Stunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnhall21

Ive had my beardie for 5 months now, hes grown alot but recently ive seen it slow to a halt at around 13 inches, he has a little bit of tail rot so he wouldve been about 14 inches maybe, hes 250 grams as of now and looks healthy, although he isnt basking as much as he used to, his poop looks fine nothing wrong, his uvb is an arcadia 10%, its the same as before recently replaced hes on mealworms and superworms, and lots of cabbage i feed him a d3 suppliment as well as normal calcium
Any help appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The Arcadia is good bulb but I would increase the percentage to either 12 or 14% --- stronger UVB--- can you take pictures of the tail rot and post please ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His diet isnt superb, which could be the issue.

Cabbage isnt very nutrient dense, and it shouldn't be a staple leaf either. Variety is the key and offering multiple types of salad items will help fill any nutritional voids.

Superworms and mealworms are ok, but again not the best sources for feeder insects. Better choices if they are available to you would be silkworms, butterworms, dubia roaches, BSFL, crickets and hornworms.

Changing his diet might not make him grow quicker or bigger, but it will make him healthier which is the goal :)

-Brandon

Finnhall21

Original Poster
claudiusx":37jbkevf said:
His diet isnt superb, which could be the issue.

Cabbage isnt very nutrient dense, and it shouldn't be a staple leaf either. Variety is the key and offering multiple types of salad items will help fill any nutritional voids.

Superworms and mealworms are ok, but again not the best sources for feeder insects. Better choices if they are available to you would be silkworms, butterworms, dubia roaches, BSFL, crickets and hornworms.

Changing his diet might not make him grow quicker or bigger, but it will make him healthier which is the goal :)

-Brandon

I cant use crickets or dubias (my mum wont let me) which is a good staple, and are there any examples you can thjnk of with the greens?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Then you need to get some blow fly larvae-- he needs a staple protein - google them and I would recommend you order some- dubias are harmless and they do not jump or fly and are quiet - easy to keep in a 10 gallon aquarium --- I am sorry that you mom is against something they need to be healthy
Karrie

Finnhall21

Original Poster
KarrieRee":pa6k2uot said:
Then you need to get some blow fly larvae-- he needs a staple protein - google them and I would recommend you order some- dubias are harmless and they do not jump or fly and are quiet - easy to keep in a 10 gallon aquarium --- I am sorry that you mom is against something they need to be healthy
Karrie
Do superworms not give the protein, and mealworms give other nutrients, i also give him some calci worms like 1 time a month

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Supers and mealworms both have quite a bit of fat content. Nothing wrong with that really but there are other feeder options which are better.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Calci worms are a staple feeder-- he needs those everyday if he's younger than a year - if he's older then 2 times per week-- supers and meal worms should only be given as treat--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom