PLEASE HELP (Bearded Dragon Seizures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tayraye

I am a very worried owner of a two years old beardie dragon that's been having a lot of episodes that look like seizures, or choking...he'll gape his mouth wide open, with his tongue sticking out and his belly sucked in fully as he either runs in tight circles, or will start flipping onto his back. Once the episode is over he'll start breathing heavily and eventually will calm down...episodes seem to last up to a full minute.

It seems to happen out of nowhere. One moment he's in good spirits (alert, good energy levels, not appearing lethargic in general) and the next he's having one of his episodes...

Basking side is 95-100F and cool side is 83F. He has a brand new, 24" reptisun T5 light installed this month in the inside of his terranium. I dust his salad and crickets with calcium, but he's very picky and doesn't eat very much...

Here's a video of one of his episodes on Sunday... https://youtu.be/tsBq1F97gZk

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can upload a video on you tube or go to the banner at the top of this page and click on user image uploader - down load pics - click on reply and at the top of message box click on XIMG- post pics - the video should have a link on youtube and you can post the link in the message box
Karrie

Tayraye

Original Poster
claudiusx":kr5snt7s said:
What uvb bulb did he have before the reptisun?
What live feeders do you offer?

-Brandon

I've always used reptisun bulbs. And I feed him live crickets, and sometimes superworms from the pet store.

Tayraye

Original Poster
KarrieRee":4w878fbf said:
You can upload a video on you tube or go to the banner at the top of this page and click on user image uploader - down load pics - click on reply and at the top of message box click on XIMG- post pics - the video should have a link on youtube and you can post the link in the message box
Karrie

Thank you!

Tayraye

Original Poster
Poxinabox":ruenwpga said:
OMG my heart hurts so much for this beardie watching this... I hope someone can help you fast!

I know, It's so scary...thank you very much, I'm hoping to find my way to a reptile vet soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The video is heart breaking. I am so sorry for him & for you.
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb you are using, is it the long tube bulb or the small compact/coil
bulb? Do you have a plastic cover on it & how far away is it from him?
How long has he been acting this way?
Those types of seizures are very serious & cause a lot of pain for him.
Are you giving calcium supplementation? I highly recommend getting him to a qualified
reptile vet in the very least or trying to get him started on a liquid calcium supplement as
soon as possible.
Can you post some pictures of the tank setup for us too?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Tayraye

Original Poster
Drache613":2d79h1wb said:
Hello,

The Reptisun 10 tube bulb you are using, is it the long tube bulb or the small compact/coil
Are you giving calcium supplementation? I highly recommend getting him to a qualified
reptile vet in the very least or trying to get him started on a liquid calcium supplement as
soon as possible.

Tracie

The reptisun uvb is a long tube one, with no plastic cover. I'm not sure how many inches...I do not have a way of measuring.

His seizures have occured around the begining of this month...and they seem to be happening more (the one in the video was his worst one). He even had two smaller ones in one day...

Yes, I dust his salad and crickets with Exo Terra Calcium, however he only eats so little...I been sticking food into his mouth just so can get the calcium into his body, and even mixing it into his water. If you have any liquid calcium recommendations please let me know.

Here's a photo of his set up https://m.imgur.com/gallery/8YxWpkH

Thank you, I really appreciate the help...I'm trying to find a way to get him to a vet.

Aebrius

Tayraye":2z61y1l4 said:
Drache613":2z61y1l4 said:
Hello,

soon as possible.

Tracie

The reptisun uvb is a long tube one, with no plastic cover. I'm not sure how many inches...I do not have a way of measuring.

His seizures have occured around the begining of this month...and they seem to be happening more (the one in the video was his worst one). He even had two smaller ones in one day...

Here's a photo of his set up https://m.imgur.com/gallery/8YxWpkH

Thank you, I really appreciate the help...I'm trying to find a way to get him to a vet.

Your link there seems to be broken, just a heads up!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you get another link up with your setup, that link seems to be broken.
How is he doing today? Has he ever had seizures before this month? I had noticed he had
part of his tail missing, when did that happen?
Lighting placement can make a tremendous difference in the UVB exposure for them. If he
isn't eating much of the greens with calcium or any dusted bugs then he definitely isn't getting
much if any calcium intake.
I will PM you a link for some liquid calcium, if you want to try that out.

Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Tayraye

Original Poster
Drache613":tifgjtw0 said:
Hello,

Can you get another link up with your setup, that link seems to be broken.
How is he doing today? Has he ever had seizures before this month? I had noticed he had
part of his tail missing, when did that happen?
Lighting placement can make a tremendous difference in the UVB exposure for them. If he
isn't eating much of the greens with calcium or any dusted bugs then he definitely isn't getting
much if any calcium intake.
I will PM you a link for some liquid calcium, if you want to try that out.

Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

http://imgur.com/gallery/L1pUxjn Here you go! This should work

He seems well, alert and is moving around, although when I offered him crickets, and salad he didn't care to eat any...I had to go to work, so I hope he didn't have any while I was gone...

Before I picked him up from a breeder (at 6 months) his sibilings bit it off, so unfortuately he is missing a good chunk of his tail :( I bought him specifcally as I was worried no one else would want him.

I would love that! Thank you.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello there. How's your little guy doing today? I saw the video of the seizures and it just breaks my heart. Hope he's feeling a bit better!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Taylor,

I hope your calcium gets to you quickly, it was sent out today!
How is he doing today?
At least he is alert which is a good sign. Has he eaten anything for you today?
I hope he is having a better day & let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Tayraye

Original Poster
vrenee1018":r3oatv4f said:
Hello there. How's your little guy doing today? I saw the video of the seizures and it just breaks my heart. Hope he's feeling a bit better!

Thanks! No seizures so far. He seems to be doing well! Sleepy and he only ate a few bites of his salad, but so far so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom