baby beardie showing aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonlem

I have had my juvenile bearded dragon for about 3 weeks or so and he/she was fine up until a couple days ago. About 3 days ago, when I put my hand in the viv to pick him/her up, he/she runs away and yesterday he/she even bit me! I am getting so frustrated because if I can’t pick him/her up and bond with them what’s the point in keeping it?? Every single time I put my hand near him/her, he/she starts hissing at me. he/she is eating well, and pooping fine. could it be time for a shed?? I want to take him/her out to soak but I can’t even get near him/her. HELP.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lets start w / the tank set up lighting basking temps etc.-Please post pics of the tank and lighting - also where did you get your beardie? You said it was a juvenile-- how old? You can post pics by going to the top banner and click on User Image Uploader - down load pics - click on reply and at top of message box click on XIMG- pics should post -
Karrie

allisonlem

Original Poster
104549-3142329259.jpg
KarrieRee":1s8o30wd said:
Lets start w / the tank set up lighting basking temps etc.-Please post pics of the tank and lighting - also where did you get your beardie? You said it was a juvenile-- how old? You can post pics by going to the top banner and click on User Image Uploader - down load pics - click on reply and at top of message box click on XIMG- pics should post -
Karrie
104549-6359196552.jpg

I got him/her from Petsmart (I work there) & it’s a 20 gal tank for now, I know I will need to upgrade but I figured that a 20 gal was fine for a juvenile. If I had to guess the age I would assume about 2 months - 2 1/2 months.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB is it a coil? If it is you need to replace it w/ a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- for your baby to be healthy and grow please do this asap--- lighting in the tank is the crucial element for their health and overall behavior------------
I am so glad we got an employee on here of Petsmart now we can finally educate on good environment/husbandry to some one who can pass it on!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blob5: Yes you will need to upgrade to a bigger tank - like a 75-120 gallon tank w/ doors that open from the front --- just some FYI for you when you start looking - you need to get a Infrared heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes to get accurate basking temps-- my guess he has relocation stress at this time and may quit eating for a time but we will see --- I would switch him over to dubia roaches they are way better for him and dont cause parasites as crickets often do - I know Petsmart doesnt sell dubias or at least where I live but you can get them on line off Amazon and suppliers ship for free-- for substrate I would recommend either a texture non adhesive shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile bought from Home Depot or your local hardware store but I would wait till you have upgraded to your bigger tank --- all this information you can pass on to future bearded dragon buyers in the store --- REMEMBER GOOD HUSBANDRY IS KEY TO A HEALTHY DRAGON--- are you dusting his bugs w/ calcium D3 and vitamins?
Karrie

allisonlem

Original Poster
KarrieRee":15ubrljr said:
Ok so the UVB is it a coil? If it is you need to replace it w/ a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- for your baby to be healthy and grow please do this asap--- lighting in the tank is the crucial element for their health and overall behavior------------
I am so glad we got an employee on here of Petsmart now we can finally educate on good environment/husbandry to some one who can pass it on!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blob5: Yes you will need to upgrade to a bigger tank - like a 75-120 gallon tank w/ doors that open from the front --- just some FYI for you when you start looking - you need to get a Infrared heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes to get accurate basking temps-- my guess he has relocation stress at this time and may quit eating for a time but we will see --- I would switch him over to dubia roaches they are way better for him and dont cause parasites as crickets often do - I know Petsmart doesnt sell dubias or at least where I live but you can get them on line off Amazon and suppliers ship for free-- for substrate I would recommend either a texture non adhesive shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile bought from Home Depot or your local hardware store but I would wait till you have upgraded to your bigger tank --- all this information you can pass on to future bearded dragon buyers in the store --- REMEMBER GOOD HUSBANDRY IS KEY TO A HEALTHY DRAGON--- are you dusting his bugs w/ calcium D3 and vitamins?
Karrie

Yes I am dusting his crickets with calcium powder! Do you think that something as simple as the UVB bulb not being the best could make him/her so aggressive towards me? I can hand feed veggies and even leave a piece in my hand that he/she will eat it off but if I put my hand by him/her, he/she starts hissing and backing away from me. I did notice the other day that he/she started arm waving as well, and he/she sometimes glass surfs but not too often. this is all so odd to me because he/she doesn’t look stressed to me other than this weird behavior that just started after having him/her for 3 weeks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UVB has alot to do w/ behavior but also it probably has alot to do w/ relocation stress-- hiccup did the same behavior when I brought him home- he bit my daughter not hard a couple of times- but the proper lighting down the road is key- just keep putting your hand in tank cleaning etc also approach him from side not above he will see your hand as a predator- birds example- put a soft piece of cloth like fleece or something w/your smell so becomes familiar w/your smell-- but please get your lighting in order for the best health
Karrie

allisonlem

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1qtqqoly said:
UVB has alot to do w/ behavior but also it probably has alot to do w/ relocation stress-- hiccup did the same behavior when I brought him home- he bit my daughter not hard a couple of times- but the proper lighting down the road is key- just keep putting your hand in tank cleaning etc also approach him from side not above he will see your hand as a predator- birds example- put a soft piece of cloth like fleece or something w/your smell so becomes familiar w/your smell-- but please get your lighting in order for the best health
Karrie

I do plan to fix my lighting just trying to also take into account the other things that could be contributing to the behavior. thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom