1 and a half year old only eating greens right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

My guy is 1 1/2 years old (maybe a month or two more) and recently he has only been eating his collard greens, nothing else.

I'm not complaining, that much, lol. I'ts very good that he is eating his greens. He is eating his collard greens every day, with the very occasional squash. But hasn't been interested in bugs (silks or supers), for a week now. Not more than a week ago, he was devouring 5-10 supers, or 3-4 supers and 4-5 silk worms a day.

Thank you

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

You might want to diversify the types of insects your offering. For one thing, supers are kind of high in fat and /may/ (I stress the may) cause liver disease if overeaten. For another thing, he might just be bored... Some animals are like that. Some are picky in that they'll only eat one thing (I have a toad that refuses any feeder other than crickets - a TOAD, the notorious garbage disposals of the herp world), others really crave variety or just decide they don't like something anymore.

If you need any suggestions, Dubia Roaches (or other roach species) are expensive to buy initially but you can keep a permanent colony for cheap in a container just a bit bigger than a shoebox (I feed mine Guacamole's leftover vegetables about twice a week, along with a bit of roach chow and extra carrots. Food+Cardboard, add a water source (wet sponge, moss box, water crystals) and you're golden).

Mealworms aren't ideal as a staple, but they're also so easy to keep a colony of there's really no reason not to. Wheat bran or similar grain + 1-2 carrots in a plastic bin container and you're good.

Waxworms are was more complicated, and are also a "fatty" insect, but I can give you instructions and my media recipe if you want them.

I would not recommend breeding crickets, but they're cheap and buying a day's worth once a week is a worthwhile investment if he'll eat them.

That said, at his age so long as he eats his insects a couple times a week... Egh, seems like a good deal to me!

Good luck,
-Ellentomologist

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ellentomologist":2c3hbtra said:
Hiya,

You might want to diversify the types of insects your offering. For one thing, supers are kind of high in fat and /may/ (I stress the may) cause liver disease if overeaten. For another thing, he might just be bored... Some animals are like that. Some are picky in that they'll only eat one thing (I have a toad that refuses any feeder other than crickets - a TOAD, the notorious garbage disposals of the herp world), others really crave variety or just decide they don't like something anymore.

If you need any suggestions, Dubia Roaches (or other roach species) are expensive to buy initially but you can keep a permanent colony for cheap in a container just a bit bigger than a shoebox (I feed mine Guacamole's leftover vegetables about twice a week, along with a bit of roach chow and extra carrots. Food+Cardboard, add a water source (wet sponge, moss box, water crystals) and you're golden).

Mealworms aren't ideal as a staple, but they're also so easy to keep a colony of there's really no reason not to. Wheat bran or similar grain + 1-2 carrots in a plastic bin container and you're good.

Waxworms are was more complicated, and are also a "fatty" insect, but I can give you instructions and my media recipe if you want them.

I would not recommend breeding crickets, but they're cheap and buying a day's worth once a week is a worthwhile investment if he'll eat them.

That said, at his age so long as he eats his insects a couple times a week... Egh, seems like a good deal to me!

Good luck,
-Ellentomologist

Thank you for the reply/
The reason why I mainly feed him supers and silks is because he will only eat those two. I fed him dubia roaches from baby to early adult (since I got him at 3 months till like 12 months), then stopped liking them. And over the course of the last 4-5 months, I'v been trying to get him to eat dubias. I buy dubias once in a while (once a month or two) to see if he will eat them, but he is never interested in dubias. No matter how many times I try, or for how long. I actually bought some dubias a few weeks ago (maybe a month ago), but he didnt eat a single one. I even didnt feed him for 2 days or 3 to see if he works an appetite for dubias, but not even then. So I kinda force fed him a dubia here and there for a few weeks, just so the dubias dont go to complete waste.

It wasnt until I bought for the first time some silk worms a few months ago that he started to eat something else other than supers.

Haven't tried crickets in a long time either, I fed him crickets the first month or two when I got him before I started on feeding him dubias. So I'll try crickets soon one of these days. And I'll try mealworms as well.

He hasn't lost any weight at all, not even when he brumated during winter. And he eats his greens almost every day, so im not too worried. But I will try on crickets, mealworms, and wax worms.

Although I know gut loading superworms is not really a thing, I always feed them veggies, and dust them with an all in one vitamins and calcium powder, at least so the supers have a bit more nutritional value.

Thanks for the reply! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Being that he is over a year his diet has switched - hes gonna only eat vegies now -- that is great - offer him the occasional bugs dusted w/ his D3 and vitamins 2 x per week-- and I would mix his collards w/ mustard and turnip greens and a little cilantro I roll mine up like a cigar and cut down the middle and slice after I have washed them so they are served wet for hydration from there I add on top squash yellow zucchini or butternut shredded one of those - fruit apple strawberries blueberries one of those NO citrus --- dandelions and some bee pollen the different colors gets their attention and the smell of the bee pollen and the cilantro-- the only worms Hiccup will eat are hornworms and butter worms --- I have not been able to get silk and he doesnt like super worms
Karrie

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ellentomologist":2bglf24p said:
Hiya,

Good luck,
-Ellentomologist

Do I need to keep my mealworms refrigerated? I heard that you have to, but also that you dont have too, whats the best choice?

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Do I need to keep my mealworms refrigerated? I heard that you have to, but also that you dont have too, whats the best choice?

To get meal worms to last in their worm form, you want to keep them refrigerated to slow their metabolism and prevent metamorphosis. To breed meal worms, you want to leave them unrefrigerated so they grow, metamorphose, breed, and reproduce. If you don't refrigerate them, you can feed them as worms for a few days, but they will turn into beetles quickly!

Hope that helps!
-Ellentomologist

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, he is not eating now. Went from not eating bugs 5 days ago, eating only veggies, and now he is not eating. Could be just today, but idk what could be wrong. The last two days he is going in his hide very early during the day, basking only until noon. Could it be brumation again? I mean he brumated a lot last time, from october to almost february. But he is refusing his veggies today. acting kinda lethargic now, but just 3 or 2 days ago he was running around like crazy in my room, glass surfing, etc. It's odd, when I take him out of his tank, he doesnt act lethargic, still roams around my room, etc. But in his tank, he just looks very tired.

UPDATE: so when he was roaming around my room, I dropped a silk worm, and he ate it, dropped a second, ate it, then dropped a super and ate it. So he is indeed eating. This dude is an enigma :banghead: cant figure him out lol. And when I put him back in his tank, he is not acting lethargic anymore, sitting up right, going on his hammock, etc. Weird dude. Love him, but weird guy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom