Help! Allergic to Dubias??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexylexyy

Hatchling Member
How do I know if I’m allergic to Dubia Roaches? And if I am, do I get the allergic reactions when I’m handling and cleaning them only??

also, how can roaches get mites in their bins??

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Swap to something else for a week , it might be the insects or their fras (poo) that you are reacting to.

If when you change the symptoms go away ,it's the insects or their fras.

Lexylexyy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1p2rqc0e said:
Swap to something else for a week , it might be the insects or their fras (poo) that you are reacting to.

Okay! Will I only get reactions during handling the roaches?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lexylexyy":1itqsftr said:
kingofnobbys":1itqsftr said:

I'm not a MD, you need perhaps to have your GP do allergy screening IF you are indeed allergic to roaches (which I doubt as roaches are very fastidious and clean critters, they have to be survive and thrive in filthy situations).

Is more likely it's you are allergic to their fras or the molds that form on their food if it's not replaced before it forms molds.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
You could use thin latex (or other material if you have latex allergy) gloves to handle them and their equipment. I think you'd have to be kicking up a LOT of dirt/frass to be concerned about respiratory allergy, but if you are, you could use a painters mask.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lexylexyy":21iy9hyj said:
kingofnobbys":21iy9hyj said:

No, not only from handling. It can be from contact or the breathing in of particulates that causes the allergic response. But usually your symptoms will develop over time and become worse and worse, so you'll know as time goes on. It would be very unlikely to instantly develop anaphylaxis from your first exposure to them but it is possible. Gail who is a member here almost had to go to the er after being exposed to dubias. You might want to reach out to her, or ask her to post here for us.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom