PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Tayraye » Wed May 15, 2019 4:35 pm

I am a very worried owner of a two years old beardie dragon that's been having a lot of episodes that look like seizures, or choking...he'll gape his mouth wide open, with his tongue sticking out and his belly sucked in fully as he either runs in tight circles, or will start flipping onto his back. Once the episode is over he'll start breathing heavily and eventually will calm down...episodes seem to last up to a full minute.

It seems to happen out of nowhere. One moment he's in good spirits (alert, good energy levels, not appearing lethargic in general) and the next he's having one of his episodes...

Basking side is 95-100F and cool side is 83F. He has a brand new, 24" reptisun T5 light installed this month in the inside of his terranium. I dust his salad and crickets with calcium, but he's very picky and doesn't eat very much...

Here's a video of one of his episodes on Sunday... https://youtu.be/tsBq1F97gZk
Last edited by Tayraye on Wed May 15, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tayraye
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby KarrieRee » Wed May 15, 2019 4:41 pm

You can upload a video on you tube or go to the banner at the top of this page and click on user image uploader - down load pics - click on reply and at the top of message box click on XIMG- post pics - the video should have a link on youtube and you can post the link in the message box
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4410
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby claudiusx » Wed May 15, 2019 5:16 pm

What uvb bulb did he have before the reptisun?
What live feeders do you offer?

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16513
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Tayraye » Wed May 15, 2019 5:39 pm

claudiusx wrote:What uvb bulb did he have before the reptisun?
What live feeders do you offer?

-Brandon


I've always used reptisun bulbs. And I feed him live crickets, and sometimes superworms from the pet store.
Tayraye
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Tayraye » Wed May 15, 2019 6:18 pm

KarrieRee wrote:You can upload a video on you tube or go to the banner at the top of this page and click on user image uploader - down load pics - click on reply and at the top of message box click on XIMG- post pics - the video should have a link on youtube and you can post the link in the message box
Karrie


Thank you!
Tayraye
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Poxinabox » Wed May 15, 2019 8:33 pm

OMG my heart hurts so much for this beardie watching this... I hope someone can help you fast!
Poxinabox
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Tayraye » Wed May 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Poxinabox wrote:OMG my heart hurts so much for this beardie watching this... I hope someone can help you fast!


I know, It's so scary...thank you very much, I'm hoping to find my way to a reptile vet soon.
Tayraye
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Drache613 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:18 pm

Hello,

The video is heart breaking. I am so sorry for him & for you.
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb you are using, is it the long tube bulb or the small compact/coil
bulb? Do you have a plastic cover on it & how far away is it from him?
How long has he been acting this way?
Those types of seizures are very serious & cause a lot of pain for him.
Are you giving calcium supplementation? I highly recommend getting him to a qualified
reptile vet in the very least or trying to get him started on a liquid calcium supplement as
soon as possible.
Can you post some pictures of the tank setup for us too?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38957
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Tayraye » Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

The video is heart breaking. I am so sorry for him & for you.
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb you are using, is it the long tube bulb or the small compact/coil
bulb? Do you have a plastic cover on it & how far away is it from him?
How long has he been acting this way?
Those types of seizures are very serious & cause a lot of pain for him.
Are you giving calcium supplementation? I highly recommend getting him to a qualified
reptile vet in the very least or trying to get him started on a liquid calcium supplement as
soon as possible.
Can you post some pictures of the tank setup for us too?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie


The reptisun uvb is a long tube one, with no plastic cover. I'm not sure how many inches...I do not have a way of measuring.

His seizures have occured around the begining of this month...and they seem to be happening more (the one in the video was his worst one). He even had two smaller ones in one day...

Yes, I dust his salad and crickets with Exo Terra Calcium, however he only eats so little...I been sticking food into his mouth just so can get the calcium into his body, and even mixing it into his water. If you have any liquid calcium recommendations please let me know.

Here's a photo of his set up https://m.imgur.com/gallery/8YxWpkH

Thank you, I really appreciate the help...I'm trying to find a way to get him to a vet.
Tayraye
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Aebrius » Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 am

Tayraye wrote:
Drache613 wrote:Hello,

The video is heart breaking. I am so sorry for him & for you.
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb you are using, is it the long tube bulb or the small compact/coil
bulb? Do you have a plastic cover on it & how far away is it from him?
How long has he been acting this way?
Those types of seizures are very serious & cause a lot of pain for him.
Are you giving calcium supplementation? I highly recommend getting him to a qualified
reptile vet in the very least or trying to get him started on a liquid calcium supplement as
soon as possible.
Can you post some pictures of the tank setup for us too?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie


The reptisun uvb is a long tube one, with no plastic cover. I'm not sure how many inches...I do not have a way of measuring.

His seizures have occured around the begining of this month...and they seem to be happening more (the one in the video was his worst one). He even had two smaller ones in one day...


Here's a photo of his set up https://m.imgur.com/gallery/8YxWpkH

Thank you, I really appreciate the help...I'm trying to find a way to get him to a vet.


Your link there seems to be broken, just a heads up!
Aebrius
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Drache613 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Hello,

Can you get another link up with your setup, that link seems to be broken.
How is he doing today? Has he ever had seizures before this month? I had noticed he had
part of his tail missing, when did that happen?
Lighting placement can make a tremendous difference in the UVB exposure for them. If he
isn't eating much of the greens with calcium or any dusted bugs then he definitely isn't getting
much if any calcium intake.
I will PM you a link for some liquid calcium, if you want to try that out.

Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38957
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Tayraye » Thu May 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

Can you get another link up with your setup, that link seems to be broken.
How is he doing today? Has he ever had seizures before this month? I had noticed he had
part of his tail missing, when did that happen?
Lighting placement can make a tremendous difference in the UVB exposure for them. If he
isn't eating much of the greens with calcium or any dusted bugs then he definitely isn't getting
much if any calcium intake.
I will PM you a link for some liquid calcium, if you want to try that out.

Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie


http://imgur.com/gallery/L1pUxjn Here you go! This should work

He seems well, alert and is moving around, although when I offered him crickets, and salad he didn't care to eat any...I had to go to work, so I hope he didn't have any while I was gone...

Before I picked him up from a breeder (at 6 months) his sibilings bit it off, so unfortuately he is missing a good chunk of his tail :( I bought him specifcally as I was worried no one else would want him.

I would love that! Thank you.
Tayraye
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby vrenee1018 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:59 am

Hello there. How's your little guy doing today? I saw the video of the seizures and it just breaks my heart. Hope he's feeling a bit better!
Image Ohhh myyy little Taaam-piiico <3
User avatar
vrenee1018
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:20 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Drache613 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Hello Taylor,

I hope your calcium gets to you quickly, it was sent out today!
How is he doing today?
At least he is alert which is a good sign. Has he eaten anything for you today?
I hope he is having a better day & let us know how things are going.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38957
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Postby Tayraye » Fri May 17, 2019 7:41 pm

vrenee1018 wrote:Hello there. How's your little guy doing today? I saw the video of the seizures and it just breaks my heart. Hope he's feeling a bit better!


Thanks! No seizures so far. He seems to be doing well! Sleepy and he only ate a few bites of his salad, but so far so good!
Tayraye
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users