Newbie (need help with lighting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMG07

104651-3852778180.jpg

This is our new terrarium. It is about 3ft long, 1.5ft wide, and 1 foot high. The plan is to upgrade to a 4x2x2 minimum between the 6-8 month mark. This one was easily obtainable from a trusted source.

We haven't gotten a beardie yet, but plan on getting one within the next 4-6 weeks. I'm attempting to get everything set up before then.

My local pet store is family owned and only source from local breeders. They're great and very knowledgeable, but for this I'm really wanting some advice because of the conflicting information.

I've been told a good branded MVB is just as good as a UVB and basking bulb and might suit my habitat better.

But from my research here... I should really be trying to mount a strip light uvb inside the cage? It's only a foot tall though, so I'm not sure that's best either. The top has mesh, but is split so a strip light across the top isn't really well suited. (I'd also seen where mesh absorbs up to half the uvb emitted)

I'm trying reptile carpet in the bottom, but have already found someone to cut tile for me if I dislike the carpet.

I know I need a temp gun, a thermometer, humity gage, basking rock,branch, and feeding and water bowls. I also was considering a hammock depending on room. Still working on the layout, but admittedly it's mostly because I like them and I haven't done much research on them.

But lighting and temperature is the most important part befoew I can plan anything else. So I'm really searching for advice there.

I'm just trying to give the new family member the best start possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A mvb wouldn't work too well with your setup because of your short height. You most likely will have problems with getting the bulb the correct distance for uvb and temperature. You're better off with a baking bulb and tube uvb.

You're short tank height adds a problem again. It's too short to mount a t5 HO inside because it will be too close and too strong. If you get the t5 HO reptisun you'll need to mount it outside the tank over the mesh. Or you could get the t8 reptisun and mount it inside. I'd be inclined to buy the t5 HO and mount it outside over the screen. Factor in a basking surface that most likely will be a few inches tall and you really don't have the room to mount the tube inside.

-Brandon

LMG07

Original Poster
claudiusx":1arqy8xn said:
A mvb wouldn't work too well with your setup because of your short height. You most likely will have problems with getting the bulb the correct distance for uvb and temperature. You're better off with a baking bulb and tube uvb.

You're short tank height adds a problem again. It's too short to mount a t5 HO inside because it will be too close and too strong. If you get the t5 HO reptisun you'll need to mount it outside the tank over the mesh. Or you could get the t8 reptisun and mount it inside. I'd be inclined to buy the t5 HO and mount it outside over the screen. Factor in a basking surface that most likely will be a few inches tall and you really don't have the room to mount the tube inside.

-Brandon

That's what I was thinking and trying to logic through.

I'm not sure on the best way to mount it on top given the mesh is split. Will that get in the way?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can always run it vertical instead of horizontal so the light bar is covering the mesh or sitting in between the solid wood and not on top opposed to running horizontal -- how many inches is the screen mesh ? running vertical?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would just get the 3 foot~long one and let it run from over the top. Sure the plastic and mesh will block out some of it, but that's the point of the stronger bulb. :)

-Brandon

LMG07

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3nlqj3vo said:
You can always run it vertical instead of horizontal so the light bar is covering the mesh or sitting in between the solid wood and not on top opposed to running horizontal -- how many inches is the screen mesh ? running vertical?
Karrie

I made these to be more helpful now that I'm home and can take exact measurements.

104651-2362627308.jpg

104651-9233180088.jpg

Really thanks for the answers guys. I have so much anxiety when making sure I'm doing the best for an animal.

The wood is melamine treated, so I wasn't sure if it was okay to basically have a light up against that?

LMG07

Original Poster
claudiusx":g8edft46 said:
The uvb bulb will be fine up against it. I wouldn't put the heat bulb on it though Haha.

-Brandon

Haha, yeah... Might have some melting on my hands.

Good to know I can just run a large one across.

I saw they make 14inch tube fixtures but I haven't seen a 10.0 uvb in the 12inch range or I'd consider two of those (one in each side of the mesh).

So, I'm thinking a 75w basking light from what I've read with similar set ups.

I'll check surface temperatures during the night and add a CHE when it becomes necessary. I don't think it will be this summer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Arcadia's only come in 22 or 24" -- you could get T8's and mount them in tank--- 8-10 inches from basking if you can--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
8 to 10 inches is the problem with mounting inside. The fixture itself is gonna make the bulb 2 or 3 inches from the top, leaving you 9 inches left. So that already means you cant have a basking surface taller than half an inch or the dragon gets too close.
That's why I said I'd go with the HO tube on the outside, so you can actually have rocks and wood to climb on in the tank.

The t5 HO 10.0 comes in a 32" variety I believe. That would probably be perfect for you. I dont think the HOs come in 12 inch.

-Brandon

LMG07

Original Poster
claudiusx":3bzp9vay said:
8 to 10 inches is the problem with mounting inside. The fixture itself is gonna make the bulb 2 or 3 inches from the top, leaving you 9 inches left. So that already means you cant have a basking surface taller than half an inch or the dragon gets too close.
That's why I said I'd go with the HO tube on the outside, so you can actually have rocks and wood to climb on in the tank.

The t5 HO 10.0 comes in a 32" variety I believe. That would probably be perfect for you. I dont think the HOs come in 12 inch.

-Brandon

I found the reptisun 10.0 t5 HO in a 12inch on Pet Mountain.com
I like the idea of none of the light being wasted.

I think I'll try to find a fixture to fit it from somewhere locally and see how it fits first, that way I can return it and then purchase the longer hood and light if needed.

Thanks again guys. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon.

LMG07

Original Poster
Hey guys!

Thanks so much for being helpful before.

I now have the lighting set up. I'm getting between 106°- 108° F in the highest part of the basking spot. The cool side of the terrarium is between 81°- 83° F.

Checking these with the digital temp reader in several different places.

Set up with reptisun 10.0 uvb across the enclosure.

But I have one more question regarding the lighting that may be entirely irrelevant, I apologize if it is.

The heat source isn't directly above the uvb, but the fixture is definitely picking up a good bit of heat from it and is very warm to the touch. Is this problematic?

104651-6494578.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks quite a bit better. The fixture should be able to handle a bit of heat so as long as it doesn't get scorching hot, I wouldn't worry about it. I've also found that to protect (plastic) fixtures and trim, putting some foil over the area seems to provide a good heat shield up to a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom