Beardie came back from the breeder looking like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValyrianBone

I was on vacation and left my 1 year old beardie with a breeder who boards bearded dragons for a fee. I had left him in his care before and that was all good. The breeder would send me occasional pictures of how Mercury is doing when I asked him via text.

This time, no pictures. No reply whatsoever. He wouldn't pick up the phone when I called, either, so I called him with a different number when I wanted to get Mercury back (he picked up right away). When I picked him up, Mercury was puffing up his beard at the breeder when he opened the cage door. He seemed very skittish. I also noticed a white discoloration on his back around his right shoulder. He's a zero morph, though the breeder says he's a witblit. Either way, he is a uniform gray color since birth, but it looked as if a part of his skin was bleached. He has dark spots in his mouth and his left "lip" is swollen with a black discoloration. The breeder says it's tooth decay and otherwise he's fine. I sent the breeder a picture of the skin discoloration on Mercury's back, no response, and he's not picking up the phone, either. I attached a photo below of what his discoloration looks like (if I'm doing this correctly).

I called the vet and got an appointment for next Tuesday. In the meantime, is there anything I can do to help him heal / be more comfortable? Any idea what this might be? I'm using OraZn gel on his mouth against the tooth decay, but since it's spread to his lip, maybe it's mouth rot? (I'll try to get a good photo when his mouth is open.) He seems quite stressed since he's been at the Breeder's.

p2r3sTGQyT5iWvlnfzB7zUbOGiOmF5ZkMGNkUEBDLdFuBYPaPa4b3aM72Yi7Nk6PQDiM9Hu2gngxaakK8mOMYSkdTYrtoh2hb6xfBFEVz1oJetiSTDQi2xDOQFLqz_eP9QFLC81iuG1poIcSbFDTT46Jt7Ay8RhTmXK2DH7vn_UTRcaUrxjim1o02BDETYMKKC_DJ3dQ6qSpu_65b2nS_5gZeSyRcBK5Ccl1UBqAnZWliEu8-HrnYtOhnq17AFRGyBf-pkP5MH4_IcsSHDJ9edVSqnE6gdSugKr_IaA31EHqY8-QF4qWmmBG-IcIIomfahnXMK2Oary8WhqlqXxQcOF3t2TX0hcsvA_onQGuRznD-3uOSzHBpOTc-MVZFZ7DbnxnS6CE8yk42v0jf_dG0Ywx43s9vG40tndCOIt2E3BpwIOwTLbWLje9AM7oQaG5NOOGh8TqM_aOAX0hDHu4T-HfPNDHsN0fwBdNzyJMu7lOiFirkCXbKKlqWy7RwhFYEoTCvEGN4f4L2FwudMJ4jyHZtKHlH-2WPoP3zRO4DZprFywA4vHQVVaWESUjj9q7x6ZFmnsRxstQMWKNxchj2JLIRtu69cGf4FjG94ekhfXolS2bvozvRwkli2cyGyc6PUS6UsG-AEp0EO7p34m4mxMDmYBIu3c9HpNIDHgHUB0vnfYSJ-bBk8loj5KcOkQtZb9XK87Isf190EsW01ZkGRKLIw=w1330-h1772-no

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure what happened there but it sounds like he was traumatized a bit--- I would get him in to the vet unless others on here chime in and give a different response --- if you can get pics of his mouth that would be good --- then others can give you advice on what to do for it
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's too bad to hear this happened. I wouldn't trust that breeder any more unfortunately. The area on the back looks like it could be a patch of shed starting but it's also possibly a burn (it looks more just like a shed patch to me). The wound in the mouth could be from eating something hard and getting cut. Using an oral cleanser like maxiguard gel may be helpful. Were you able to bring him to the vet for a checkup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom