Switching From Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I’ve raised my bearded dragon on crickets (since 5 weeks) and raw foods (last 2 months she started to eat) escarole, prickly pear, mustard greens etc. I’d like to switch her over to some other type of live food but wasn’t sure exactly what I should give her. I have to stop crickets because they’re 1” now and have been getting out in my apartment no matter what I do (causing my landlord to have a huge issue with our dragon). She is 6.5 months old, 17.5” and 302g. I prefer something that doesn’t smell or escape easily like a cricket ???‍♀️

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lots of good feeder options out there for ya!

Hers my top list

Silkworms
Butterworms
Dubias
BSFL
Appropriate sized hornworms

Other options that aren't as good but can still be added for variety sake would be mealworms and appropriately sized superworms.

-Brandon

BabyBeardie13

Original Poster
claudiusx":1b25tyx4 said:
Lots of good feeder options out there for ya!

Hers my top list

Silkworms
Butterworms
Dubias
BSFL
Appropriate sized hornworms

Other options that aren't as good but can still be added for variety sake would be mealworms and appropriately sized superworms.

-Brandon

Thank you! Out of those worms which would be okay to buy in bulk and how many do I feed her? I have to order online because stores around here don’t have anything like that unfortunately.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Butterworms can be bought in bulk and stored for quite some time but they are pretty expensive.

Silkworms are hard to come by but you can buy the eggs very easily and hatch them yourself. Then it just takes the time needed to grow them to the size you want.

Dubias you can order in bulk but I'd recommend if you're going to do that that you might as well breed them and start your own colony. Your landlord wont like hearing you have a roach colony but they are easy to keep and dont escape so he will never know if you dont tell him lol.

BSFL can be bought in bulk too and are probably the easiest to buy in bulk and keep. But not all dragons like bsfl so you might want to try a hundred or two first.

Hornworms are more so a treat so you wouldn't want to buy them in bulk, especially since they grow so quickly to enormous sizes.

And of course you can easily get supers and mealworms in bulk online.

I like mulberryfarms for my online insects, but there are lots of good places out there so do some research and pick who you like best.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom