Critique new enclosure please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Critique me!
I have just finished setting up my first BD enclosure in preparation for a new adult BD classroom rescue next week. He's been in a very cramped space for 2½ years and I want to make the next chapter of his life as nice as possible.

Zen Habitat 48x24x24 enclosure.
36" 10.0 Repti-Sun T5/HO UVB w/reflector.
75w ZooMed basking bulb on dimmer.
60w ceramic heat element in wire cage on ZooMed Repti-temp thermostat set to 70ºF.

The surface of the basking platform is hitting 100ºF as measured by temp gun.
The surface temps of the steps range from 100ºF down to 85ºF (or so).
The ambient air on the warm side is 88ºF as measured by digital thermometer.
The ambient air on the cool side is 77ºF as measured by digital thermometer.

The UVB is underneath the screen top and 13" from the basking platform.
The basking light is on top of the screen top and is 16" from the basking platform.
Plenty of shade underneath the basking platform.

I think I have covered all of my bases here in trying to set up a decent enclosure.
If there are any tweaks that need to be made please advise me!
Thanks.

103340-3275761684.jpg

103340-2046358474.jpg

103340-4031714317.jpg

103340-3963883980.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
OMG he gonna think he moved into a condo!!!!!!!!!! :D I think I would get something for him to be able to prop himself up on--- sitting on the flat platform might get a little boring for him -- the flooring is it a textured so he doesnt slide ?
Karrie

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
He is coming with all his old supplies so I'm going to find a way to add his hammock somewhere- I want a bit of his old stuff in there so he has some familiar smells and isn't totally dumped into an alien land.
Yes, flooring is texturized.
And if I can find the right piece of driftwood or grape wood I'd sure grab it and find a way to integrate it.
I know I built the platform a bit large (and if/when I do a new one I'll do better) but I was consumed with making sure he had some room to spread out- he's been in a 20 gallon tank all his life.
Thank you!

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
I think the new enclosure is lovely - LOVE the picures/art! Haha! However I doubt those plants will last long... Would love to see it once you add his old supplies.

Best,
-Ellentomologist

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
Ellentomologist":2gsfpac1 said:
However I doubt those plants will last long...
You think?
I tried to choose the hardest plastic I could find- they were difficult to cut so would be exceedingly hard to bite. I anchored them in concrete inside the pots and they have a very low center of gravity to prevent tipping over, too.
Oh well- if they don't last I'll make new ones!

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
Well, I am very disappointed to have to report that our rescue fell through.
He was promised to us back in February and we've been feeding and caring for him ever since (because nobody else does), so we are a bit emotionally attached.

We did always know that the teacher was flakey (he's in a classroom) and might back out but we went ahead and prepared for him anyway. Now we have to sit here knowing he's still in that small, lousy, dirty tank and no longer getting my tasty salads every day. I would assume she will take him home over the summer. If he's still there next week after school has well and completely shut down I'm tempted to walk off with him but she would absolutely know who did it. It's infuriating :banghead:

Onward we go.
I'm baby shopping now and will probably decide which one to buy this upcoming weekend.

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3s02atwl said:
Turn them in! Inappropriate care!
Karrie
Yeah, I'm walking eggshells on that.
Husband works for the school and is afraid that stirring up crap might cause retaliation and it could all get really ugly really quickly. It's a really good job.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How sad!! :( People should not have a pet if they cannot properly take care of it !! Period!!!!!!!
Karrie

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3unup9ld said:
How sad!! :( People should not have a pet if they cannot properly take care of it !! Period!!!!!!!
And further, a school system should not allow a teacher to provide such a poor example to children.
All the kids in that classroom are learning is that it is OK to neglect and ignore captive animals.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I agree I would be going to the school board to get some action done ---- teacher is showing a bad example!!!
Karrie

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
Couldn't sleep over this situation, reported it this morning to school administrators.
We'll see.
If it was a cute little bunny they'd call out the militia, but a reptile? People suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom