Struggling with temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi iv been struggling with temps for the past week, basking was away at 130 managed to get it down to 120 with change of bulb, and the cool side is still to hot, its away up at 90, today my dimming thermostat arrived, can someone give me some tips on how to best get this right,another note is my rooms always warm too

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
First question would be what are you using to measure temps. If you're not using a suitable tool, you will never get your temps dialed in.

Depending on what you have, then we can help guide you through it.

A picture of your setup would help too so we can see the lights, distance, and basking surface along with the rest of the tank.

-Brandon

Jordybhoyy88

Original Poster
104484-8024581978.jpg
Im using a digital temp gun, dimmer im using is Habistat Dimming Thermostat, the viv is 4x2x2 and for the substrate im using ceramic tiles, excuse the finger prints on the glass.
104484-5775033780.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum-- what is the watt of the basking bulb? Your tank looks so dark and well-- bland--- I would look at getting some things for him to be able to climb on and a hide ---- petsmart has some really nice things on line - you might want to start there unless you have a store you can go into and look -- what is the UVB your using? You can add another day bulb like a regular house hold bulb 60 watt to light up then other end of the cool side of the tank -- you can go to the DIY board and look for ideas on how to add more things for your tank -- did you get the thermostat figured out?
Karrie

Jordybhoyy88

Original Poster
its kinda dark right now as the basking bulbs being dimmed down, not really wanting to add another bulb to the cool side until i can actually get it cooled down, i know iv still to buy some more stuff for the lil guy.

UVB im using : Arcadia Euro Range Desert 10% Lamp

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The problem with dimmers in general, is it makes people think they can get any bulb they want and just dim it until it's the temperature they need. This is not ok.

Your basking bulb provides a couple important benefits to your dragon.

Heat - thats obvious
Something thats not so obvious is a tool to help your dragons eyes dilate so they re protected from the uvb rays.

So you need your basking bulb to be putting out a good amount of lumens too. And if you dim it too much, you lose out on this important aspect.

You have a couple options based on your setup:
You can try a lower wattage bulb. Custom built tanks hold heat much better. I use a 50w in mine.

Or, you can change your bulb fixture. Your fixture right now is forcing the bulb to be really close to your basking surface. If you switched out that fixture for something like this:
leviton-lamp-accessories-9874-64_1000.jpg

your bulb could be further away. You could even make a taller basking surface if you wanted.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am trying to figure out why the cool side is so hot -- you definitely want to get that down- he probably isnt sleeping very well as they need it to be around 65-70 at nite and 80's during the day- I guess I would go w/ a lower wattage bulb unless you want to change out the fixture for the bulb - you have a good UVB bulb but the next time you change it out I would go w/ either a 12 or 14 % bulb--- higher UVB out put--
Karrie

Jordybhoyy88

Original Poster
yea the night temps are fine, lil guy sleeps well at night, its the day temps im having trouble with iv managed to get the basking temp down to 100-105 from 120-130 with the dimmer, cool side is still sitting around mid 80s, really appreciate the help and tip guys.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jordybhoyy88":1yamnj0l said:
its kinda dark right now as the basking bulbs being dimmed down, not really wanting to add another bulb to the cool side until i can actually get it cooled down, i know iv still to buy some more stuff for the lil guy.

UVB im using : Arcadia Euro Range Desert 10% Lamp

I think Arcadia Euro Range Desert 10% Lamps are a T8 tube . so even with a reflector hood or slip on reflector , your dragon will need to be able to bask about 6 inches from the tube to get sufficient UVB and UVA .
I don't seen any evidence the UVB tube has a reflector attached or is in a reflector hood ==> your dragon WILL NOT be getting enough UVA and UVB unless it can get within 3" of the naked T8 tube.

I very strongly recommend returning the T8 fitting and T8 tube and exchanging for a T5ho 12%UVB tube tube and reflector hood , I suggest between 24" to 36" long.

I'd invest in a handful of these : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Set-Digital-Thermometer-Hygrometer-with-LCD-Display-for-Fridge-Freezer-Fish/173875710774?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D1dc22abbecfb4acca72c9adb765fff97%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D252505608929%26itm%3D173875710774&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Af573c1be-7a2a-11e9-8f37-74dbd1804572%7Cparentrq%3Acfe503e916a0ad782c181885ffec0d7e%7Ciid%3A1 so you can monitor the air and surface temperatures at a few different (strategic places in the tank) and throw the dial style thermometer in the trashbin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom