Question about Fleece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone,

After reading some threads on here about how much their beardies love to burrow in fleece, I tried it with Pancake using some blankets. Sure enough, he happily burrowed in them and took a nap. I have a large piece which I would like to cut into strips to put in his cave at night for him to burrow in. However, I also have a 16W heating pad that's turned on at night. Does anyone have any experience with fleece and heating pads?

Now that I think about it I should've gotten the temperatures of the tile last night to post here :roll:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Heating pads are not recommended as bearded dragons heat from topside not from their tummies - if you need extra heat in the tank I would get a CHE-- if your temps in the tank drop below 65 at nite I would invest in one of those-
Karrie

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hello,

So first of all you normally don't want to use a UTH with a bearded dragon except under special circumstances. Instead, I would recommend a CHE, though if you have a reason for the UTH I would love to hear it and educate myself!

To address your question, though, any temperature that would burn or melt fleece would kill your dragon long before said burning/melting was an issue. Most fleeced are rated at least to 300F, often higher, as they are regularly used as "Rescue blankets" and therefor need to be safe while being stored inside vehicles with wildly vacillating temperatures.

Hope that helps!
-Ellentomologist

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":915a4p4r said:
Heating pads are not recommended as bearded dragons heat from topside not from their tummies - if you need extra heat in the tank I would get a CHE-- if your temps in the tank drop below 65 at nite I would invest in one of those-
Karrie

Do you have any ideas on how to make the tank actually retain the heat from those? We tried a ceramic heat emitter when I first got him, and it didn't bring the temperatures up at all :/

Ellentomologist":915a4p4r said:
Hello,

So first of all you normally don't want to use a UTH with a bearded dragon except under special circumstances. Instead, I would recommend a CHE, though if you have a reason for the UTH I would love to hear it and educate myself!

To address your question, though, any temperature that would burn or melt fleece would kill your dragon long before said burning/melting was an issue. Most fleeced are rated at least to 300F, often higher, as they are regularly used as "Rescue blankets" and therefor need to be safe while being stored inside vehicles with wildly vacillating temperatures.

Hope that helps!
-Ellentomologist

I was reading a lot about them before I made the purchase, I've had it for a year now. The reviews seemed to say that the zoomed ones get hot spots whereas the exo terra ones tend to just lose their heat overtime and can be paired with a thermostat. I decided to go with the exo terra one, and I haven't had any issues with it. His tiles get to a nice cozy temperature (temp gun shows 77.3F for the tile where it is) and it helps his digestion. Especially when I first got him, he had a lot of tummy aches and having the heat pad on seemed to help. Additionally, when he eats his supper (5PM), my beardie will not go to the bathroom until the following morning, even though he eats it right away and his lights go off at 9PM and he basks. When he doesnt sleep on the undertank heater or if I forget to plug it in, he's really groggy in the morning and gets backed up more often. (Edit: I'd like to clarify that the heating pad is on the underside of his terrarium, with glass and then the ceramic tile on top. It only heats up two tiles in his tank, so by "not sleeping on it" I mean he isnt laying on one of those two tiles)

There was something else on this forum that said having an under tank heater or heat source at night can help their immune system. But if you guys think the undertank heater could be a danger in the future im not opposed to putting it on a thermostat or timer so it shuts off part way through the night. Unless, as I mentioned before, there's some way that I'm unaware of that makes the heat from a CHE actually raise the temperatures.

I assumed since he's alright with the heating pad that the fleece wouldnt be an issue, but I figured its better to ask a stupid question than to regret not asking :p

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a che 100 watt bulb--- is on 24/7 in winter months--- keeps his tank around 70 or so at nite--- you don't want it any hotter at nite--- you can use fleece on a heating pad but have always been told heat rocks heating pads we're not good-- others would need to give input on this
Karrie

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lip2s4c said:
I have a che 100 watt bulb--- is on 24/7 in winter months--- keeps his tank around 70 or so at nite--- you don't want it any hotter at nite--- you can use fleece on a heating pad but have always been told heat rocks heating pads we're not good-- others would need to give input on this
Karrie

In the winter my house is warm enough, its more so during the spring and summer months due to A/C. When we tried the CHE I believe it was a 75W as my mom didnt feel comfortable with any higher. During the night it didnt make the temperatures budge, nor during the day. The bulb was returned and tried out for another but that one didnt do much either :/

Heat rocks I was aware of, his previous owner left one in the container with him but I chucked it out. I googled under tank heaters quickly just now and it seems like there's a minority who use them but most have them on a thermostat.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
I was reading a lot about them before I made the purchase, I've had it for a year now. The reviews seemed to say that the zoomed ones get hot spots whereas the exo terra ones tend to just lose their heat overtime and can be paired with a thermostat. I decided to go with the exo terra one, and I haven't had any issues with it. His tiles get to a nice cozy temperature (temp gun shows 77.3F for the tile where it is) and it helps his digestion. Especially when I first got him, he had a lot of tummy aches and having the heat pad on seemed to help. Additionally, when he eats his supper (5PM), my beardie will not go to the bathroom until the following morning, even though he eats it right away and his lights go off at 9PM and he basks. When he doesnt sleep on the undertank heater or if I forget to plug it in, he's really groggy in the morning and gets backed up more often. (Edit: I'd like to clarify that the heating pad is on the underside of his terrarium, with glass and then the ceramic tile on top. It only heats up two tiles in his tank, so by "not sleeping on it" I mean he isnt laying on one of those two tiles)

There was something else on this forum that said having an under tank heater or heat source at night can help their immune system. But if you guys think the undertank heater could be a danger in the future im not opposed to putting it on a thermostat or timer so it shuts off part way through the night. Unless, as I mentioned before, there's some way that I'm unaware of that makes the heat from a CHE actually raise the temperatures.

I assumed since he's alright with the heating pad that the fleece wouldnt be an issue, but I figured its better to ask a stupid question than to regret not asking :p

Ah! So the heating pad is essentially just a "supplemental" heat source as opposed to being a primary one? Bit of a miscommunication there, I though it was the main heat source you were using. In that case I don't really see much harm to it provided you're certain it's staying in the mid-to-high 70s as you say it is.

I mean, I personally wouldn't do it, but I've had really good luck with my CHEs and also made a custom wood enclosure (the inside is lined with textured linoleum so there's no issue with either bacteria or him sliding around) for my boy, so there's not really anywhere I could put a heat mat even if I wanted to. Instead I have his primary basking heat source on a 12-12 cycle with a small CHE on the same end on 24/7 during the winter, and generally off during the summer (fall and spring are a day-by-day basis of how cold it's going to be).

From my understanding, the only *problem* with using a heat mat is that it's difficult for them to regulate with since they are adapted to regulate their internal temperatures using radiant heat from above. With this in mind, Beardies are adapted to sense and regulate their temperature in manners conducive to this - changing color (darker to get hotter, lighter to cool), using their "third eye" as a thermometer (some debate over this), and of course moving to cooler/shadier areas. When used as a primary heat source, then, a UTH is an issue because it provides the BD with heat through conduction and, to a lesser extant, convection instead of radiation, with which they are less able to monitor and change their own internal temperature. If the UTH gets too hot (which many of them do without a thermostat) or the BD cannot get away from it, you run the risk of burning or overheating your dragon. But, if it's only a small section of the tank and only reaching the mid-to-upper 70s which is an acceptable night time ambient temperature for BDs, I think you're perfectly fine using it as a "I'm worried about my scale-baby getting to cold" measure. Just make sure that it really is maintaining an appropriate temperature regardless of the season in your house and doesn't have any shorts.

I would definitely put it on a thermostat, if I were in your situation. JumpStart is the cheapest brand that most people "trust", though note that it is not /meant/ for reptiles but rather for starting seeds. Literally hundreds of people use them for reptiles, though, including myself without issue. I even use some Century brand ones and have never noticed any difference between them and JumpStart besides being half the price, but do keep in mind that there may be a reason not as many people use them. A proper reptile thermostat is pretty pricey IMO, but may very well be worth the cost (I wouldn't know, sadly, haha. I will as soon as I move, though, and get to set up a proper reptile room instead of the "reptiles everywhere" situation my apartment is right now).

Note that in an enclosure like mine, convection is also being used to warm the cool end of the tank since the hot air can't escape through the screen except for at the ventilation areas, so it's really the difference between radiation and conduction that's the issue here.

Sorry for the long ramble there, just trying to be complete in explaining my stance here, since it's a bit different and I might refer back to it if someone else posts about UTHs. It sounds like you have a great setup, other then you should get a thermostat. I'm sure Pancake is very happy and I hope you an your BD both enjoy the fleece!

Best,
-Ellentomologist

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No worries about the ramble lol.

Yes, it is just a "I don't want my scaley baby to get too cold" thing essentially haha. His primary heat source is a 150W basking bulb during the day time of course. The heating pad is only on at night during the months when the air conditioning is on.

The wooden enclosure sound amazing for keeping in heat, Pancake's is glass so I don't have that luxury. My dad was assuming that was the problem with the CHE, the heat would go straight up, even when in a closed dome fixture. But just to clear any other possible miscommunications up, the heat pad is on the bottom of his tank, and his tank does have about a 2" space between it and the table it's placed on so there is air circulating underneath around the UTH. Then there's of course the other side of the glass which his tile is on top of, and then he is on top of the tile. It is only 16W as I mentioned before, and it's warm enough that I can comfortably place the inside of my wrist/forearm against the tile it's beneath. I check it every night, once after its been on for about an hour, and then once before I go to bed. I will definitely invest in a thermostat for it though :) My local reptile store has a bunch of the reptile ones, so I have an idea on the price range. If it's for his safety I don't mind spending the extra cash at all lol.

Thank you, I'm sure he will enjoy burrowing before bedtime :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom