there are several other options for getting some extra nutrients into him - Oxbow Critical Care is a good one. Or look on this site for the various recipes for making your own slurry to feed him. There are several other kinds of live feeders you could try as well, if you can get them where you are (your use of locusts makes me think you must not be in the US). Maybe post pics of your beardie for the more knowledgeable members (there are several excellent advisors on here) to help you determine if he really is underweight. They like to see pics and a rundown of the housing/lighting, etc. as well, in case any adjustments may be needed in those areas.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon, along with your tank setup for us, just so we can
see his physical condition & his lighting placement.
How is he doing today?
As suggested, good quality protein but not necessarily higher fat insect protein helps them
to gain healthy weight. You can try silkworms or hornworms also, both of which are higher
protein feeders but also a good water content also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom