Moving vivarium during the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

So we ended up biting the bullet and getting this little guy (or girl - but he named him Blue and is calling it a him so we're going with that :)) for our son last night. We have been doing a ton of research on these guys over the last couple weeks but still have a lot of questions - so bare with me please!

My son is desperate to keep him in his room - which is fine with us. But I'm worried about him just up there all by himself during most of the day when I'm moving around downstairs with our other kiddos and dogs. I want to do whatever we can to help this little guy be a happy, friendly part of our family and I'm thinking he'd be better off down with the rest of us during the day. Would it be weird (or stressful to him?) to move him down with everyone during the day and then take his tank back upstairs at night? We don't have much in it right now, a nice big basking rock with a hide underneath it and a big bark-like thing to crawl on and underneath and a fake plant so it wouldn't be hard to move.

But is that weird? Or stressful? I'm sure there will be lots of cringe-worthy questions coming your way from over here the next few days I'm sure! Sorry in advance!

104487-1634589280.jpg

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
How are you going to feel about moving the tank when it's a 40-gallon or larger, with the furnishings and lighting? How's your son going to enjoy the lights (which should be on a timer) coming on in the morning if he's asleep? Just some points to consider. :0)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would probably pick a permanent spot for his main tank and keep it there. The living room is probably best since they generally tend to be curious and like watching the action around them. This can vary between dragons though. That said, you can set up portable basking areas for them outside the tank. If you can dragon proof your sons room (small bits that can be ingested are picked up off the floor, areas that the dragon can hide in and aren't easily accessible to you (small crevices etc) are blocked off etc. then setting up a basking lamp on an adjustable stand in the room will allow time for your dragon to roam around a bit (while supervised). This gets easier as they get older, but the little guys are especially curious so I like to give them time to roam around and explore when I can provide a safe area for them to do so.

Stacymarie

Original Poster
That’s all great info - thank you!! My son wakes up pre 6am every day so I don’t think it would be an issue :).

And I definitely agree that being down where the main action is all day seems like it would be best.

Could he sleep in a smaller tank just for at night? Smaller than the recommended 40 gallon tank? If we had his main big tank on the main floor of the house and then a smaller tank for bedtime in my son’s room? Or is that still a no-no?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could do that but a smaller tank is tougher to keep a heat gradient in. You'd still want lighting on a timer and to provide a space to gradually warm up and wake up. My guys have all been kind of lazy most mornings and slow to wake up and warm up before breakfast. You can move them after they fall asleep easily enough though. They often fall asleep in peoples hands, on their chests, on blankets, etc at night and then can be moved to their tanks overnight well after they've fallen asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom