Zoomed Repti Basking Spot Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Is it normal to run through two of these in 7 months? I got a 50W the same day I got my beardy, October 25th, 2018. I cant remember exactly when the 100W was purchased, but it was a few months down the line when the 50W wasn't quite getting desired temps. Eventually the 100W burnt out and the 50W was used again, surprisingly getting near identical temps to the 100W. Both of them are now burnt out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would say they are bad bulbs-- I had a 150 watt burn out in 2 days- I took it back to the store and they exchanged it- I cant get my tank to heat up w/ a regular house hold bulb I have tried and the one I got from Home Depot it was a Phillips Par 38 90 watt and it was sooooooooooooooo hot it heated the basking spot over 200 degrees-- so I went back to the Exo Terro bulbs-
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I'm about to try a 65 watt halogen flood from Lowes. Will definitely be testing it without her in the tank. Acurite therm is measuring 99F but Im assuming thats air temp rather than surface temp? I dont have a temp gun :/

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Update: I was not the one who got it from the store and they mistakenly got a 75W halogen flood but it works wonders. Temp directly under ranges from 100-105, and she enjoys it far more than the temps I used to get. No gaping so I assume it's not too hot yet.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This is why a lot keepers here (in Australia) don't buy reptile brand basking globes unless they are MVBs and simply visit the local Bunnings or Coles or Mitre10 or Woolworths to get a domestic exterior rated par38 incandescent or halogen floodglobe.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
kingofnobbys":28o21u28 said:
This is why a lot keepers here (in Australia) don't buy reptile brand basking globes unless they are MVBs and simply visit the local Bunnings or Coles or Mitre10 or Woolworths to get a domestic exterior rated par38 incandescent or halogen floodglobe.

I spoke too soon. Barely a week after getting them, the bulb burnt out. Got a different socket since it's the third bulb to go in a ridiculous amount of time.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah at this point I'd say it's your fixture. What was the fixture rated at and whats the new one?

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
The old one was rated for 100W, burnt a 50W and 100W out in 3 months a piece. It burnt the 75W out within a week. The new one is rated for 150W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom