Natural slate tiles, no good

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have read many times over that BD parents use slate tile for substrate, which I bought and have had in my scaley love's 4x2x2 Zen as substrate for about 2 + months now. I have found that the slate (bought from Home Depot as suggested) tile breaks up very easily into thin shards while cleaning, and holds in the vinegar smell, used to spot clean poo removal from her home. I have the non adherent shelf liner underneath the slate tile, I'm just about ready to just throw those tiles out, they're SO porous! They seem to soak up everything (especially smells, which means protozoa, ect.... am I right?) and I don't want little buggies in my baby's stomach (she's very picky, and will only eat Crickets at this time... a continuing battle...)
What do I do?! Gahhh! I HATE CRICKETS but my baby is only shy of 1 year, and has health issues currently being treated, and refuses to eat ANYTHING else. Any suggestions, fellow special needs scaley parents?

FYI
She's being treated w/ 0.02mL of 200mg/mL of Tazisef IM every 72 hours, alternating front legs for dragging her back limbs. This all started after bringing her to the vet 2 months ago for 1 swollen toe on her left hind limb; she's been on antibiotic and anti inflammatory since then. I rescued her from a Petco November 20th 2018, she was almost 16g and 7" at that time. I loved her at first surf...

I'd love for any second, third, or fourth opinion, if you're a BD expert. She's my first BD, and most likely my last, I love her more than I could ever say. I just want her to live, and be a happy and healthy Dragon, despite where she came from... I'll do anything to make that happen.

Nobody tells Drogonya that pet store Dragons are not top quality...

Help me help her..... she's seeing a very prestigious herp vet in our area, but also very expensive (I'm sure you're aware of herp vet costs). I'm doing everything I've been told to do, a very attentive parent. I am NOT going to give up on her, because she came from a pet store. She's my baby, and I'm her mommy. We are her family, and she is ours. Forever.

We really just need some "special needs BD" advice. Our dr. Told us BD'S can live dragging back limbs happily. Does anyone else have a BD that is paraplegic?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You are right - slate is not appropriate for the very reasons you give. No one I've met in person has slate tiles in their bearded dragon tanks.

Disadvantages of Using Real (natural) Slate
Slate as a natural product can be a relatively expensive material to buy.
It’s sometimes rough to the touch and can peel leaving shards of stone and divots around your home (or tank --- impaction risk if ingested) .
In addition to this, glossy finishes must be polished regularly, and tumbled or honed slate must be sealed regularly.
regarding porosity :
properties-of-natural-rocks.png

Granite would be my choice of natural stone tiles in a reptile's tank for substate. Or sandstone (because it will help trim the nails and is easy to find and replace and very cheap here.

Of cause fake slate ceramic tiles (made to look like natural slate) but without the layering are a good choice.
These http://www.tilewizards.com.au/slate-look-floor-tiles/ would be fine to use.

I only ever use paper toweling or ceramic floor tiles for my dragons.

Can I suggest you rename this thread to " DONT USE NATURAL SLATE TILES " this will help others avoid the issues you've highlighted in future.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am sorry you got a bad tile - I use ceramic slate tile in my tank and have not the issues your having - they dont hold the smell of vinegar and clean very easy --- I would get rid of the ones you have and start over - you can go w/ a textured non adhesive shelf liner that would be good and easy to clean - it sounds like your dragon has MBD? Did the vet say anything about MBD? As for feeding try her on dubias - they are way better for her anyway-- how is she catching the crickets w/ her dragging her back legs? When you got her did she have the issues w/ the back legs? Also what kind of UVB are you using for her?
Karrie

advannoy13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lhxm97q said:
I am sorry you got a bad tile - I use ceramic slate tile in my tank and have not the issues your having - they dont hold the smell of vinegar and clean very easy --- I would get rid of the ones you have and start over - you can go w/ a textured non adhesive shelf liner that would be good and easy to clean - it sounds like your dragon has MBD? Did the vet say anything about MBD? As for feeding try her on dubias - they are way better for her anyway-- how is she catching the crickets w/ her dragging her back legs? When you got her did she have the issues w/ the back legs? Also what kind of UVB are you using for her?
Karrie

Here is her info, set up, lighting, temps, ect.... she won't eat dubia's, I've tried many, many times.
As for the crickets, she just sits in one spot and waits for them to walk by her then eats them as they pass.
She did not drag her back legs at all when I adopted her, and the vet did mention MBD, but not what I could do about it. I'll have to bring that up at her next appt...

103691-1387717142.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
From what I can see it looks like you have good lighting--- extra calcium is gong to help -- you can buy liquid but I don't know dosage you need to ask Tracie drache613 or ABHD about that but she may be able to regain use -- she needs to be 10-11 inches from basking UVB
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":2ghxryi0 said:
From what I can see it looks like you have good lighting--- extra calcium is gong to help -- you can buy liquid but I don't know dosage you need to ask Tracie drache613 or ABHD about that but she may be able to regain use -- she needs to be 10-11 inches from basking UVB
Karrie

Consider LIQUID CALCIUM such as can be bought to raise birds.
An excellent product I've used for several rescued lizards that is readily taken orally by syringe is VetaFarm CALCIVET : https://vetafarm.com.au/product/calcivet/
Direct dose: 0.2mL (4 drops) per 100g body weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom