Potential egg bound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, so my female beardie layed some infertile eggs about a month ago, and ever since she hasn't really got her appetite back. I have offered her lots of calcium cover insects but she shows little to no interest in them. Same with her greens, she used to be really good for eating her greens but doesn't anymore. She layed about 14 eggs and I cant feel anything in her stomach, but her stomach feels a bit more hard than the other dragons I have. She also kind of twitches when I touch her on her sides.
Her husbandry: 4ftx2ftx2ft vivarium, UVB 12%, basking spot of 42deg Celsius, ambient temp of around 35deg Celsius. Always clean out poo when I see it. She is on a play sand/ top soil mix. Photos attached.
104247-1144204718.jpg
104247-5206445912.jpg
104247-7192584839.jpg

Thank you guys. Any advice you can give would be great. I will probably be booking her in for an ultrasound tomorrow. Thanks again :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would definitely get an ultrasound or x-rays to see if there are other eggs in her tummy that
may be developing.
The fact that she hasn't gotten her appetite back isn't a good sign, so hopefully she isn't egg
bound or had any egg (s) burst internally. She looks good overall. Has she black bearded at
all or acted restless?
Has she lost a weight that you can tell?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Smiffstaar

Original Poster
Thanks for getting back to me, I will be getting her booked in for an ultrasound but I cant do it until Friday. She hasn't black bearded at all, she still moves around but I have noticed today that she kind of moves with a wobble. She almost woddles from side to side with each step. She has lost some weight, not loads. She was a big girl when I first got her (I rescued her about 3 months ago).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, not sure if this is contributing to the problem but her temps. seem high. Basking spot is good at 100 F, cool areas from 78-84 + closer to the basking area around 90. I wasn't sure if 95F was the temp. throughout the tank as you described along with the 107 basking spot. She may be dehydrated if temps are too high. Does she drink at all ? Be sure to offer water with a syringe directly on her snout, a small spray bottle will work as well. And can you post pics of her tank set up ?

Smiffstaar

Original Poster
AHBD":k4xlcaex said:
Hi there, not sure if this is contributing to the problem but her temps. seem high. Basking spot is good at 100 F, cool areas from 78-84 + closer to the basking area around 90. I wasn't sure if 95F was the temp. throughout the tank as you described along with the 107 basking spot. She may be dehydrated if temps are too high. Does she drink at all ? Be sure to offer water with a syringe directly on her snout, a small spray bottle will work as well. And can you post pics of her tank set up ?

Hi there, no the temps go down to about 83f on the cool side but you are right, it is a little too warm, I will lower it down a few degrees and see if that helps. She is not dehydrated, I give all my dragons greens that have been sprayed with water and that is normally enough water for the dragons. If not they have a drink in the bath. If that fails I put 3ml of water in a syringe and give them that every day or two.

Smiffstaar

Original Poster
AHBD":18468pr9 said:
That's good. BTW can you post pics of the tank + lights ?

Unfortunately I cant I'm at work, but she has a 150watt basking bulb, and 4ft uvb fluorescent tube (Arcadia brand I believe) with reflector. Logs and rocks to climb on. Substrate is topsoil/playsand mix (only put her on that a few days ago). Anything else I can answer? :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I asked for the pics to see the position + distance of the uvb bulb. If it's too far away + blocked by screen then it may be causing calcium deficiency which could cause the shakiness she's experiencing.

Smiffstaar

Original Poster
AHBD":2ktgyj6o said:
I asked for the pics to see the position + distance of the uvb bulb. If it's too far away + blocked by screen then it may be causing calcium deficiency which could cause the shakiness she's experiencing.

Oh I see, well the UV bulb is placed in the top corner of the vivarium, I want aware that the distance was a factor. The guy at the reptile shop told me it was ok. But my tank is 2ft high. Is that too far? And for the record, it's only a wobble when she walks. Her head doesn't wobble and she has full mobility of her legs.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl today?
The UVB 12%, that is a T8 or a T5 high output bulb?
If your tank is 2 feet tall, the regular T8 will need to be within a 6-8 distance from her,
ideally underneath of the screen for better UVB exposure.
Does she have any black beard right now, or has she laid anymore eggs? If she has
already laid 14 eggs that may be all she has, but an ultrasound would help. You are
still getting her one this friday to be sure nothing else is going on with her?
I would also get extra calcium into her, maybe some liquid calcium, if she wont eat her
dusted bugs right now.
How are her temperatures doing, did you get them adjusted?

Tracie

Hi, I am having a similar issue after my Baby's 1st time laying, she got her appetite back immediately after but now it's dwindled down to nothing. Taking her to the vet as soon as she can take me, hopefully either tomorrow or Saturday. Have you had any progress?

Smiffstaar

Original Poster
Drache613":39o8i68v said:
Hello,

How is your girl today?
The UVB 12%, that is a T8 or a T5 high output bulb?
If your tank is 2 feet tall, the regular T8 will need to be within a 6-8 distance from her,
ideally underneath of the screen for better UVB exposure.
Does she have any black beard right now, or has she laid anymore eggs? If she has
already laid 14 eggs that may be all she has, but an ultrasound would help. You are
still getting her one this friday to be sure nothing else is going on with her?
I would also get extra calcium into her, maybe some liquid calcium, if she wont eat her
dusted bugs right now.
How are her temperatures doing, did you get them adjusted?

Tracie

Hi Tracie, I have just got back from the vets and it turns out she hasn't got eggs left inside her but she has over produced the egg follicles and now needs to get her reproductive system removed. I did so much research and not once came across this problem and now I want to do all I can to get this information to as many people as possible. I have now moved the UV bulb as close as I can. I hope she will be okay, the vet is quite worried. Thank you and thank you to everyone who has helped :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom