Cannabis Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched the forums to see if there was anyone else who's tried it / any information on it and couldn't find anything so my question is does anyone else here grow their own medical cannabis and give the fan leaves they trim to their beardie/ is it safe?

I grow organically so I just water my plants and let them grow, they're in the vegetative stage so there is no resin on the leafs and it's. CBD plant so if there was it's not psychoactive. He ate two that I just clipped and liked them and if it's something I can give to him regularly I could have a good bit saved up from just a couple of my plants durring my leaf strips / killing the males.

Again just to clarify I am not giving my beardie any plant material that has resin on it nor am I using anything synthetic to grow that has potential to harm him.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think using them as food is risky for a dragon (and probably for humans too).

I am very much in the doubters camp regards cannabis leaves as a having any legitimate use.

But sure go ahead and present some actual facts and nutritional information if you can find some from REPUTABLE laboratories ( not the loopy ones pro-legal cannabis ones ).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I tend to agree that I personally wouldn't just because it hasn't been tested yet. I don't know if it's an ok plant or not to eat so my opinion is based off simply not wanting to take the risk.

But since you've already fed a few leaves to your dragon, keep an eye on his behavior and keep us updated on how things go.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Blackenedsabbath":39rnn88e said:
There are websites online which list plants that are considered toxic to beardies. This one (http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/List-of-Plants-That-Can-Be-Toxic-To-Reptiles/) does list cannabis leaves as being dangerous. Overall, if you can't find much information regarding cannabis and bearded dragons I would suggest not feeding it to him as it's better to be safe than sorry.

So there you have it - A VERY BAD IDEA to let the dragon eat any part of the herb / weed (or be exposed to the smoke from someone smoking it).

If you want to use …. fine . Just don't force your dragon to participate .

I STRONGLY suggest having some activated carbon powder on hand , but it's likely too late to be of any benefit by now if your dragon has a toxicity reaction and becomes ill as a result of injesting some of the leaves.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kingofnobbys":3hzei13g said:
Blackenedsabbath":3hzei13g said:
There are websites online which list plants that are considered toxic to beardies. This one (http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/List-of-Plants-That-Can-Be-Toxic-To-Reptiles/) does list cannabis leaves as being dangerous. Overall, if you can't find much information regarding cannabis and bearded dragons I would suggest not feeding it to him as it's better to be safe than sorry.

So there you have it - A VERY BAD IDEA to let the dragon eat any part of the herb / weed (or be exposed to the smoke from someone smoking it).

The title of that article is "a list of plants that CAN be harmful"
And there are no sources cited for the information given. It's no better than you or me saying its toxic. We both dont know because we both haven't studied it.

We do know the smoke is an issue in reptile lungs as theirs are not as developed as mammal lungs, but we dont know for sure if the cannabis leaves are dangerous or not. Unless someone wants to post a source, study, or experience.

Currently the OP has more experience on this subject than all of us.

-Brandon

BipolarGrower013

Original Poster
Busy life so not on here a lot but I am very observant of his behavior and hasn't acted or looked abnormal. Since there isn't a lot of information on it and I care very much about my beardie I won't be feeding him anymore in case it is harmful

BipolarGrower013

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2yq6j0rm said:
Blackenedsabbath":2yq6j0rm said:

I STRONGLY suggest having some activated carbon powder on hand , but it's likely too late to be of any benefit by now if your dragon has a toxicity reaction and becomes ill as a result of injesting some of the leaves.

Id never force an animal to inhale smoke. I would however see if I can put leafs that would end up going in the garbage to use. A lot of people juice and eat their cannabis leafs / feed it to animals but we don't have the same body as a bearded dragon so that's why I came here. Untill I find something saying its good for him and non toxic I won't be giving him anymore

Also it says cannabis sativa not cannabis leafs cannabis sativa is the species not the family. Cannabis sativa is only one type of cannabacea so does that mean cannabis indica or cannabis ruderalis is safe?

While I'm agreeing that we don't know if it's safe and I won't be giving him anymore that list is very flawed and doesn't give enough information.

BipolarGrower013

Original Poster
claudiusx":340vwkay said:
I tend to agree that I personally wouldn't just because it hasn't been tested yet. I don't know if it's an ok plant or not to eat so my opinion is based off simply not wanting to take the risk.

But since you've already fed a few leaves to your dragon, keep an eye on his behavior and keep us updated on how things go.

-Brandon

He's been normal, I'm in view of him 90% of the time I'm home so I'd notice if he was being weird, his poops been fine but I'm not gonna give him anymore untill I know for sure if it's safe

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's what I'd do.

Maybe someone will come by with some more info so we can all learn something.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BipolarGrower013":3h24lnvu said:
kingofnobbys":3h24lnvu said:
Blackenedsabbath":3h24lnvu said:

Id never force an animal to inhale smoke. I would however see if I can put leafs that would end up going in the garbage to use. A lot of people juice and eat their cannabis leafs / feed it to animals but we don't have the same body as a bearded dragon so that's why I came here. Untill I find something saying its good for him and non toxic I won't be giving him anymore
<<<< "a lot of people" …. maybe in your circle of people or just pro pot heresay .

I don't think this is wise , but then I am very much opposed to the use of cannabis unless under strict medical supervision and even then I think the court is still out regards any claimed medical benefits .

Also it says cannabis sativa not cannabis leafs cannabis sativa is the species not the family. Cannabis sativa is only one type of cannabacea so does that mean cannabis indica or cannabis ruderalis is safe?

While I'm agreeing that we don't know if it's safe and I won't be giving him anymore that list is very flawed and doesn't give enough information.

BipolarGrower013

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":17skwwn2 said:
BipolarGrower013":17skwwn2 said:
kingofnobbys":17skwwn2 said:
Blackenedsabbath":17skwwn2 said:

<<<< "a lot of people" …. maybe in your circle of people or just pro pot heresay .

I don't think this is wise , but then I am very much opposed to the use of cannabis unless under strict medical supervision and even than I think there court is still out regards any claimed medical benefits .

You're one of those people I see. I didn't ask for your opinion on my medicine you're not a doctor. Keep spreading that crazy Inappropriate word removed by Moderator notion that cannabis is bad or has no medical value.

I came here asking a genuine question because I care about the health of my beardie and you just saw the word cannabis and decided to judge. You assumed I let my dragon around smoke and even implied I try getting him high all because you saw a word.

If you can contribute to the discussion with information about the topic I asked then continue.

But if you're just here to throw around your opinion on a medicine that saves thousands of lives then **** off

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BipolarGrower013":3cfwi6p7 said:
kingofnobbys":3cfwi6p7 said:
BipolarGrower013":3cfwi6p7 said:
kingofnobbys":3cfwi6p7 said:
Blackenedsabbath":3cfwi6p7 said:

I don't think this is wise , but then I am very much opposed to the use of cannabis unless under strict medical supervision and even than I think there court is still out regards any claimed medical benefits .

You're one of those people I see. I didn't ask for your opinion on my medicine you're not a doctor. Keep spreading that bullshit notion that cannabis is bad or has no medical value.

I came here asking a genuine question because I care about the health of my beardie and you just saw the word cannabis and decided to judge. You assumed I let my dragon around smoke and even implied I try getting him high all because you saw a word.
<<< only takes someone smoking the pot inside the same house to expose the reptile to the secondhand smoke and it's noxious effects , the stuff reeks and is very penetrating .
If you can contribute to the discussion with information about the topic I asked then continue.

But if you're just here to throw around your opinion on a medicine that saves thousands of lives then ***** off

If someone produces some links to peer reviewed INDEPENDENT research by unbiassed researchers who don't have a pro pot agenda that supports any of your claims , then maybe I might cede there might be some legitimate use for pot. But I've seen too many people end up with mental health issues from using the stuff.

Until then , it is in the same basket as tobacco ( I was a kid when tobacco companies were claiming that smoking their product was safe and beneficial to your health too ) and pot is an illicit substance too.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please just ignore him. He always has to have the last word on things and demands everyone accept his viewpoint, while denying everyone else's. Trust me it's not just about pot lol.

We appreciate you coming on here and opening up a discussion.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom