Baby Beardie extremely weak and will not eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
104576-3388648438.jpg
Before today I was having lighting issues with my new bearded dragon he is just a baby and I was struggling to get his basking zone above 96. However now I purchased 2 new bulbs and it’s resting at about 106 degrees at the hottest point. However my dragon is extremely lethargic, won’t open his eyes, and he will not eat. He does not even look alive I can only tell he is from him opening his eyes for a second or looking at his breathing. Today is day 2 he hasn’t eaten anything and I’m extremely worried he may die I’m not sure what else to do. His humidity is at 35% the cool zone is 80° and the warm/basking zone is 100-110°

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, your poor little dragon is not doing well at all. How was he when you first got him at the store ? He might be dehydrated so try dripping water on his snout, slowly but give it a try. If he drinks that may help him out. Then you can try getting a product called Reptiboost, that can hopefully get some nutrition in to him.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In addition to what AHBD said, what are you using to measure your temps?

I read your other thread and saw that just two days ago he was doing well so he's really gone down hill quickly.

In that picture it looks like his head is resting on the rock but his belly isnt? Almost like he's stiffened out from a muscle or neurological issue? Or is it just my eyes deceiving me.

Unfortunately, sometimes babies (especially ones in pet stores) can have ADV, which can cause them serious issues. Unfortunately most babies that actually exhibit symptoms don't actually make it.

So to give your guy the best chance, lets make sure you have a proper uvb bulb, and that you're measuring your temperatures with a proper tool.
You might have to force feed the little guy to help him out. But, it's unlikely this is from lack of nutrition if he was just eating well two days ago.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Goodness, he is not doing well at all.
What type of UVB lighting are you using, is it a long fluorescent tube bulb or a smaller
compact/coil type of light?
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures?
It does look like you will need to intervene to get some food into him though, since he
isn't eating right now. You can get some chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with squash
or sweet potato baby food. You can use a plastic dropper or syringe to drop onto his nose
to see if he will attempt to lick some food off of his nose.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Krystencastillo9807

Original Poster
I was finally able to get some food into him and he seemed to have perked up a little. I’m getting a new light for him today that will hopefully make him feel a bit better thank all of you for your help and hopefully he will he feeling better soon!
104576-5777685014.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great, what did he eat and what type of light are you getting ? He may not be out of the woods yet but does look better already. :)

Krystencastillo9807

Original Poster
AHBD":28nbgqf8 said:
That's great, what did he eat and what type of light are you getting ? He may not be out of the woods yet but does look better already. :)

I blended some greens, fruits, waxworms, calci worms, and crickets and used a dropper to feed him. I originally had 2 all living things bulbs (one basking and one UVB) but they did not keep the cage anywhere near what it needed to be so I went out and I got a 160 watt Exo Terra bulb that is supposed to be all in one and I was thinking about going and getting a reptisun UVB bulb Incase the all in one bulb may not be enough but I’m not sure

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a great idea and since he ate some it definitely paid off. :) The Solar glo is a decent MVB but you could also get the Reptisun long tube and turn it on every other day just to be safe. That way the Reptisun will last for an entire year and you can use the MVB as long as it produces heat [ which can be more than 2 years ] even though after a year it won't produce any uvb. So you'll need a new Reptisun bulb after a year but the Solar glo can stil be used as the heat/basking bulb.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, he does look quite a bit better today. :D Bless him.
So did he like the food slurry you made him, it sounds nutritious & at least you were able to
get some into him, too.
That's great you were able to get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for him. As suggested, the Solar
Glo is an ok bulb & it is a nice bright light. While it may not emit very strong UVB, it will give
off plenty of heat & light. So, it would be a great combination, using the tube bulb along with
the Solar Glo for him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom