First Time Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone! I have a few questions. I'm planning on getting a bearded dragon within the next year, but I wanted to do research first.
1. I am planning on building a 4ft x 2ft glass tank with a mesh top (for lighting/heat). Is this big enough for a bearded dragon? Also, would a glass tank or a melamine/wooden enclosure be better? I've heard that glass doesn't retain heat as well as wood.
2. I am trying to figure out if I should purchase an adult or a baby. I would very much like to rescue an adult, because I have heard that they are cheaper to maintain (feeding, etc.). However, I do worry about an adult becoming tame and missing his/her previous owner. Should I be too concerned with this?
Any replies would be helpful!

Hi there! I'm replying to the second part of your message. I've never raised baby dragons but I have rescued 2 adult dragons from Craigslist from different situations. One was left alone in a closet with improper lighting and the other I just adopted today and is suffering from MBD from neglect. I believe if you have the knowledge to care for and the love to give to a rescue, it is a good option. I look at it as though they are getting a second chance. They may miss the previous owner, but if that owner never gave them attention or proper care they will be thankful that you came along. I think it's great you found this site, it is a treasure for information and the members are all supportive.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
emilyruth254":2m7jc087 said:
Hi, everyone! I have a few questions. I'm planning on getting a bearded dragon within the next year, but I wanted to do research first.
1. I am planning on building a 4ft x 2ft glass tank with a mesh top (for lighting/heat). Is this big enough for a bearded dragon? Also, would a glass tank or a melamine/wooden enclosure be better? I've heard that glass doesn't retain heat as well as wood.

<<<< don't have a mesh lid ( go for a solid timber lid , and ventilation in tank ends (high at the warm end , low at the cool end) and sliding glass front door.
advantages :
very good thermal efficiency (will be able to get away with lower wattage basking globe and lower wattage ceramic heat emitter (if you are in a cold climate and it gets chilly at night)
very easy to attach ceramic (high temperature) light fittings under the lid
very easy to attach linear T8 or T5ho reflector hood under the lid
secure from other animals
less likely to stress the dragon by having to pick it up from above - this will freak out a new less than tame dragon ---> you will look like a predator
stackable (can place other vivs ontop if need arises)

cons :
expensive to buy ready made if made from solid timber , BUT they are available as flatpack self assembly kits , and if made from cheaper timber by the vendor can be quite cost effective

2. I am trying to figure out if I should purchase an adult or a baby. I would very much like to rescue an adult, because I have heard that they are cheaper to maintain (feeding, etc.). However, I do worry about an adult becoming tame and missing his/her previous owner. Should I be too concerned with this?
Any replies would be helpful!

Depends on how prepared you are to put the time into rearing a hatchling or smaller juvenile ie
<< more than one feed of live insects per day
<< more frequent pooing (younger dragon's have a much higher metabolic rate than an adult will have.

They do bond very strongly to their keepers and people they have daily contact with , so an adult will likely take a while to come around.
A rescue will likely come with health issues that will increase costs due to neglect and even mistreatment , illnesses, MBD, malnutrition, dehydration, kidney and liver issues, festering sores and injuries have been seen here with rescues.
If you are lucky you'll find a dragon who has been loved and well cared for just needs to be rehomed because of change on the owners' circumstances. This is not aways the case unfortunately.

I've rescued and rehabilitated several lizards, they've have all become FABULOUS pets who were mega tame and extremely smoogy - I believe a lizard knows when you are trying to help it and they soon learn how to show their appreciation.

SpoiledBeardie

Healthy dragons require more than good lighting, proper diet and warmth and this may be something you are not prepared for. Beardies are active, intelligent and sensitive creatures. The more you interact with them, the happier the both of you will be. They like to run around, they like to explore and they can learn.

If you're expecting a docile, quiet creature that sits on a log all day, buy a turtle.

They're tough but a human can easily hurt them. So be careful when handling them. Especially don't grab at them from above. They have a third eye on top of their heads that alerts them to sudden light changes. Grabbing from above triggers a fear response. They can bite.

Having a beardie is more like having a dog or cat. You can train them to do some complex behavior. Mine climbs back into her viv on her own when she's cold or tired. They can be picky when it comes to food and are pretty clear about letting you know if they're hungry or want to poop. And finally, they're a lot smarter than you probably think they are.

Enjoy your new friend.

emilyruth254

Original Poster
Thank you all for the responses! I know they do require a lot of attention and love, and I can’t wait to give that to my future bearded dragon. I’ve been doing a lot of research, and I think that getting one will be a perfect addition to my family. Can’t wait to spend time with a new friend!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
emilyruth254":3guka1mo said:
Thank you all for the responses! I know they do require a lot of attention and love, and I can’t wait to give that to my future bearded dragon. I’ve been doing a lot of research, and I think that getting one will be a perfect addition to my family. Can’t wait to spend time with a new friend!

If you are student , think about this preparation like doing the reading and researching for a very big assignment and report.

You can do your future spikey 4 legged child a very good service if you buy some very good books on keeping and caring for bearded dragons.
If you like I can supply you with a list of the best books about bearded dragon care and keeping and health that I know off. You might be looking at spending $100 or more on the books.

I suggest setting up the rearing tank / tub before you bring home a hatchling or small juvenile , or a good sized forever home before you bring home a large juvenile , or a subadult or an adult (or a rescue).
So investing in good thermometers, a good sized hide (to suit the dragon), a food dish, a water dish, a t5ho 12%UVB tube and reflector hood , a good basking globe and ceramic heat emitter (if your climate warrants it) , some viv furniture. Insect keeping paraphenalia . a 200ml bottle of F10sc and a 1L spray bottle, etc so these are on hand and ready to go (and temperature gradient established BEFORE the dragon arrives.

emilyruth254

Original Poster
Please do provide the titles of the best of books! Also, I know you guys know a lot about purchasing enclosures, too. Feel free to share where you can purchase enclosures from. I've read that 4X2 ft enclosures are adequate, but the bigger the better for adults. Thank you in advance!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
emilyruth254":24bxzbmp said:
Please do provide the titles of the best of books! Also, I know you guys know a lot about purchasing enclosures, too. Feel free to share where you can purchase enclosures from. I've read that 4X2 ft enclosures are adequate, but the bigger the better for adults. Thank you in advance!
https://www.bookdepository.com/Australian-Dragons-Captivity-Danny-Brown/9780987244727
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/guide-to-australian-lizards-danny-brown-book.html
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/keeping-breeding-australian-lizards-book.html

These are good too :
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/bearded-dragon-book-care.html
https://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Bearded-Dragon-Steve-Grenard/9781630260231?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=AU&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIppyBlZys4gIVBI-PCh2sZwbWEAYYBSABEgLXj_D_BwE

Be aware a full grown adult bearded dragon can be 800g and 25 inches long. (My Peppa was this size and not fat , just very good genetics ).

I've never bought a viv from a pet shop. I've always built my own (using timber) and used converted totes for rearing tubs.
Your best bet is a flatpack self assembled timber viv , some use melamine and laminated MDF ((careful of dampness) , there are some who make to spec (try a cabinet maker , some people convert old tv cabinets and walldroves and even big coffee tables to vivs) , and there is the option to use a steel frame ( Connectit nylon fittings ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom