EMERGENCY! Beardie swallowed a dime

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliesmom99

Hi, I have a 2 year old male beardie named Charlie. He’s about 21 inches long. About an hour ago he swallowed a dime, it just happened so fast. I made an appointment with a vet for tomorrow morning but it’s possible that he might need $1000 surgery which I can not afford. Does anyone have any knowledge on the subject or a similar experience??

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would see if it passes before opting for surgery. A dime shouldn't be too much for an adult dragon to pass although it's probably not going to be super comfortable.

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Here is a thread where one ate a penny and eventually passed it. It looks like this is a safer thing than immediately opting for a surgical route as there were other posts about going that way & the dragon not surviving. Good luck & please keep us updated!

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=204878#p1618012

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I do want to mention that from the thread linked above, the switch to regular food is most likely what helped pass the penny through the system.

The object needs help to be pushed through the system, and the baby food she was using at first was most likely slipping right past the penny and not pushing it along.

I think the baby food is a good idea to keep nutrients moving in and out during this time, and to help prevent an impaction, but use the baby food as a supplement to the normal food you offer imo.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with the others, dragons can usually pass these objects so I'd just feed him mostly as usual but include a lot of hydration and offer only smallish prey items. I can imagine how worried you are but that is what I would do. Surgery has it's own huge risks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good for him ! I bet you're very relieved and glad that you don't have to wait to see how it turns out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news he got that out of his system, poor guy had to throw it up though!
Is his appetite doing well then after this episode?
They are absolutely so fast that it's hard to catch them on everything they do.
I'm glad that he is doing fine now.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom