Blood in poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marhvee

Hi, everyone -- I just gave my baby his daily bath, where he went potty and the result is a bit alarming to me. Here's a picture:

104301-8217746881.jpg

His stool was well-formed (before he kicked it into a mess, but you can see most of it still there by his tail in the upper left corner. However, towards the end of his poop, as you can see in the center of the picture, he left a small bit of red stuff. I took my finger across it and found that it wasn't liquid, but rather a soft, film-like substance, so no red color came off of it into the water or on my finger. I'm not sure if this is blood or not, since this was the only bit of red that came out. I haven't fed him anything red (only dubias and collards/turnips), though he is shedding on his tail. His energy has been the same as usual, though his appetite has dropped a bit but I assumed this was because of his shed. Any ideas of what this might be? If it is some kind of parasite, should I expect to see blood again in his poop tomorrow? I just want to know what signs I should look out for and try not raise any false alarms. Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did you feed him anything red, that could have caused that?
Normally, blood in the stool is a result of a worm or parasite most of the times, or, from them
straining. Is this the first time you have noticed any blood?
He isn't eating as much as usual, is he going to shed by chance?
If you start to notice marked weight loss, lethargic behavior, or a black beard, etc I would
recommend getting a fecal sample done just to be sure nothing is going on internally.

Tracie

marhvee

Original Poster
Drache613":3l4vhtsp said:
Hello,

Did you feed him anything red, that could have caused that?
Normally, blood in the stool is a result of a worm or parasite most of the times, or, from them
straining. Is this the first time you have noticed any blood?
He isn't eating as much as usual, is he going to shed by chance?
If you start to notice marked weight loss, lethargic behavior, or a black beard, etc I would
recommend getting a fecal sample done just to be sure nothing is going on internally.

Tracie
I haven't fed him anything red, only dubias and collards/turnips. This is definitely the first time I've noticed anything red in his stool. He is currently shedding on his tail and on one of his legs, so the appetite change might be due to that, but I'm not entirely sure. He hasn't lost any weight, but he also hasn't been gaining much either (he was 249 g when I weighed him a little under 2 weeks ago, and he was 254 g today). He's behaving much like he always has and hasn't black-bearded at me. If it is parasites/worms, should I expect to continue to see blood in his stool over the coming days? (Or, conversely, if it was a result of him straining today and not parasites/worms, should I expect to see normal stool again?)

Thank you so much for the reply! I just want to be careful and know what I should be looking out for.

marhvee

Original Poster
Thought I'd give an update on the situation -- here's his poop from today:

104301-196742509.jpg

It felt relatively solid (stayed in one piece) when I cleaned it up, though he did pee earlier this morning, so I wonder if that's why his urate was less well-formed. The good news is that there was no red in it this time, and he's had quite a voracious appetite so far today. I'll continue to keep a close eye on him!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he has worms or parasites, it likely will continue a little blood here & there until they are
cleared out. If he was just straining, then it should correct itself. Perhaps he was dehydrated
& had a harder urate than normal, or could be low in calcium which causes straining, too.
I would definitely keep an eye on his stool, to be sure there isn't any excess blood. That is a
great sign though, that there wasn't any blood today.
I'm glad to hear he is eating well, too!

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

marhvee

Original Poster
Drache613":hj76fw0d said:
Hello,

If he has worms or parasites, it likely will continue a little blood here & there until they are
cleared out. If he was just straining, then it should correct itself. Perhaps he was dehydrated
& had a harder urate than normal, or could be low in calcium which causes straining, too.
I would definitely keep an eye on his stool, to be sure there isn't any excess blood. That is a
great sign though, that there wasn't any blood today.
I'm glad to hear he is eating well, too!

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie
Hello,

I'm afraid that my little one has produced another worrisome stool. However, I caught him in the act this time and did notice that he was straining quite a bit before the blood came out, and admittedly he did eat a LOT yesterday, more than he has in weeks. Here's a photo:

104301-1574752108.jpg

The consistency of the stool itself was normal (soft, but held its shape). He didn't eat quite as much for lunch today, but I've been keeping an eye on his weight and making sure to always weigh him at the same time (after his daily poop/bath). Oddly enough, he was 254 g just 2 days ago, and just now he came out to be 267 g! Is he perhaps still trying to work off all that he ate yesterday?

Luckily, I've found a few options for reptile vets in my area, and one of them is a vet who's familiar with my family's other pets, so should he require a vet visit, I do have someone in mind!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little one, he may have worms or parasites possibly. I'm glad to hear that you have a few
options for a reptile vet nearby.
At least he is still eating pretty well right now which is a good sign! Let us know how he is doing.
Try to keep him hydrated also, in case his system is stressed.

Tracie

marhvee

Original Poster
Drache613":2j93fdt8 said:
Hello,

Poor little one, he may have worms or parasites possibly. I'm glad to hear that you have a few
options for a reptile vet nearby.
At least he is still eating pretty well right now which is a good sign! Let us know how he is doing.
Try to keep him hydrated also, in case his system is stressed.

Tracie

Hello,

Thought I'd give an update on my baby -- after consulting with my friend who is a vet, I increased his hydration to see if it would help (it would at least aid with his shedding). I noticed after a while that he had a piece of shed stuck around and inside his vent, which I suspected was bothering him and causing him to strain when pooping. After increasing his hydration, he managed to finally shed that piece on his vent, and since then, he's had no incidence of blood. He's also eating a lot more and rapidly gaining weight, which has been wonderful to see. I'll continue to keep an eye on him of course, but I think that the shed was causing him a lot of discomfort. For future reference, I'll make sure he's a lot better hydrated the next time he sheds that area!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor dragon, I guess that was probably causing some issues with him. I'm glad to hear
he hasn't had anymore instances of blood then! :D
The extra hydration has likely really helped him out too, it usually does in most cases.
Let us know how things are going with your boy.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom