My first beardie and I’m stressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnr21

Hello my name is John and I just bought a dragon 6 days ago. I was in PetSmart looking for dog toys and I saw the little guy and couldn’t help myself. I felt so bad for him so I bought him. I should have done some research because the worker got me setup and I started doing research and realized how bad it was so I started from scratch. Clyde is doing much better now and I’m still waiting for some stuff to come in online. $600 later and I’m stressed if he is doing ok. Clyde is 9 inches and weighs 25 grams. Sometimes he seems super active and hungry like yesterday but today all he ate were a few pieces of greens. He refused to eat his crickets but he is still very alert.
104455-9060073290.jpg
104455-4660925423.jpg
104455-8556185024.jpg
104455-4228196624.jpg
104455-4146732334.jpg
104455-2519609020.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi John, welcome to the forum! Clyde looks like he's pretty healthy and content. Unfortunately a lot of them come with poor advice from the pet shop. I'm glad you were able to get him some upgrades quickly. Is that the Exo Terra 36x18x18 enclosure? The setup looks pretty nice! What are you measuring for basking temps on his hammock? You might want to set up a second probe over on the cool side near his hide so you have a good idea of what the gradient is across the tank.
What do you have in place for his UVB lighting?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum and it figures they sold you stuff that you are going to haft to replace-- first what have you figured out that was wrong--- the UVB that is recommended here is the Reptisun 10.0 T5 or a T8--- the T5 will take a flat fixture -- the T 8 takes a regular fixture-- the tank is that a 20 gallon -- I recommend you get it off the floor --dragons like to see what is going on and the floor is drafty---- I am still looking at your tank -- the UVB is it a coil? If it is get what I mentioned above-- that coil is not any good! Basking temps for your little one should be 100-105 or so maybe 110-- you should pick up a Infrared heat gun they are most accurate for basking temps-you can use the probe but the IR is better- the probe can actually go on your cool side of tank -- which should be around 80 's during the day and 70 at nite or so but not below 65 -- your little dude will quickly outgrow that tank he is in -- for a full size dragon they should be in a 75 - 120 gallon tank - you can keep them in a 40 gallon long but I would really recommend getting a bigger tank -- if they are in smaller tanks they tend to do a lot of glass surfing meaning they want out!! He probably has relocation stress so he may not eat as much --- but I would really get your lighting in order --- depending on what you get the T5 or a T8 will depend on where you place that UVB-- the T5 is a stronger bulb and need replacing once a year where as the T 8 will need to be changed every 6 months-- the relocation stress can last for a while --- I would be patient w/ him --- put your hands in the tank like cleaning etc so he gets used to you - you can also put in a piece of fleece or old shirt something that is soft and w/ your scent on it -- it will get him used to you
Karrie

Johnr21

Original Poster
I have a CHE lamp coming in two days because the temp has been reading mid 60’s and I bought another prob thermometer. It is the exoterra 36x18x18. For uvb I bought the reptisun 10.0 t8 and I have it mounted inside. I measure the distance from his hammock to the light and it’s 7 inches. At the moment I do not have anything to set him on. I also have vitamins coming in the mail. I’m using repticalcium to put on his crickets. Petco told me he could eat large crickets but after I put him in the Viv and watched him I threw them out and bought medium sized ones. Today was the first time I’ve been able to feed him collard greens but it is probably because I rubbed the leaves against the apple slices I was about to put in the cricket box haha. The other Viv I had before was the all living things desert reptile starter kit and for any one that is reading STAY AWAY FROM IT. It was the worst thing in the world. The mesh on the top is small so you can’t really place the lights where you want to and the only entrance is from the top. Before I returned it I looked for different lids but the dimensions were weird. I also have Clyde his first bath today. How should I go about giving him his water? And can I bathe him in tap? I have water conditioner coming in the mail too. I read somewhere that babies should bask at 115 so his ranges from 110-116 but I feel like that is too high.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can bath him in regular tap water -- and he will get water that way- since he is a baby his main diet will be the crickets or dubais-- just make sure your feeding them good and he will get hydration from them as well - but bathing is good hydration -- the basking temp should be 105-110 or so they usually like it a little warmer -- you can offer him collard turnip or mustard greens - squash butter nut zucchini or yellow green beans apples strawberries blueberries mango etc no citrus! If he doesnt eat it thats ok but just keep offering as when he gets closer to a year or so that diet will flip--- but right now he needs the protein - dusted w/ calcium powder 5 x per week w/ vitamins 2 x per week-- your T 8 bulb will need to be changed out in 6 months--- there is a nutrition list on the feeding board its a website you can check out -- dandelions are in season now and they like those - the yellow flowers and leaves no stems! Just make sure they are NOT SPRAYED!!!!
Karrie

Johnr21

Original Poster
Thank you for all the help! I also found an old mic stand to adjust the temp. He’s at 108 now!
104455-3992120507.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Having an adjustable lamp stand is great. I adjust my lamps that way too. 7'' is a good distance for your T8. You might want to consider getting a T5 though when that needs replacement in a few months. They are quite a bit stronger and better suited to a tank that size (I use the same tank).

Johnr21

Original Poster
Would I be able to use a t5 with the 30” hood? Also wondering about his size. Is 25 grams good for being 9 inches?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You should be able to get a T5 bulb I would think- as far as weight not sure on that one
Karrie

Don’t stress you sound like you’re doing ok, I’ve had my
New baby beardie for about 6 days now and I’m stressing too so I guess better said than done lol! With my little one I would put crickets in and he would ignore them and just stay on his perch so a few times (not so much that I was annoying or bothersome) but I’d take him down from his perch and put him down with the crickets and then he would eat some and then jump
Back up and relax and then a while later he would eat a few more or I’d put him back down to their level again. Also, I only put like 3 or so crickets in at a time because the second day I had him we put like ten in there and he got realllly stressed out and didn’t eat any of them! Another thing you could try is taking your dragon out of his tank and putting him on a plate with some small Dubia Roaches (order some right online if you don’t have any) and put a couple roaches on the plate with him and let him grab them, some dragons prefer to eat in their tank (like my baby, he will not eat out of his tank) but from what I’ve seen with other dragons some will. Like someone said above they have relocation stress that can last a week or so and appetite is something that is effected from the stress. Some baby beardies don’t eat at all during the first week in their new home! I have a wash cloth that I put in his tank at night and he sleeps inside it, it comforts him! I have also been taking him out of his tank the past few days more. I gave him a couple days to just chill and see his new surroundings and everything but now I took him out the last two days on a bonding trip and I think he really enjoys it. Tonight I gave him a nice bath and let him hang out on my shoulder before beddy by time. Again try putting his tank in a sunny spot off the floor if you can! Just so that he gets the extra light (which will
Make him happy) and he will be able to see his world better! They don’t drink water out of a bowl at this age, mine doesn’t at all. I mist mine down 1-2 times a day but apparently that doesn’t work I heard, so someone suggested giving a warm bath daily. Try putting drips of water on his head/nose and let it lick it off! Plus it’ll get water from veggies too!make sure to feed your crickets and other bugs healthy foods that you would feed your dragon, it’s called gut loading! Just some tips from a newbie to another lol! And I am buying all new stuff just like you are lol! They don’t give you the proper things at the pet store I guess you gotta find out through experience ???????. These are the feelings surrounding my new pet lol

Johnr21

Original Poster
Karebearfreezepop0":3ykclkdb said:
Don’t stress you sound like you’re doing ok, I’ve had my
New baby beardie for about 6 days now and I’m stressing too so I guess better said than done lol! With my little one I would put crickets in and he would ignore them and just stay on his perch so a few times (not so much that I was annoying or bothersome) but I’d take him down from his perch and put him down with the crickets and then he would eat some and then jump
Back up and relax and then a while later he would eat a few more or I’d put him back down to their level again. Also, I only put like 3 or so crickets in at a time because the second day I had him we put like ten in there and he got realllly stressed out and didn’t eat any of them! Another thing you could try is taking your dragon out of his tank and putting him on a plate with some small Dubia Roaches (order some right online if you don’t have any) and put a couple roaches on the plate with him and let him grab them, some dragons prefer to eat in their tank (like my baby, he will not eat out of his tank) but from what I’ve seen with other dragons some will. Like someone said above they have relocation stress that can last a week or so and appetite is something that is effected from the stress. Some baby beardies don’t eat at all during the first week in their new home! I have a wash cloth that I put in his tank at night and he sleeps inside it, it comforts him! I have also been taking him out of his tank the past few days more. I gave him a couple days to just chill and see his new surroundings and everything but now I took him out the last two days on a bonding trip and I think he really enjoys it. Tonight I gave him a nice bath and let him hang out on my shoulder before beddy by time. Again try putting his tank in a sunny spot off the floor if you can! Just so that he gets the extra light (which will
Make him happy) and he will be able to see his world better! They don’t drink water out of a bowl at this age, mine doesn’t at all. I mist mine down 1-2 times a day but apparently that doesn’t work I heard, so someone suggested giving a warm bath daily. Try putting drips of water on his head/nose and let it lick it off! Plus it’ll get water from veggies too!make sure to feed your crickets and other bugs healthy foods that you would feed your dragon, it’s called gut loading! Just some tips from a newbie to another lol! And I am buying all new stuff just like you are lol! They don’t give you the proper things at the pet store I guess you gotta find out through experience ???????. These are the feelings surrounding my new pet lol

I’ve started hand feeding my beardie and he has been eating like crazy! He is still very stressed and has stress marks on his belly so I’m trying not to handle him. I tried to give a bath today and he was not having it?. My CHE finally came in so I can turn the thermostat down at home so that’s good!

Oh awesome! I wish he’d eat out of my hand! Mine is still stressing quite a bit too! The past two days he hasn’t eaten as much as I had him eating, not that much less but still less and still not the recommended amount either! I feel like it’s a full time job right now lol! I’m
Literally scared to leave for work tomorrow because the past few days I’ve been checking this and checking that! I’m having a hard time with getting his temps up so there’s a lot of rearranging involved for me! Ugh but just know that you are not alone! Many people feel and are going through what you are going through too an dits a baby just like all babies they require a lot! Patience, it’s a process! Again better saying than doing! ?.
104453-9761207602.jpg

This photo was taken right when I got him home from pet store so he looks a little upset! Not usually as upset looking anymore lol

Johnr21

Original Poster
He is still very cute! And i feel you about work. I have worked 4-midnight the last 6 days in a row and im so stressed at work but luckily i have roommates and I am constantly facetiming them and asking them to check up on him!

Johnr21

Original Poster
Also I read that it’s good to put a T-shirt in so they can get used to your scent and this is what I came home to after buying groceries yesterday?
104455-4331182055.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom