Slight head twitch, lack of balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am concerned after leaving my beardie over the weekend (after feeding dubia, and leaving a supply of some green beans and peas)...

When I returned, things didn't seem right:
a) He hasn't pooped in a few days (but this might be normal as he is getting older? Now a little over 1 year old)
b) He didn't eat much food... only a few green beans and peas (usually he has a voracious appetite for these, but he left several to dry up)
c) When I took him out of the tank, he sort of "backflopped" out of my hand... usually he is very graceful and energetic, but this seemed both spasmodic and lethargic. I was hoping it was maybe just because he still had low metabolism (had only been awake and basking for probably an hour), but I also noticed that his head seemed to be twitching/trembling ever so slightly when he held it still. Sort of like a micro-nod... barely noticeable, but still worrisome.

When I put him back in the tank and hand-fed him some dried black soldier fly larvae, he still had a good appetite for those, which was reassuring... but he almost fell over sideways when climbing his basking log, which never happens. Seems to have slight imbalance / lack of coordination.

Some other info:
He is under ReptiSun 10.0 UVB HO tube (purchased/installed in October)
Basking temp is 105 degrees; cool side of tank is 75 (plus CHE at night that kicks on at 73 degrees)
No sand/substrate; I am using non-adhesive drawer liner as the flooring.
Diet has been a combination of collard greens, crickets, dubia, occasional acorn squash, green beans, peas, dried BSF larvae, and sometimes Flukers dry food. (calcium dusting 4x per week)
Last bowel movement (about 2.5 days ago) appeared fine and healthy.

He has seemed very healthy for nearly the entire time I have had him (since September), other than a few days of severe glass surfing about a week ago, but he stopped after a couple days

karmakollector

Original Poster
One more thing: just let him out of the tank for a bit to walk around... he seems to be leaning/flopping over to his left, instead of standing upright like usual. Could he have injured himself or gotten a concussion with all the glass surfing? Could something else affect his equilibrium?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible that he has injured himself. It could also be a coincidence and either he's just now showing signs of a problem or it's more noticeable. The lack of balance over an extended period of time is a bit worrisome. Possibly an inner ear issue or could be something like atadenovirus. If the weather warrants it, try taking him outside for some natural sunlight and see if that makes a difference. If he continues wobbling though I'd bring him in to an experienced vet for an exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom