Meet Marley. Some questions and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

https://imgur.com/a/NQpqO2d
Image gallery. So here's his terrarium, I tried wood walls they looked great but I found out they were white cedar which is so harmful to them and took it out in an hour. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap wall that is ok for him to have in his habitat? His roaches, a salad. I have a hammock for him too but he needs walls up before I put that up. Took the black hood off the basking bulb because the hood was huge and blocked the reptisun 10 t5. Basking bulb is the Zilla one 75 watt with dimmer. Basking rock is 109. He's warming up to us, I think tonight he actually didn't want to leave my arms, I usually keep a grip or my hands right around him in case he runs cause he sure tries. Tonight I let him wander my arms and the couch without blocking him and he was cool about it, didn't move too fast.i bathed him 3 times now trying to train him to poop in his water. His tail began to shed and seems light now under the she'd will it get darker again? He wouldn't eat his salads or veggies at all since day one. Today he ate somef baby arugula and here's my tip, the way I got him to do it was bend it crunch and crush it to release aroma, that had him snatching it right out of my hand. I thought he was sick or something, but I think he's fine, I'm just overprotective because he's so small. He wasn't basking toooo much and was hiding but I think he does that stuff all fine now. Poops everyday, eats roaches like a beast. I have calcium and vitamins reptcal. Have light times, 5 am to 7 pm. My questions are how does everything look? I got lucky and got my items based on this forum rather then petshop, his enclosure cost about 50 to make 200 for lights and supplies. Roaches from reptile deli com. My other question is, I notice he's got a pretty fat belly, does it look ok? I think everything I was scared of is fine. I also got a webcam to watch him it will be in soon. Also bonus pic of him sleeping in a funny way on his log standing up. Thanks for reading! Oh and yes I want to do the walls and get more decorations like logs and plants and need help with safe walls, I was upset when I found out the wood was white cedar and was like number one danger ous wood to reptiles.

Oh and I got him from bearded dragons of Brooklyn, which is local but they do deliver. Excellent service the whole way, I l o v e them!

Johnr21

Wow that's a cute beardie. I got my first dragon 6 days ago and today was my first day that i got him to eat his greens. I rubbed them against a sliced apple piece and the scent must have intrigued him so i guess try that?

Cor

Original Poster
Johnr21":1pmcpbk7 said:
Wow that's a cute beardie. I got my first dragon 6 days ago and today was my first day that i got him to eat his greens. I rubbed them against a sliced apple piece and the scent must have intrigued him so i guess try that?
I think I just read this in another topic today, it must have been you! Thanks for the fast reply, I thought I was going to have to wait days until someone said something. He is so cute and so tiny lol, thank you! I will try the apple thing. I've been trying to give him butternut squash and he's not having it. I have so many veg that are going to go to waste lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Be patient with him, he's still young. Your setup sounds good. He may ignore veges for now which is OK. He needs protein to support his growth spurts so make sure to offer him a couple of bug meals per day. Let him have as much as he wants and keep in mind his appetite will fluctuate. it can be tough to train them to poop on a regular schedule while they're young. If he doesn't like baths don't force them. They are OK if he seems relaxed in them though. This varies between dragons.

Cor

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2mtz66dw said:
Be patient with him, he's still young. Your setup sounds good. He may ignore veges for now which is OK. He needs protein to support his growth spurts so make sure to offer him a couple of bug meals per day. Let him have as much as he wants and keep in mind his appetite will fluctuate. it can be tough to train them to poop on a regular schedule while they're young. If he doesn't like baths don't force them. They are OK if he seems relaxed in them though. This varies between dragons.
I'm not really sure how he feels about baths. He just kind of stands there. Barley moves. I try to walk away so he can explore but he doesn't. That's ok at least he's getting clean and not fussy about it. I haven't bought the infant toothbrush yet I kind of just let him chill and drop water on his back also I do give him lots of roaches I just don't want him to be spoiled and never eat greens by setting a precidence early

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please dont leave him alone in the bath water-- please read Brandons post --bath times a sobering moment! things can quickly go down hill if your not watching
Karrie

Cor

Original Poster
KarrieRee":37vpbzt8 said:
Please dont leave him alone in the bath water-- please read Brandons post --bath times a sobering moment! things can quickly go down hill if your not watching
Karrie
I'm usually right around the corner working on his tank while he's not in it and check him constantly. He won't poop if I'm watching though. What could happen?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I find it odd but some love the water-- mine does not - he'd rather be running from it--- but it's just something to keep in mind on how fast things can go down hill
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cor":1d1u9wkb said:
I read it very sad. So can these guys not have their head in water at all?

I think what happened was Moro just got scared and breathed in while she was under. I've had dragons go under before and nothing bad happened, although I usually prevent that from happening.

But yes, I would recommend keeping an eye on them, and keeping the water shallow enough.
It's kinda cute/funny that he wont poo if you're watching him haha.

Funny how quickly they become spoiled brats :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Cor

Original Poster
Hi Brandon thanks for visiting! Your dragons are so gorgeous! I recently got lizard webcam! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom