Beardie with vibrating head/legs, possible adenovirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey all! Apologies for the delay;

I'm really happy to say that I think Milo is slowly getting better by the day. I took him off the antibiotics 2 days back because I just didn't feel like he was reacting well at all. The vet said we can try another antibiotic if needed, otherwise to take him off. I've been force-feeding him a few pieces of squash dusted in the probiotics mixture to help soothe his tummy, as well as doing long, daily soaks with the probiotics mixed into his bath. I really think this is helping him, since today he finally was eager to eat a little!!

As for the tremors, they are significantly less than before! I can still see/feel them here and there but compared to the first day, he is doing so much better!! There are WAY less tremors than before. He's still getting the calcium supplement daily, as well as slowly regaining his appetite. He ate only one hornworm yesterday, and two superworms tonight so I know he's at least getting that appetite back. He definitely still isn't at his 100% (acting a little lethargic and black bearded randomly in the day) but he's mostly alert, still active, etc the vast majority of time. I ended up bumping his timer up by an extra 2.5 hours so his lights are on longer. I figured this was best for him since he'll be getting longer UVB sessions + it mimics the summer time more. So his lights are on from 8-10:30 ish. Is this a good idea, or is 12 hours plenty?

Thank you all by the way for your help and suggestions. I was so worried I was going to lose him... I'm feeling so much more confident that this isn't the virus, and instead was just a calcium issue. To counter this in the future, I'll be supply him with reptiworms at all times and slowly going to wean him off superworms. Generally he likes all worms, but he goes straight for the supers over anything else. :p Going to even try breeding up some reptiworms and get him back onto dubias as well..... hopefully. I see that a MAJOR diet change has to happen so this doesn't worsen or rebound, so I'll be trying everything. If I have to forcefeed him the protein/veggie mix that was suggested above, I'll even do that. Anything for my little buddy.

I'll keep you all posted on his continued progress!!

OH to answer the questions above- His light is 2ft above, but his basking spot and other ledges he lays on are higher so generally he's 1-1.5ft away from it. And he gets multivitamin and calcium+d3 supplements dusted on his proteins and pellets ( these two supplements https://www.amazon.com/HERPTIVITE-Multivitamin-reptiles-amphibians-Bottle/dp/B00076HT3S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=herpavite&qid=1558571895&s=gateway&sr=8-1)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news Milo is feeling better & is greatly improved in such a short period of
time, too. I am happy for you both! :D
I do agree with taking him off of the antibiotics also.
Are you giving just the liquid calcium for him, right now? I would do just the liquid for a few
weeks until he is much better. Then you can go back to the powder later on. I wouldn't give
both, because he may get too much that way.
I think he should hopefully make a great recovery now with the T5 light & the liquid calcium.
Keep us updated on his progress! :D

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
milo0":75wpj2f5 said:
Hey all! Apologies for the delay;

I'm really happy to say that I think Milo is slowly getting better by the day. I took him off the antibiotics 2 days back because I just didn't feel like he was reacting well at all. The vet said we can try another antibiotic if needed, otherwise to take him off. I've been force-feeding him a few pieces of squash dusted in the probiotics mixture to help soothe his tummy, as well as doing long, daily soaks with the probiotics mixed into his bath. I really think this is helping him, since today he finally was eager to eat a little!!

As for the tremors, they are significantly less than before! I can still see/feel them here and there but compared to the first day, he is doing so much better!! There are WAY less tremors than before. He's still getting the calcium supplement daily, as well as slowly regaining his appetite. He ate only one hornworm yesterday, and two superworms tonight so I know he's at least getting that appetite back. He definitely still isn't at his 100% (acting a little lethargic and black bearded randomly in the day) but he's mostly alert, still active, etc the vast majority of time. I ended up bumping his timer up by an extra 2.5 hours so his lights are on longer. I figured this was best for him since he'll be getting longer UVB sessions + it mimics the summer time more. So his lights are on from 8-10:30 ish. Is this a good idea, or is 12 hours plenty?

<<< 12 hours access to UV is pretty minimal , I suggest nudging that up by about 3 hours , perhaps even to 16 hours .

<<< same with the heat.

Thank you all by the way for your help and suggestions. I was so worried I was going to lose him... I'm feeling so much more confident that this isn't the virus, and instead was just a calcium issue. To counter this in the future, I'll be supply him with reptiworms at all times and slowly going to wean him off superworms. Generally he likes all worms, but he goes straight for the supers over anything else. :p Going to even try breeding up some reptiworms and get him back onto dubias as well..... hopefully. I see that a MAJOR diet change has to happen so this doesn't worsen or rebound, so I'll be trying everything. If I have to forcefeed him the protein/veggie mix that was suggested above, I'll even do that. Anything for my little buddy.

I'll keep you all posted on his continued progress!!

OH to answer the questions above- His light is 2ft above, but his basking spot and other ledges he lays on are higher so generally he's 1-1.5ft away from it. And he gets multivitamin and calcium+d3 supplements dusted on his proteins and pellets ( these two supplements https://www.amazon.com/HERPTIVITE-Multivitamin-reptiles-amphibians-Bottle/dp/B00076HT3S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=herpavite&qid=1558571895&s=gateway&sr=8-1)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes the lights on from 8:00 a.m to 10:30 p.m. is good. :) Or you could start earlier + turn them off sooner if you needed to, but the 14.5 hours is good.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh wow, I've actually always had them on for 12 hours most of his life... Listened to the first vet and stuck with that. Well I will most definitely be bumping it up even more then, I think he's going to take some time to adjust to that but I never knew 16 hours of light was okay for them. Makes total sense though, will adjust his timer so his uvb and heat remain on longer now!

As for the calcium, I am holding off a bit on dusting his proteins in it because he's a brat and won't touch his worms sometimes if they're dusted. And my main goal right now is to get him to eat more so tiny king gets what he wants for now. :p The vet recommended I dusted his pellets and worms in the calcium, but I also was worried about that being too much. I'm only dusting his superworms in calcium, multivitamins, and probiotics since he typically eats those without a problem. He gets only a couple of those daily, trying to get him to eat the other worms and dubias more though. I'm just happy he's doing better, so thankful the liquid calcium seems to be doing the trick!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great to hear Milo is starting to do better now! It sounds like the calcium is really
helping him out. Has he been getting around a little easier now?
An increase in lighting would be helpful. I think the dusting schedule you have him on is
perfectly fine, he should be getting plenty of nutrition.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Another update on Mr. Milo! He seems completely back to normal, is happier than ever, and has gained back some weight already. He weight about 450 grams at the vet and now weighs 462 grams, and is back to his normal eating habits! Taking him off the antibiotics was the best thing for him since he started feeling better days after getting off those. The tremors are still happening but still WAY less and less frequent than before.

Though I don't think the tremors will ever go away, they have definitely not worsened and his overall behavior and activity level have actually gotten so much better. The longer lighting schedule + the calcium supplement seem to really have helped him, as he's super active nowadays in his new set up! Thrilled that he's doing better, now just to tackle the salad and roach issue... which he still of course refuses. :p

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for the update on Milo! :D
I am happy to hear that he is doing so much better now. Sometimes they will have a twitch or
neurological problems that just never fully go away. However, if he is able to get around & has
a good quality of life, that's all that matters.
The antibiotics are very hard on them so it's good you did take him off of them since they seemed
to have a negative impact on him. I'm glad he likes his new setup & schedule too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom