beardie went to vet and hasn't acted right since

Status
Not open for further replies.
my beardied which is 7 months old went to the vet cause I thought he might have tail rot. he did have to get a small portion of his tail amputated due to exposed bone, it was like that when we bought him. he was put on antibiotics which i had to give him with a syringe. he just lays on his bed and bearly eats when feed. I think he might be in hibernation but its summer here and not sure if that matters. Please help I'm so worried about him.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

Can you tell us what type and dose of antibiotic he's on?

The antibiotics often cause upset stomach. Don't be surprised if he has abnormal feces as well. Generally, you just have to stay the course and power through... It's good that you got him to the vet, I am sure the exposed bone hurt a lot and the antibiotics will keep him safe. As a Microbiologist, it's my duty to stress that using the complete course of antibiotics is very important, unless your beardie is in an extremely critical state because of them.

If you are extremely concerned about his appetite and energy, you can try feeding one of the "syringe" diets. ReptiBoost is popular, as is Critical Care. I've used both with my rescue animals, including a mostly blind leopard gecko who refused insects for years due to her injuries (She was on the liquid diet for 3 years before I received her 6 months ago. As of four months ago, I got her accepting meal worms, phoenix worms, and wax worms. She's now also willing to take crickets and dubia roaches when hand or tong fed as well!). For your situation, I would suggest the Reptiboost, as it is more readily available in most pet stores and comes in smaller packages (the size you would want while using it for a temporary diet) as well as with clear and complete instructions for bearded dragons in particular. Unlike Critical Care, where you need to do a lot of googling and cross referencing, Reptiboost comes with everything you need including the syringe.

Even if you do feed a liquid diet, I would not suggest force feeding him much. Give him a little time, I am fairly certain he'll recuperate just fine even without the liquid diet. You also might want to call your vet with your concerns, they might be able to ease your fears.

Out of curiosity, what is your set up otherwise? Now, of all times, it's especially important that everything be spot-on.

Good luck,
-Ellentomologist

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know what type of antibiotic he is on & what the dose is.
Are you giving him probiotics to help offset the negative effects that antibiotics cause on
their system? If not, you can try to look for non dairy organic soy yogurt, or non dairy powdered
acidophiliz or bromelain powder to give to him daily while he is on the meds & for a week or two
after he is done with his meds.
Is his tail healing up pretty well now?
They can go into brumation or a slow down phase in late spring to summer time, but it isn't real
common. Our male tends to do that also, during the summer.
Is his beard black or normal color?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, do you have before + after pics of him ? Also, how was he acting before amputation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom