Bearded dragon suddenly not eating, and acting very lethargi

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtaGhoull

Gizmo is 2 years old, I’ve had him since he was a baby, he’s never had any problems until recently. About two 1/2 weeks ago I noticed him getting more lazy, and eating less and less. At first I thought it was because he was in shed, but now that his shed is almost completely done, he is still not being active, or very alert. He only ate a few greens yesterday and full out rejected food today.
He just lays under his long on the hot side, and is in the same spot when I check on him throughout the day and I noticed today he wasn’t very alert either, not even lifting his head much.

I am going to take him to the vet, but the soonest I can take him is Tuesday, I can’t get off work until the 26th, 27th, and 28th. My vet is 1 1/2 away from me and they are closed Sunday and Monday due to Memorial Day. So I’m kinda in a pickle here.

I wanted to know if there was anything I can do to keep him comfortable and safe until then. Anything that I could do to at least get some nutrients into him until Tuesday.

Some info about his tank:

He has a reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb that was just recently changed like a month ago, (I change them every 6 months.)
He has a 150W heat bulb in a deep dome fixture (temps read 100-110)
He’s in a 120 gallon tank.

He gets fed crickets every other day with calcium. And greens everyday. (Mustard, turnip, and collard.)

He gets a bath 2x a week and I also mist him 2-3x a day. (I have been upping it due to him not wanting to eat his food.)
He poops every time he has a bath. I did notice that a couple weeks ago he had a really runny and smelly poo but it got better, now its formed again (for the most part, there was a little bit of watery unformed in it, but definitely a lot better.)

Gizmo has always had a very big appetite and always goes after crickets. So it is concerning that there is now a big turn around. I’m very worried about my little guy, any advice or tips would be wonderful.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like parasites--- I would plan on taking a stool sample w/ you to vet- collect in a paper towel and put it in a ziplock bag- go from there --- make sure you get a print out of your visit so you have it on hand for future reference-- I am just guessing but it sounds like your husbandry is good but to be honest crickets for a staple tend to give parasites ---
Karrie

UtaGhoull

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ipht7btu said:
Sounds like parasites--- I would plan on taking a stool sample w/ you to vet- collect in a paper towel and put it in a ziplock bag- go from there --- make sure you get a print out of your visit so you have it on hand for future reference-- I am just guessing but it sounds like your husbandry is good but to be honest crickets for a staple tend to give parasites ---
Karrie

I have a vet appointment on Tuesday, it’s the soonest I could get him seen.
And for the stool sample, should I try to keep it cold? The vet is an hour 1/2 away..

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd call the vet and ask them how they'd like you to bring in a sample.

Sometimes they just go through moods where they seem tired.

Can you post a picture of your setup so we can see if there is anything that stands out to us?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you collect it the day of appt I would think not-- if it's the day before call your vet and ask them what you should do
Karrie

UtaGhoull

Original Poster
claudiusx":3ccm7lge said:
I'd call the vet and ask them how they'd like you to bring in a sample.

Sometimes they just go through moods where they seem tired.

Can you post a picture of your setup so we can see if there is anything that stands out to us?

-Brandon

I’m not sure how to upload photos on here.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Go to top of this page in banner click on user image uploader download pics click on reply at top of message box click on XIMG-- pics should post
Karrie

UtaGhoull

Original Poster
104465-491171238.jpg

This is his tank at the moment.
I do have more tank ornaments on the way, should be here in a week or so.
Slowly adding on to his home.

His uvb is at the top along the basking side. Can’t really see it in the picture.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How many inches from basking --- T 8's should be around 8-10 inches-- I would get the tank off the floor-- bearded dragons are a social creature and like stimulation -- on the floor kinda eliminates that--
Karrie

UtaGhoull

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ojyiwmh said:
How many inches from basking --- T 8's should be around 8-10 inches-- I would get the tank off the floor-- bearded dragons are a social creature and like stimulation -- on the floor kinda eliminates that--
Karrie

It was about 12 inches away.
I have now moved it to where it is about 9 inches away from the basking area.
And I’ve been looking at stands for his tank.
We got this tank like 3 months ago so, I am still working on getting it completely finished.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok we just thought maybe the UVB might be causing issues-- how old is the bulb--- T8's should be changed out every 6 months
Karrie

UtaGhoull

Original Poster
KarrieRee":dr9gbpot said:
Ok we just thought maybe the UVB might be causing issues-- how old is the bulb--- T8's should be changed out every 6 months
Karrie

I just changed it out like two months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom