Stress marks!!!! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliHat

I’ve had my beardie since January of this year (he was a baby) and have not had these problems until now. He has stress marks all over his belly, at times his chin is really dark. He glass surfs when you get close to his tank and we will take him out a while. His color will return to pinkish white at times not specific to anything or changes. No changes to the inside arrangements of his terrarium. He has a 40 gallon, UVB 5.0, 100w basking bulb, 100w heat bulb, basking side measures 105°-107°, cool side 81° using an infrared heat gun. PLEASE HELP!!!!
103605-316824187.jpg
103605-8801908083.jpg
103605-7940128171.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your little guy looks thin--the UVB is a 5.0? What brand ? The UVB needs to be inside the tank and depending on what you have if its a coil bulb please replace w/ this
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
My guess hes not getting enough UVB and this would cause the behavioral issues -- also its going to effect his eating and digesting of food---- he needs to be able to get under his UVB --- the tank looks like it could use some new decor as well - please look at Petsmarts website or visit their store for some ideas for the tank -- or look on online- at this point he cant even get under the UVB that he does have and the screen is blocking out the rays anyway--- so basically it is of no use! You have a heat bulb and a basking bulb? Heat bulb is it colored?
Karrie

AliHat

Original Poster
I’m using a reptisun 5.0. I can get a 10 tomorrow, but how would I put it in his tank? He has a basking and heat bulb. Heat bulb is red. I attached pictures in my original post of that setup. Here are more. Should I move his hammock over to be under his UVB?
103605-6803181930.jpg
103605-5222634971.jpg
103605-8238322795.jpg

The coil bulbs are absolutely dreadful and it kills me knowing pet stores actually sell these to people. You need to invest in either a reptisun 10.0 long tube UVB T5 or T8 or an Arcadia 12% T5 UVB. The output from the coil uvb you have is pointless and is probably damaging his eyes. The stress maeks are not necessarily worrisome because those can come and go - even when they're not stressed. However, the set up needs to be changed drastically in order for your bearded dragon to get the best exposure to UVA and UVB.

There should be no screen or mesh between the UVB and your dragon. Screen and mesh cut the UVB output by up to 40%. Unless you are planning on using a T5 high output UVB then you are losing a lot of UVB through the screen and in that case the T8 should be placed at least within 6 inches of your dragons basking area. A T5 could easily be placed 10 - 12 inches from the basking area especially if you're using an Arcadia.

The UVB and the Basking bulb (heat) should be side by side so when your dragon is basking they are getting exposure to both heat and UVB. A bearded dragon does not actually start to metabolize and synthesize calcium into D3 until their internal body temp has reached 96° F. That's why it is important to have them side by side. Having the UVB on the cooler end is pointless for the purpose they are needed for.

Also, the red light you have is pointless and unnecessary. Dragons can see colour and having a red bulb in there actually effects the full spectrum lighting they should be receiving from a bright white basking bulb. The red lights basically make it look like a sun set all day everyday for them which messes with their overall well being.

Your dragon is very beautiful and I'm sure with a few minor adjustments to his viv he can live a long and healthy life! :)

AliHat

Original Poster
KayleeMay1":392o8zbj said:
The coil bulbs are absolutely dreadful and it kills me knowing pet stores actually sell these to people. You need to invest in either a reptisun 10.0 long tube UVB T5 or T8 or an Arcadia 12% T5 UVB. The output from the coil uvb you have is pointless and is probably damaging his eyes. The stress maeks are not necessarily worrisome because those can come and go - even when they're not stressed. However, the set up needs to be changed drastically in order for your bearded dragon to get the best exposure to UVA and UVB.

There should be no screen or mesh between the UVB and your dragon. Screen and mesh cut the UVB output by up to 40%. Unless you are planning on using a T5 high output UVB then you are losing a lot of UVB through the screen and in that case the T8 should be placed at least within 6 inches of your dragons basking area. A T5 could easily be placed 10 - 12 inches from the basking area especially if you're using an Arcadia.

The UVB and the Basking bulb (heat) should be side by side so when your dragon is basking they are getting exposure to both heat and UVB. A bearded dragon does not actually start to metabolize and synthesize calcium into D3 until their internal body temp has reached 96° F. That's why it is important to have them side by side. Having the UVB on the cooler end is pointless for the purpose they are needed for.

Also, the red light you have is pointless and unnecessary. Dragons can see colour and having a red bulb in there actually effects the full spectrum lighting they should be receiving from a bright white basking bulb. The red lights basically make it look like a sun set all day everyday for them which messes with their overall well being.

Your dragon is very beautiful and I'm sure with a few minor adjustments to his viv he can live a long and healthy life! :)

I’m really confused now. Are my lights not already side by side? They are right next to each other. Are you saying I need to by the T8 in order to for the UVB to get through my screen enough for him? If not how do I have lights without a way to hold it in place? I want to do every thing that needs to in order for my dragon to be healthy and happy. I’m just super confused. Any time I’ve posted here I’m always told different ways to set up the tank each different front the other. If you could just keep it simple and to the point that would be a great help! Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to replace the coil w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 tube I would recommend it it is a stronger bulb-- the T 8 would need to go inside the tank - your screen looks like its a wide mesh so the T 5 would be strong enough to sit on top of screen -- you will need a new flat fixture for this T 5 tho -- the T 8's take a regular fixture -- the fixture would need the cover off the bulb so when putting the bulb in leave the cover off--- same w/ the T 8 which ever you decide to use --- if you go w/ a T 8 you can use these to hang inside the tank--- command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties---- you can try and get the UVB and basking bulbs next to one another I dont have mine next to one another in my tank as my basking bulb is on top and the Arcadia UVB is inside the tank --- as long as he can get close to the UVB he will go from one to another as he knows what he needs -- the red bulb get rid of it --- it hurts their eyes and can cause long term damage- he needs the darkness like you and I --- they sleep better w/ their metabolism slows at nite and the red light is disrupting sleep- are you dusting his bugs? He is still young and to prevent MBD he needs the calcium 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week -- but the UVB is crucial for his overall health and behavior-- I forgot to say if you need extra heat in the tank invest in a CHE - ceramic heat emitter- it only provides heat and no light --- your tank should not drop below 65 at night-- they need a dome like your basking light- they come in 75 watt and 100 watt bulbs -- I would recommend you upgrade your tank as well --- for a adult dragon we recommend a 75 gallon or 120 gallon tank one w/ doors that open from the front
Karrie

AliHat

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ebb8c5m said:
You need to replace the coil w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 tube I would recommend it it is a stronger bulb-- the T 8 would need to go inside the tank - your screen looks like its a wide mesh so the T 5 would be strong enough to sit on top of screen -- you will need a new flat fixture for this T 5 tho -- the T 8's take a regular fixture -- the fixture would need the cover off the bulb so when putting the bulb in leave the cover off--- same w/ the T 8 which ever you decide to use --- if you go w/ a T 8 you can use these to hang inside the tank--- command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties---- you can try and get the UVB and basking bulbs next to one another I dont have mine next to one another in my tank as my basking bulb is on top and the Arcadia UVB is inside the tank --- as long as he can get close to the UVB he will go from one to another as he knows what he needs -- the red bulb get rid of it --- it hurts their eyes and can cause long term damage- he needs the darkness like you and I --- they sleep better w/ their metabolism slows at nite and the red light is disrupting sleep- are you dusting his bugs? He is still young and to prevent MBD he needs the calcium 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week -- but the UVB is crucial for his overall health and behavior-- I forgot to say if you need extra heat in the tank invest in a CHE - ceramic heat emitter- it only provides heat and no light --- your tank should not drop below 65 at night-- they need a dome like your basking light- they come in 75 watt and 100 watt bulbs -- I would recommend you upgrade your tank as well --- for a adult dragon we recommend a 75 gallon or 120 gallon tank one w/ doors that open from the front
Karrie

OOOKAY!!! ? now I follow, sorry that was just too much for me to process lol. I do not leave his lights on at night not even his red heat bulb. Those are strictly day light hours only and allows have been. If I get rid of the red bulb with just the basking bulb be enough? Or do I need to get a white heat bulb? Thanks so much for this help!!!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It depends on the bulb -- take the red bulb out and get a basking temp --- if you haft to you can always get a hotter bulb - just make sure your fixture can handle the hotter bulb-- it will say on the inside of dome-- and yes you want a bright white bulb
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Agreed fixing your lighting should help. If not we can go from there.
I second the notion of getting rid of the red bulb.

-Brandon

AliHat

Original Poster
I will get a measured reading now and then turn the red light off and check the temp in about 20 minutes and let you know what it is! I truly do appreciate ALL the feed back and tips! Much love
-Alishea

AliHat

Original Poster
Oh and I did open his hatch and place the UVB over that to get past the cover, move his half log over a tad to be under both UVB and heat. Checked 5 minutes later and he was in his log ☺️

AliHat

Original Poster
Ok temps before turning off red heat bulb around 109°. Now 96°and he has gotten really dark. So I’ll try and find a white heat bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom