Come on down to Devlyn Town everyone, let's go!

Welcome to Devlyn Town everyone! We're a welcoming place.

Devlyn joined our household on February 9th, 2019 at 6 months old. I don't know her birthday, and she wouldn't tell me, so my best guess is August 1st, 2018.
103228-4767807354.jpg
Devlyn was bought from a pet shop that went out of business. Came from an unnamed wholesale vender. The original owner did a lot to take care of Devlyn. A baby dragon who had parasites and a respiratory infection from the pet store. There were some hiccups with coil UVB bulbs but that was corrected after a vet visit in October 2018 to UVB fluorescent tubing and proper heat control and a bigger enclosure. The original owner sold Devlyn to me because Devlyn is a very picky eater (aka non-eater)(and as of 2/09/2020 Devlyn still can be a picky eater, she needs a lot of care to eat well) and the lady's life was very busy with other pets, kids, and a failed marriage. Devlyn went from whatever shadey pet place she was born, to a cheap pet store, to a loving first owner who only gave her up so Devlyn could get more attention and care and the cost of her ongoing care. My husband and I have given her a good home now! This is Devlyn town, she is the mayor, we do her bidding.
103228-3580797855.jpg
See pic above for her enclosure she has had since late 2018. About 45" by 17" by 19.2". New bulbs added after the move FYI. Devlyn likes color so I am currently going insane by creating more furniture, buying decorations and making decorative elements for her. Stay tuned for more episodes of Devlyn town!
ENCLOSURE UPDATE 2/09/2020
103228-3978015883.jpg

Update 1/10/2021
Awoken from brumation#2. 119 days.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Devlyn had a nice hang out session with my husband and myself last night. First I was doing some fun arts and craft, she crawled into the little craft bin
103228-5548570007.jpg
Then super action Devlyn jumped! I'm so lucky I had my camera out
103228-2017245335.jpg
Then Devlyn goes crawling around the floor a little bit. She jumped landing on a soft brown blanket, good thing I had that out
103228-4360130639.jpg
This morning Devlyn is dos sexy legging on her basking spot while it warms up. You can clearly see her legs are shedding. 1 leg already gone, 3 more to go
103228-3978556465.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Updated Devlyn's enclosure over the weekend. I made the big change at the end of the day Saturday while she was set up on a pillow looking out the door outside.
103228-6948322560.jpg
The big change I did was switching out her flat basking plateform. I am quite she she didn't like it. She rarely put any part of her body on it, would move away after only a few minutes of basking, and she also pooped on it all the time. Like, this platform sucks so much hooman I poops on it!

Gave her a new log. Halfway through on Sunday she really started using it. Devlyn is proudly part arboreal, she loves climbing. I also put all her other stuff, sans wood platform, back inside. I know that grey rock hide is too small for her, but she will climb it to get onto her hammock.
103228-7087726649.jpg
103228-675648628.jpg
103228-1820971729.jpg

Also wanted to show off Devlyn in the bath. She has shed that has been around almost a week, only one leg cleared up. She got a soak which I hope helps the shed. Her bathtub in a never been used for anything else except dragon paint tray. Plastic liner in the metal tray. Easy for her to hold her head above the water.
103228-8000338236.jpg
103228-4665331384.jpg
After the bath and a quick dry it was straight back to the basking log to warm up and dry completely. This new log perfectly has a 104 to 105°F hot spot under her halogen bulb measured by probe. Generic brand called Enhance vivid natural light, 65W, flood. It took me a couple bulbs to find the one that works for her set up. Temps go from high to low of 90s to 80s then finally 75 on the cool side.

It's so nice to have found the bulb that works best. No dimming required. I have a Herpstat1 for the main bulb but I hate it. It never adjusted the temps fast enough. I really do hate it. I'm going to program a Raspberry Pi to control her enclosure, essentially building a mini PC just to control her environment. I've build PCs before, mini PCs have been the most satisfying to make. It's coding that is outside my skill set. I would rather do coding above my current skill level than purchase another herps control device. They are overly expensive and don't deliver on features. This is what my tax return will be put towards!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Devlyn is sexy leg all the sexy time. Did a minor change up to her basking spot last weekend. Update that it has been working out well. Of course she gets in her full sun spot, but she likes to move back and forth from the area that is the 105° - 110° F zone to the 100° - 95° F range and dangle that sexy leg in the air. She is adorable
103228-8236260703.jpg
103228-4368367675.jpg
103228-9766491283.jpg
103228-4812755613.jpg
SEXY LEGS

She took to the new set up like a champ. I'm proud of her for handling the change

Also going through what seems like the start of a major shedding. All toes and legs are near finished shedding. She is halfway through with her face. Maybe the bod or tail next? Grow big and strong and healthy good girl.

EDIT - In another place someone asked me how and why I had fabric swatches on the ground. It was an ah-ha! moment when I was trying to put paper towels down to catch poop and Devlyn was absolutely disrupting the towels with normal walking. I had fabric swatches. Why not put fabric down? So I did and they work well. Pick up poops, take our cloth to wash. Put back in when dry.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
103228-8329022200.jpg

2 days late for 2 months since I adopted Devlyn! Tried my best to get a good comparison pic. She is filling out more but no big growth. She had finished a big shed just before I got her and she has gained weight but not too much else. She eats so much better now, although she is very picky about her salads

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Oh, Devlyn you kooky dragon. Your poop habits are too funny.

Most dragons DGAF and poop with intent to disrespect their surroundings.

Not you Devlyn, you poop in the daintiest most ladylike fashion that a dragon can possibly poop. Every speck of poop lands precisely where you want it, which is directly under your heat lamp. I see you aim your vent for the hottest spot and that butt wiggle as you hop away from a successful pooping. The strong odor as your poop bakes alerts the hooman to come clean the poop. I will admit, the longer your poop bakes it is easier to pick up with a paper towel. Wash the area and then it dries near instantly.

You never have poop on your body. Absolutely never. That is unthinkable! You are a clean dragon who refuses to poop in a bath, except that one time and you freaked to run away from the dirty poop. I won't even mention the fact that you sun bath on the only spot where you poop after I clean it. You are a clean dragon and would never lay still for several hours a day on the poops zone.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
103228-5118680936.jpg
Devlyn just had a big shed the last few days! In just under 3 days she shed the upper half of her tail, belly, and back. My husband called her back a "skin cloak" lol.

She is getting chonky at 266 grams today! The first month I had her she went from 194 grams to 212 grams or so. I'm so happy this second month she really put on weight. She has a big appetite now :D (but picky for salads)

Today is vet day. Checking her bod and hopefully get a new fecal sample. She pooped yesterday but I was dumb and simply cleaned it up. Maybe she will poop in a bath with the vet.
103228-1889308235.jpg
Devlyn also really wants the real sun outside. I'm sorry and I feel bad it's not quite warm enough! Please be patient Devlyn!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Finally saw Devlyn use her water dish for the first time. I feel such validation adding fresh water every day ... :roll:

103228-6713653267.jpg

For everyone dying to know, did she poop? Nope. Like I said in earlier posts she only poops on her basking spot. Maybe she wanted a bath? I wonder if I got her a bigger corner dish if she would take more of a bath. Maybe...

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Yesterday was a hell of a day for Devlyn. Not many pics, I was too busy helping her to stop for more pics.

Her head had been ready to shed for about 2 weeks. I was starting to get worried and was going to post in the health forum but Devlyn had enough. I gave her a bath, gently scrubbing her head with a toothbrush which she cooperates very well with. After the bath I set her in her basking spot, 105 degrees F, so that she dried quickly. Devlyn started stretching her beard and looked like she was roaring. Finally, she cracked the skin under her beard so her head could start being free.
103228-9179303022.jpg
Once the skin started coming off she would not settle. She kicked her head with her back feet. She was scrapping her head on her log. I gave her a bath again and she began dunking her head underwater! I stopped her from dunking her head, that freaked me out. She got a full blackbeard but was still cooperative when I brushed her head all over with a wet kid toothbrush. I didn't want her to hurt herself with the kicking and head scaping the log. So I helped her clear all the skin from her head. For the rest of her body a bath, gentle brushing, then basking was all she needed to get the skin off quickly. I did pick and pull at this shed skin, I had a bearded dragon growing up and several anoles. This is my first herp where I have ever pulled on shedding skin, but she seemed to need the help really bad. She was most settled when I helped her. I used a moistened cotton swab over her eyes to shed skin, she politely sat still and closed her eyes allowing me to gently get old skin off.

Devlyn really is such a sweetheart. Even all mad and upset at her shed skin she let me help her. Then she ate salad (just the mint leaves because she is so picky, but she had a lot of them!). She got dusted dubia roaches and one superworm. Then she practically napped while basking the remaining hours of the day. She is also beefing up at 288 grams weight after that meal. She is also 9 months old now.

She was also cleared by the vet of any parasites from recent poo sample! Yay Devlyn!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Wow Devlyn. About 9 months old, 290 grams (edit to correct from 190 to 290), and 14.5 inches long! When did you get so long!? She has been growing a lot this past month. Everything shedding a few times.
103228-3832383212.jpg
Figuring out how to encourage more eating of salad. She likes colors and flowers. I can leave some dandelion flowers, Johnny jump ups, or violets (all I have right now) and she looks to be eating more salad. I've also started to leave the random horn worm or butterworm in the salad. Worm stays in place and she has to check out her salad in case there is a treat inside
103228-6211310811.jpg
She still has normal will eat bell peppers and collards one day then won't for a few weeks. Right now she likes mint and flowers. She even ate some chives!
103228-3469017134.jpg
She is such a cutey and a good dragon. My sweet little buddy who will watch TV with me, always goes to bed 20 minutes before lights out, cuddle bug.

I wasn't home to see this, but she got mad, black bearding mad. My husband on a very rare occasion had a friend over. Friend asked if he could see our dragon. Now I have taken her out to show her to people only twice before, and I held her. After seeing her Friend asked to hold her. My husband handed Devlyn over and said she had the darkest black beard he had ever seen for her! I've seen her get some black beard on a car ride to the vet, but not what my husband described. Still, she didn't act out because she is still a fairly chill girl. I feel bad she had to get mad. Some other dirty humoon touching her. She did not black beard at all when I first meet her. Makes me feel better to not have been rejected like Friend was. I don't mind other people seeing her, but she makes it pretty clear she doesn't want to be social with strangers.

My husband and have people over maybe two or three times a year? Not much. She shouldn't have to worry about other humoons much at all. Devlyn has 2 roommates of Greysie the herp tolerant cat. Killer of things with fur and feathers, but she leaves toads, frogs, and lizards alone. Also Charlie the grey tree frog. He sings most nights. Dragon goes to sleep and then frog wakes up! Devlyn is nice sharing her bugs with Charlie

Bonus froggo
103228-2237351667.jpg

Cor

DorgEndo":20h0f9x2 said:
Wow Devlyn. About 9 months old, 190 grams, and 14.5 inches long! When did you get so long!? She has been growing a lot this past month. Everything shedding a few times.
103228-3832383212.jpg
Figuring out how to encourage more eating of salad. She likes colors and flowers. I can leave some dandelion flowers, Johnny jump ups, or violets (all I have right now) and she looks to be eating more salad. I've also started to leave the random horn worm or butterworm in the salad. Worm stays in place and she has to check out her salad in case there is a treat inside
103228-6211310811.jpg
She still has normal will eat bell peppers and collards one day then won't for a few weeks. Right now she likes mint and flowers. She even ate some chives!
103228-3469017134.jpg
She is such a cutey and a good dragon. My sweet little buddy who will watch TV with me, always goes to bed 20 minutes before lights out, cuddle bug.

I wasn't home to see this, but she got mad, black bearding mad. My husband on a very rare occasion had a friend over. Friend asked if he could see our dragon. Now I have taken her out to show her to people only twice before, and I held her. After seeing her Friend asked to hold her. My husband handed Devlyn over and said she had the darkest black beard he had ever seen for her! I've seen her get some black beard on a car ride to the vet, but not what my husband described. Still, she didn't act out because she is still a fairly chill girl. I feel bad she had to get mad. Some other dirty humoon touching her. She did not black beard at all when I first meet her. Makes me feel better to not have been rejected like Friend was. I don't mind other people seeing her, but she makes it pretty clear she doesn't want to be social with strangers.

My husband and have people over maybe two or three times a year? Not much. She shouldn't have to worry about other humoons much at all. Devlyn has 2 roommates of Greysie the herp tolerant cat. Killer of things with fur and feathers, but she leaves toads, frogs, and lizards alone. Also Charlie the grey tree frog. He sings most nights. Dragon goes to sleep and then frog wakes up! Devlyn is nice sharing her bugs with Charlie

Bonus froggo
103228-2237351667.jpg

What a gorgeous beardie and habitat! Looks very spoiled I'm so glad you could take care of her! I have a question what did u make those walls of? I need walls for my enclosure and can't find anything good!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Schrodinger's Basket

103228-1770678982.jpg
Devlyn: Basket!? I will get inside! Let me inside! I WANT BASKET!

103228-5666365921.jpg
Also Devlyn: I'm in the basket...I'm not so sure how I feel about this!

103228-7954981499.jpg
Devlyn: LET ME OUT OF BASKET NOW!!!

103228-37526731.jpg
Devlyn: I'M MAD! I want to be in basket and not in the basket and YOU WON'T LET ME DO BOTH AT ONCE! I'm gonna hide in the curtain and never come out! HMPH!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn

Cor

Ahh ok pre made. Very gorgeous. I made my own though and just need some kind of walls. I'm starting to settle on cork bark panels expensive though

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I just had the most awful time :cry:

Haven't felt well or slept well in over a week, not a big deal. I called in sick to work today hoping some extra time at home would help.

Well, I had Devlyn out of her enclosure on the windowsill and I thought I would just walk outside quick to get the mail. ***** me is still not used to me new house. How the handles will let you outside but lock automatically and then you can't get inside without the key. My husband is at work and no one else has a spare key yet!

So I'm locked outside, at least my kitty Greysie is with me so I'm not all alone. My husband was able to save me after an hour. I feel so stupid. Devlyn bravely did her best potato impression and stayed on the windowsill the whole time so I could see she was safe. So much for a relaxing day off. Can't sleep.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom