Cannabis Leafs

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby Drache613 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:40 pm

Oh My, people please! The OP was not implying he was giving any of
the harmful substances that contain the THC to his dragon. There have actually been quite
a few studies in the last few years which discussed the use of Cannibinoids for animal use.
There have been a growing number of people using the CBD oil for help with cancer & skin
ailments on their dragons.
Please refrain from using offensive language as well, as it is covered in the TOS.
I find it is always best to have an open mind when it comes to alternative therapy. Otherwise,
there is no progress. Of course, caution always has to be exercised as well. Please be
respectful of others here!

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38404
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby BipolarGrower013 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:42 am

Drache613 wrote:Oh My, people please! The OP was not implying he was giving any of
the harmful substances that contain the THC to his dragon. There have actually been quite
a few studies in the last few years which discussed the use of Cannibinoids for animal use.
There have been a growing number of people using the CBD oil for help with cancer & skin
ailments on their dragons.
Please refrain from using offensive language as well, as it is covered in the TOS.
I find it is always best to have an open mind when it comes to alternative therapy. Otherwise,
there is no progress. Of course, caution always has to be exercised as well. Please be
respectful of others here!

Tracie


I thought I made it pretty obvious that I didn't give him anything containing cannabinoids some people just still have a negative view of a plant and judge others for it, then automatically assume because I smoke weed that I'm an asshat that doesn't care about my animals. Granted looking back not knowing if the normal leaf could harm him and taking the chance was kind of ignorant but I wasn't sitting there blowing smoke in his face trying to get him high I was trying to find variation in the food I give him.

I have activated charcoal on hand. I grow my own medicine and need to contain the smell and activated charcoal and carbon scrubbers not only hide the smell but also clean the air and I live in an area that has at least 3 good exotic pet veterinarians so if by any chance the 2 small leafs I gave him did harm him he would have been very well taken care of.

I literally don't do any drugs besides weed and that's only because it's been the only thing to HELP my mental health as my name suggests a little.

Thank you to anyone who gave constructive feedback. While my beardie didn't have any harm from the leafs and chowed down like it was his last meal in won't be giving him anymore untill I know how it effects beardies.

I probably won't ever need to make a post here again so I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
BipolarGrower013
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 4:04 am

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby claudiusx » Sat May 25, 2019 5:45 am

Well I hope it isn't your last post here. For the most part this is a great helpful community and we'd love for you to stick around.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14529
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby Drache613 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:49 am

Hello,

I hope you continue to post here, we normally have very interactive & constructive posts here.
Have you posted any pictures of your dragon here so we can see him? We all love pictures
here. Let us know how things are going!

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38404
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby Bluekush » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:37 am

So I'm just gunna come out here and say this. My bearded dragon is almost two. I also grow cannabis. There's only certain veggies I can get my bearded dragon to eat dandelions, arugala, and some other stuff that hard to get. But he loves eating my weed plants. He'll eat the bud to if I let him. I don't because it's mine. But this is a little ridiculous, if that bearded dragon was living in the wild and came across the plant he would eat it so I really don't see the problem. I can't see it poisening the bearded dragon as I let mine eat fan leaves that have thc. It's not poisen like that it's not even active until its heated up ie. smoking or cooking.
Bluekush
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby claudiusx » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 am

Thanks for posting your experience. It's a subject lacking a lot of that. So the more the merrier.
Im not sure it will ever be considered a real healthy addition to salads (compared to staple greens like collard mustard and dandelion) but it is great to confirm or deny toxicity.

How often do you feed your dragon the cannabis leaves, and how much does he consume usually?
How long have you been doing this?

Do your notice any behavioral changes at all (good or bad) when he eats the thc leaves?
And it sounds like you've never fed him the bud, but the wording leaves it up for interpretation so can you confirm you have or have not let your dragon try the bud?

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14529
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:34 am

Bluekush wrote:So I'm just gunna come out here and say this. My bearded dragon is almost two. I also grow cannabis. There's only certain veggies I can get my bearded dragon to eat dandelions, arugala, and some other stuff that hard to get. But he loves eating my weed plants. He'll eat the bud to if I let him. I don't because it's mine. But this is a little ridiculous, if that bearded dragon was living in the wild and came across the plant he would eat it so I really don't see the problem. I can't see it poisening the bearded dragon as I let mine eat fan leaves that have thc. It's not poisen like that it's not even active until its heated up ie. smoking or cooking.


Sorry pal, no wild cannabis plants in central bearded dragon natural range , too hot, too dry. The cows, sheep, goats, camels, roos and wallabies would eat it all long before any hungry bearded dragon found it, much like everything else green and "herby".
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10564
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby Bluekush » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 am

kingofnobbys wrote:
Bluekush wrote:So I'm just gunna come out here and say this. My bearded dragon is almost two. I also grow cannabis. There's only certain veggies I can get my bearded dragon to eat dandelions, arugala, and some other stuff that hard to get. But he loves eating my weed plants. He'll eat the bud to if I let him. I don't because it's mine. But this is a little ridiculous, if that bearded dragon was living in the wild and came across the plant he would eat it so I really don't see the problem. I can't see it poisening the bearded dragon as I let mine eat fan leaves that have thc. It's not poisen like that it's not even active until its heated up ie. smoking or cooking.


Sorry pal, no wild cannabis plants in central bearded dragon natural range , too hot, too dry. The cows, sheep, goats, camels, roos and wallabies would eat it all long before any hungry bearded dragon found it, much like everything else green and "herby".


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_ ... nfestation actually cannabis grows naturally all over the world even in climate it shouldn't be in it is an aggressive weed.
Bluekush
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:30 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby Bluekush » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:00 am

claudiusx wrote:Thanks for posting your experience. It's a subject lacking a lot of that. So the more the merrier.
Im not sure it will ever be considered a real healthy addition to salads (compared to staple greens like collard mustard and dandelion) but it is great to confirm or deny toxicity.

How often do you feed your dragon the cannabis leaves, and how much does he consume usually?
How long have you been doing this?

Do your notice any behavioral changes at all (good or bad) when he eats the thc leaves?
And it sounds like you've never fed him the bud, but the wording leaves it up for interpretation so can you confirm you have or have not let your dragon try the bud?

-Brandon


The first time I realised that he liked to eat weed I had it sitting out strong potent buds. And he just walked up to it and ate it. (the only time he's had the bud itself).he was like 8 months old at the time I watched him the next couple of days he seemed fine. In the last 3 months he's had the fan leaves almost every day mixed in with his salad. This last month he's bin eating more veggies than ever. I'm guessing that's because of his age tho turning two soon in September.
Bluekush
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:29 am

Bluekush wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:
Bluekush wrote:So I'm just gunna come out here and say this. My bearded dragon is almost two. I also grow cannabis. There's only certain veggies I can get my bearded dragon to eat dandelions, arugala, and some other stuff that hard to get. But he loves eating my weed plants. He'll eat the bud to if I let him. I don't because it's mine. But this is a little ridiculous, if that bearded dragon was living in the wild and came across the plant he would eat it so I really don't see the problem. I can't see it poisening the bearded dragon as I let mine eat fan leaves that have thc. It's not poisen like that it's not even active until its heated up ie. smoking or cooking.


Sorry pal, no wild cannabis plants in central bearded dragon natural range , too hot, too dry. The cows, sheep, goats, camels, roos and wallabies would eat it all long before any hungry bearded dragon found it, much like everything else green and "herby".




https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_ ... nfestation actually cannabis grows naturally all over the world even in climate it shouldn't be in it is an aggressive weed.


My home turf …. I live in the hunter valley , and I've never encountered a wild cannabis plant in my 62 years , and I've done plenty 4x4 trips down very remote fire trails all over the valley .

Seen plenty of pot grown in backyards , so I know what the plant looks like , and alas , I also know the stench of it being smoked , guy next door is addicted to it and in summer months we can't have a window or door open without the stench invading our home (we happen to be downwind of him).

Cops and local councils destroy every cannabis plant they find ( they are ripped up and either burnt on site or taken to the local hazardous waste incinerator for immediate destruction , and what illicit plantations are eluding the rangers, and trial bike cops in remote hard to access areas of the valley don't last long in bushfire season.

No wild central bearded dragon in the hunter valley, the bearded dragons here are eastern bearded dragons and there is a lot of other herby stuff other than pot for them to munch on. BTW the Hunter Valley is bigger than many USA states and European countries , 11,252 sq miles.
So the "infestion" of hemp of 12 sq mi claimed in the Wiki article represents about 0.1 % of the area of the hunter valley , that was over 50 years ago , it's moved from hidden forest cannabis plantations to grow houses now ( easier to hide apparently ).

Strickly illegal to grow cannabis here in Australia , and illegal to have it in your possession.

If you want places where there are cannabis plantations hidden in the bush , the far north coast (Nimbin is the place for you , well maybe not now as a they've had a boost in cop numbers in the last few years who are targeting the growers and dealers and users , and the magistrates court in Nimbin is working overtime sending most the growers and their dealers and users (especially those who driving under the influence) to prison. Which IMO is a very good thing.

I think zero tolerance for illicit drug production, distribution and possession is the best way to keep everyone else safe. I am in favor of literally throwing the book at these people. Cannabis use in Australian should be only allowed under strict medical supervision and not in any way be made normalized as a social drug. We have more than enough problems with drinkers.

If you are a user , it's very bad form letting your pet dragon anywhere near your cannabis plants or cannabis products or the smoke created by you.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10564
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby claudiusx » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:39 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Sorry pal, no wild cannabis plants in central bearded dragon natural range , too hot, too dry.

Bluekush wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_ ... nfestation actually cannabis grows naturally all over the world even in climate it shouldn't be in it is an aggressive weed.

wikipedia link wrote:The Hunter Valley cannabis outbreak was an infestation of the marijuana plant, Cannabis sativa in the Hunter Valley in New South Wales, Australia. At its peak, the infestation covered about 30 square kilometres (12 sq mi). It took nine years for the New South Wales government to eradicate it.[1]


Lol, talk about a convenient wiki article lol.

kingofnobbys wrote:My home turf …. I live in the hunter valley , and I've never encountered a wild cannabis plant in my 62 years.

Seen plenty of pot grown in backyards , so I know what the plant looks like , and alas , I also know the stench of it being smoked , guy next door is addicted to it and in summer months we can't have a window or door open without the stench invading our home (we happen to be downwind of him).

Cops and local councils destroy every cannabis plant they find , and what illicit plantations are eluding the rangers, and trial bike cops in remote hard to access areas of the valley don't last long in bushfire season.

No wild central bearded dragon in the hunter valley, the bearded dragons here are eastern bearded dragons and there is a lot of other herby stuff other than pot for them to munch on. BTW the Hunter Valley is bigger than many USA states and European countries , 11,252 sq miles.
So the "infestion" of hemp of 12 sq mi claimed in the Wiki article represents about 0.1 % of the area of the hunter valley , that was over 50 years ago , it's moved from hidden forest cannabis plantations to grow houses now ( easier to hide apparently ).

Strickly illegal to grow cannabis here in Australia , and illegal to have it in your possession.

If you want places where there are cannabis plantations hidden in the bush , the far north coast (Nimbin is the place for you , well maybe not as a they've had a boost in cop numbers and most the growers there and their dealers are now in prison.


Who cares? You're arguing over whether or not pot can grow in Australia, or the semantics of an infestation. It doesn't matter a single bit if you've never seen a cannabis plant growing in your 62 years. The only reason it got brought up was because blue was giving a reason for why he personally felt ok with letting the dragon eat it. It's not your place to judge his or anyone elses reasons for doing something.

This topic is about feeding the plant to dragons and the effect it has. Not whether or not you think it's feasible for cannabis to grow wildly, or how annoying your neighbors are.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14529
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby claudiusx » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:44 am

kingofnobbys wrote:If you are a user , it's very bad form letting your pet dragon anywhere near your cannabis plants or cannabis products


In your uneducated opinion. That's the purpose of this thread, so we all can get educated on the matter. Don't scare people away and prevent us from learning. So far we have 0 confirmed cases of ill effect from consuming the plant (inhaling smoke is a different subject) and 2 separate accounts of no ill effects from eating the plant.

So how about you let people share their experience, stop judging people, and not demand that everyone think the same as you.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14529
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:55 am

claudiusx wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:If you are a user , it's very bad form letting your pet dragon anywhere near your cannabis plants or cannabis products


In your uneducated opinion. That's the purpose of this thread, so we all can get educated on the matter. Don't scare people away and prevent us from learning. So far we have 0 confirmed cases of ill effect from consuming the plant (inhaling smoke is a different subject) and 2 separate accounts of no ill effects from eating the plant.

So how about you let people share their experience, stop judging people, and not demand that everyone think the same as you.

-Brandon


Two people being very unwise doesn't make something "safe" to do. Their pets are being risked IMO.
We all know bearded dragons are very good at hiding the fact that they are ill. So their keepers not noticing any problems afterwards is not proof of no ill effects.

I'm yet to see any evidence that allowing a dragon eat cannabis is either safe or the plant nutritious to give to them.
Please don't cite pro-Cannabis sites who have a vested interest in expanding the use of the noxious stuff.

Not the least being the effect of the toxins in the plant being consumed by a reptile who has a much lower metabolic rate than a human .
Ingested cannabis is more potent than asperated cannabis smoke . This a well known fact. In humans cannabis that's ingested (taken by mouth) is known to produce very acute toxicity symptoms such as cyclic vomiting, acute psychosis, agitation, seizures, and sedation. In severe cases, hyperthermia, rhabdomyolysis, and renal failure.
Just a part of one leaf or bud is a huge dose of cannabis toxins for a dragon that might if it's lucky be 600 to 800 g max cf with human who might be 80kg or more (100 times the body mass to dilute the toxins). This has the effect of amplifying the biological / toxic effects for the dragon.

Pretty clear Blue knows nothing about Australia or even the natural range of p.vitticepts and really a random wiki article about a long gone cannabis infestation in a small part of the Hunter Valley to some how lamely justify letting his dragon eat some of his homegrown pot. Roll Eyes.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10564
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby claudiusx » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:06 am

Like I said, just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Newsflash, lots of ways to care for and raise dragons, and not everyone has to do it exactly how you demand.

So lets let the people who have experience chime in, and let the people who don't have experience sit back and take it in.

Or do you have something against people posting their experiences? If so I suggest maybe just staying away from this thread if it bothers you so deeply.

Do you have evidence that consuming the leaves is harmful? Or is this now you being hand wavy without a scientific leg to stand on? :wink:

kingofnobbys wrote:Pretty clear Blue knows nothing about Australia or even the natural range of p.vitticepts

Also, pretty rude to once again question someones intelligence. Real strong of you.
All blue stated about Australia was that weed can infact grow there. He posted a link stating that it had infact became invasive and took 9 years to eradicate, proving it can grow there. You also stated in your response that people do grow it in Australia too, despite police efforts. So everything he said about Australia was true...

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 14529
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Cannabis Leafs

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:38 am

claudiusx wrote:Like I said, just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Newsflash, lots of ways to care for and raise dragons, and not everyone has to do it exactly how you demand.

So lets let the people who have experience chime in, and let the people who don't have experience sit back and take it in.

Or do you have something against people posting their experiences? If so I suggest maybe just staying away from this thread if it bothers you so deeply.

Do you have evidence that consuming the leaves is harmful? Or is this now you being hand wavy without a scientific leg to stand on? :wink:

kingofnobbys wrote:Pretty clear Blue knows nothing about Australia or even the natural range of p.vitticepts

Also, pretty rude to once again question someones intelligence. Real strong of you.
All blue stated about Australia was that weed can infact grow there. He posted a link stating that it had infact became invasive and took 9 years to eradicate, proving it can grow there. You also stated in your response that people do grow it in Australia too, despite police efforts. So everything he said about Australia was true...

-Brandon


Took so long to eradicate because users and suppliers were continuously planting new secret "plantations" and because it was so lucrative to sell to users in "the big smoke" and it was that period in the 1960s when the hippy "culture arrived in Australia .
It's a wonder the cannabis growers managed to get any cannabis to grow at all in their secret illegal cannabis plantations in the lower Hunter Valley in the period mentioned as it was a very hot and dry period then ( one of the worse droughts here on record (1963–1968)).

Blue's wiki citation was in direct response to this
Sorry pal, no wild cannabis plants in central bearded dragon natural range , too hot, too dry......

Most of p.vitticep's natural range is in very sparcely populated (hippy free) and very dry territory.

So if you are going to quote me , quote me in context in future.

Grows everywhere that there's enough water available all the time. That excludes all of p.vitticep's natural range and most of p.barbata's natural range too.

Do you actually have any facts to contribute or just more armwaving argumentative nonsense ?
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10564
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: claudiusx, Crisisalive, sardemonlord