Axel is a FEMALE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axelrose

I made a 4 hour trip to Parrish Creek Veterinary Hospital today. Axel hadn't been eating well and wasn’t HIS normal self. They did a full work up, bloodwork, and x-rays and SHE is healthy and they had no doubt I was doing everything right! Actually a bit on the chubby side!!! The found 2 things: a small inflamed scab on the left leg. (Which is being treated preventatively with antibiotics (injections ?) and the second thing showed on the x-ray is that SHE has a clutch of Infertile eggs!! AHHHH! That is the reason for the lessened eating and sluggishness. I am getting her spayed at the end of the month to avoid this in the future and hopefully she won’t have them before that time. She said they look close to about 2 weeks out. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this surgery and the after part of it. Dealing with sutures for 3 weeks after, and honestly any other advice anyone has for me. Any crazy things to expect or behaviors prior so I know if she’s about to have the eggs. ? thanks everyone! This site has helped me more than I think anything else has! Also while she is healing her back leg, should I remove the tile and put down paper towels?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, if you Google " bearded dragon spaying " you'll see some good write up and even a video from an actual spay. And you will need to take the rough stacked tiles out, just replace them with a rolled up bath towel as a basking platform and use paper towels around the rest of the tank. If her eggs are 2 weeks into development she may lay them within the next 2 weeks. Can you post a few pics of her leg wound ?

Axelrose

Original Poster
AHBD":2jfsbnh9 said:
Hi there, if you Google " bearded dragon spaying " you'll see some good write up and even a video from an actual spay. And you will need to take the rough stacked tiles out, just replace them with a rolled up bath towel as a basking platform and use paper towels around the rest of the tank. If her eggs are 2 weeks into development she may lay them within the next 2 weeks. Can you post a few pics of her leg wound ?

Thank you for your reply AHBD,
I was hoping for someone’s account from their actual experience with the after part of it. I watched the videos and they were pretty helpful however! She told me that there hasn’t been enough research done to know exactly when she would have the eggs based on the x-ray but from the cases she has seen it is possible she would have them before which is unfavorable because she said it is easier to do the spay with the eggs still attached inside her. Just easier to see all of it I guess. She said it is still totally possible to do it after which might end up being the case. She said they were just yolk like at the x-ray but that means she would have them in about 2 weeks maybe sooner maybe later. I’m scheduled at the end of the month because that was the soonest I could afford the surgery coming in at between 840-1350. I only get paid once a month and I would have loved to do it right then but I just got a new car and had a hefty tax bill lined up before I was told about the surgical costs. This last appointment was around 500 so I just don’t have the resources to do it until my payday sadly ?? I want to give her the world but I just can’t do it all at once ya know? She seemed to think that even is she was one of the few who couldn’t pass them on her own my timeframe gave her good chances of being fine still. As far as the leg goes here is what it looks like:
101414-2123410530.jpg
she asked me if there was anywhere she could burn her herself and assured her there wasn’t! She has very few sharp tile edges but she can be a daredevil on her jungle gym log so I don’t know when she did it. It was inflamed on the x-Ray so it is being treated to prevent an infection with Tazicef injections and metacam for the pain.

Axelrose

Original Poster
All of her bloodwork came back completely normal so there isn’t a present infection. It’s a preventative measure she wanted to take.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear that her bloodwork came back normal ! :) The foot doesn't look bad, is she favoring it as if it's bothering her ? I'd try just using raw unpasteurized honey on that spot. My thinking is that too many antibiotics and the Metacam may be detrimental because she's going to be on some more meds. for her spaying.
When you say that she wasn't eating well, how much IS she actually eating ? They do slow down as they approach adulthood and if she has eggs that are closer to being laid than we think it could cause her to lose her appetite.

Axelrose

Original Poster
They thought with the amount of inflammation on the spot that it was a good precaution to take. It’s really difficult for me to do but if she thinks it’s best I’m going to keep doing it. I have a question with the injections though, they told us about how not to hit a vein and such and we didn’t but it still bled a tiny bit when we took the needle out.. that’s normal right? When went between the scales on the opposite arm from the first one but it still scared me. It’s seven total and we’ve done two. She used to eat veggies like a mad lizard and now she won’t touch them and will eat maybe two butterworms at a time sometimes once a day sometimes not for a couple days. (Was on Dubias but completely stopped and wouldn’t eat a single one for months so I’ve been trying worms like supers BSFL and butterworms.) I cant seem to find anywhere to get silkworms which I’ve read are better. I gave her a little veggie burger slurry the other day and she ate some of it but not much. She was eating like 10 nymphs-5 3/4 sized dubias before she quit on me. My vet said she has plenty of good fat reserves still and not to worry she’s just at the age where they slow down. I don’t know I’m just doing my best at this point. The vet wants her to start eating more veg than protein but I don’t know how to get that to happen ?

Axelrose

Original Poster
AHBD":2yntlpoj said:
Good to hear that her bloodwork came back normal ! :) The foot doesn't look bad, is she favoring it as if it's bothering her ? I'd try just using raw unpasteurized honey on that spot. My thinking is that too many antibiotics and the Metacam may be detrimental because she's going to be on some more meds. for her spaying.
When you say that she wasn't eating well, how much IS she actually eating ? They do slow down as they approach adulthood and if she has eggs that are closer to being laid than we think it could cause her to lose her appetite.

Hey ABHD,
I stopped the meds and I’m trying to get the honey but she isn’t pooping and hasn’t for a week now and she’s had plenty of food I’m starting to worry! She’s been off the meds since last Friday. She’s eaten like 12 butterworms and a few collards since she pooped on Sunday. Normally she poops a day or two after eating so I’m worrying but she isn’t moving much anymore and she is basking a lot still but I just want to know that I’m doing the right thing and stopping the meds isn’t what’s making her not active. I have a dog box ready for her should I try using it? It’s 50 lbs of play sand in a large tub. Big enough to dig tunnels and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom