Won't eat her veggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDog00

My beardie's name is Rex. I have had her for a little over a month and it worries me that she won't eat veggies. She is about 4 months old (Petsmart didn't know exactly when she was born). I have tried feeding her mustard greens, yellow squash, and green beans. If I tried to feed her the mustard greens she would eat one piece then wouldn't eat anymore. I also tried giving her freeze dried veggies but she didn't eat any of that. I know their diets need to be about 20% veggies so I am worried. I don't know whether I am not being patient enough or whether I should be really worried. Please help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 4 months, don't worry about it too much. They tend to prefer bugs over veges at that age because they need the protein to support growth spurts. Just keep veges available regularly so they are familiar as a food source. As they reach full size and their growth slows (usually around 12-18 months) their appetites decrease and they are more likely to start digging into their veges.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Cooper Dragon is right --- I wouldnt worry about the vegies Hiccup didnt really eat any either till he was almost a yr---- you said PetSmart - what kind of lighting do you have in your tank ? Did you buy one of the kits?
Karrie

MadDog00

Original Poster
Thanks Cooper Dragon. I have been reading a bunch of sites but they all say different things but I will try what you said. Thanks!

MadDog00

Original Poster
KarrieRee— I did buy her from Petsmart. I bought the atarter kit but I don’t like most of it so I have been slowly upgrading her tank. Right now I have a basking light, uvb bulb, ceramic heat bulb, and a moonlight bulb. She seems to be doing great and her tank has really heated up since I upgraded her light.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MadDog00":12j94w4u said:
KarrieRee— I did buy her from Petsmart. I bought the atarter kit but I don’t like most of it so I have been slowly upgrading her tank. Right now I have a basking light, uvb bulb, ceramic heat bulb, and a moonlight bulb. She seems to be doing great and her tank has really heated up since I upgraded her light.

Get rid of the moonlight bulb - they are not appropriate for a bearded dragon as they give off visible light which can disturb a dragon's sleep at night.

Exactly what is the UVB bulb ?
(if it's the kit globe it's likely a 10%UVB 13W compact and needs to be replaced right away with AT LEAST a 26W UVB200 , the dragon needs to be able to bask within 8 inches of the globe ( assuming it's in a reflector style hood or a reflector dome and there is no mesh under it ).
The UVB globe needs to be mounted UNDER the lid , so a new hood is needed - I'd recommend an ExoTerra NanoHood .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes please replace the UVB -- I am not sure what kingofnobbies is talking about w/ the UVB but most on here recommend the Reptison 10.0 T 5 or a T 8 tube bulb NO COIL-- and it does need to go inside the tank for a T 8 8-10 inches and a T 5 10-11 inches from him --- and please get rid of the colored bulb- they can cause long term eye damage if not blindness!! once you get your lighting in order you will more difference in the behavior--- please ask for more help we can help you and the baby
Karrie

MadDog00

Original Poster
Right now I have the Reptison 10.0 desert bulb. What about night viewing? I read on the box that it doesn’t hurt the beardie’s eyes and it doesn’t mess with their sleeping. Is there another bulb you would recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The only bulbs you need in the tank are a bright white basking bulb for heat/ basking - and good UVB the Reptison 10.0 long tube no coil either the T 8 or a T 5 which takes a flat fixture - and if you want like I do a white regular NO LED house hold bulb like a 60 watt for just light to light the tank I dont like a tank where it is half dark and half light during the day its lit up for 12 hrs and all lights off for 12 hrs -- colored bulbs are harmful -- they are like us and like to sleep in the dark it slows their metabolism so they get better rest --- please get rid of the colored bulb who ever told you that or if you read it it is not true --- and they dont know what they are talking about!
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom