Bearded Dragon Prolapse !!! Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon was laying eggs today and I noticed this huge red thing coming out of her end. I researched it and I’m pretty sure it’s a prolapse. However, there is a white substance attached to it and I’m not sure if it’s part of an egg. All my local vets are closed and my parents are at work saying they can’t come home. I don’t know what to do, the vet doesn’t open until Monday. Here is a picture:
full

Please help. I’ve put her in a sugar bath for an hour now and I don’t know what to do next

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl! You did the right thing by giving her a sugar water bath to try and reduce inflammation. Generally this is an issue that a vet needs to look at quickly but since that's not an option at the moment I'll try to help given my limited knowledge.
Do you have any betadine or plain saline solution on hand? If you do, then you can try to gently clean the area off. Keep everything as wet as possible. If the swelling has gone down you can try to gently get the tissue back in. Don't be forceful with it. A vaseline coated qtip may be helpful. Make sure to keep everything as clean as you can. Think of it like a rolled up sock that's inside out. If it doesn't go back easily then continue the sugar baths to try and reduce swelling further.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To me that looks like a urate at the end of the prolapse.

Coopers advice is on the money.

-Brandon

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2d0sxvwq said:
Poor girl! You did the right thing by giving her a sugar water bath to try and reduce inflammation. Generally this is an issue that a vet needs to look at quickly but since that's not an option at the moment I'll try to help given my limited knowledge.
Do you have any betadine or plain saline solution on hand? If you do, then you can try to gently clean the area off. Keep everything as wet as possible. If the swelling has gone down you can try to gently get the tissue back in. Don't be forceful with it. A vaseline coated qtip may be helpful. Make sure to keep everything as clean as you can. Think of it like a rolled up sock that's inside out. If it doesn't go back easily then continue the sugar baths to try and reduce swelling further.

Thank you for the reply. I don’t have any of those solutions. Would mixing table salt with water help? It is not shrinking at all and I’m really scared to push it back in as I’ve read that it could make even more damage and my bearded dragons’ one is really big. Would she be able to last for 2 days?

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
claudiusx":itk24u5a said:
To me that looks like a urate at the end of the prolapse.

Coopers advice is on the money.

-Brandon

I’m pretty sure it’s not a urate because I can’t get it off, it seems stuck , I tried to use a little bit of pressure to try and get it off but the prolapse seemed to be coming out even more so I immediately stopped. I can’t seem to send another photo but it looks like an informed egg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl. How is she doing, any changes?
Table salt or sea salt mixed with distilled water would be fine for cleaning the area or a diluted
betadine solution.
You can do another sugar bath too, if you think it may help. You are thinking it is an egg that is
attached to her insides or skin that wont come loose?
Try to get another picture if you can. Is her beard black or not?

Tracie

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
Drache613":ly46ibsi said:
Hello,

Poor girl. How is she doing, any changes?
Table salt or sea salt mixed with distilled water would be fine for cleaning the area or a diluted
betadine solution.
You can do another sugar bath too, if you think it may help. You are thinking it is an egg that is
attached to her insides or skin that wont come loose?
Try to get another picture if you can. Is her beard black or not?

Tracie

Hi, no it’s stayed the same, looks bigger if I’m being honest. Right now she is basking which is at least some type of normal behaviour. Her beard is not black. I will try and send you a photo in private because I’ve already uploaded one photo and when I try to send another one it comes up with the same photo and I don’t know how to upload another one.

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
Hi guys sorry for so many posts at one but I am panicking. So the good news is, I think I will be able to call the emergency vets tomorrow and get them to check my beardie out. However, I’m worried that overnight it will dry up and god, I don’t want to wake up to any horrific sights. Please what should I do for the night to keep the prolapse from drying up.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl [ and poor you ] mix some raw honey and vaseline to slather it with. Avoid salt it can burn the tissue. Raw honey is an antimicrobial + anti-inflammatory so it does double duty. Keep her on a towel in her tank and take the cage decor out for now. Best wishes, a reptile vet should be able to put it back in . Ask if they will put a suture at each end of her vent to help keep it in.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BonnieandClyde123":1tvdpwck said:
Thanks for the advice. All my local vets are not speacialsised in reptiles, do you think they will still be able to help ?

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and get her to a vet hospital as a matter of urgency because this needs to be handled by a vet surgeon else there is a very strong risk the organ that's prolapsed will become infected and necrotic ==> and will result in a slow agonizing death for the dragon from gangrene and blood poisoning.
At this point it a matter of any vet (even a general practice vet) is better than trying home remedies and home treatment and hoping for the best. Is very likely the gp vet will contact a colleague in another practice who is more experienced in reptile health and reptile surgery and will be told what to do (perhaps even supervised via Skype or video conferencing).

It's likely the vet will need to put a couple of stitches in to hold the organ in place internally while the tissues mend and heal and she'll need to be on special liquid diet for a while so she wont have to pass much solid waste or strain.
She will be prone to prolapses in the future so I'd refrain from allowing her to breed from now on.

BonnieandClyde123

Original Poster
UPDATE: the vet said that she had to get surgery and that it’s much more serious than he thought. He said there’s a 50/50 chance that she will live and I am in tears. I pray for her to live but knowing my luck she’ll probably pass away

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that you are having her seen very quickly ! The " home remedies " of vaseline + honey is just to keep the tissue moist so it doesn't begin to become necrotic. KY jelly can be used as well. Here is an article in Reptiles magazine about prolapse so you can understand it better. Best wishes, beardies do come through these surgeries all the time but yes there is definitely a chance of this being fatal. Hoing for the best !!

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Ask-A-Vet/Reptile-Cloacal-Prolapse/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom