Cat scaring dragon,.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laylac123

We do have cats but one of them is a sexy young (hunter) of a boy. This is why we have our kinda new dragon in my Daughters bedroom.The others are old and not interested,...
now that he is not allowed in there he is now sneaking in and darting under the bed ughhhhhhh...
This morning we caught him in the room and our Dragon Lorenzo was cowarding in the corner and I immediately noticed that his coloration had changed and was darker ( he is a hypo red ) usually very orange and bright and he is now all freaked out and jumpy.
He did eat his crickets and we've soaked him but damn I feel awful and willing to bet that his breeder had no cats because he felt a threat.
I guess its clear now that I cannot move his tank out of that bedroom into a more central location which bums me out a bit but also I just feel awful and input thank you and
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY !!!!
WE DID A SWAMP TOUR HERE IN LOUISIANA AND ARE NOW BOILING CRAYFISH YUMMMMMM

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The cats are a predator and cannot be trusted -- I have 4 in my house and although they are used to Hiccup I never leave him alone w/ them when he is out--- I have Hiccup in my office and the cats do come in the office and sleep on the floor they never try to jump on his tank because they really cant get to it -- I have the tank on a aquarium stand -- the cats are used to Hiccup and pretty much ignore him --- the most they do is smell him and walk away --- but I would definitely watch your cat / cats
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is definitely a major problem for sure. Cats are predators & can't be trusted at all around
such a small creature like bearded dragons.
Is the tank up off of the floor at least?
The primary thing I would consider would be to keep the tank up off of the floor & have a locking
top. It's best not to even let the cat into the bedroom at all if at all possible. The bedroom door
just needs to be closed 24/7 since the cat has become so sneaky & in predator mode. Your
little dragon will become very stressed.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Cats and lizards are NEVER going to be a safe situation, no matter how fat and lazy the cat seems to be.

If you MUST have cats living in the same house as a pet lizard

>> the cats must never be allowed near the lizard when it's out , it only takes a moment for a cat to lash out and inflict a potentially deadly bite or scratch (cat only needs to break the skin - it's the germs on the cat's teeth and claws that will kill the lizard , very hard to cure an infection caused by a cat attack ( drug resistant bacteria and viruses ==> likely a death sentence).
If this happens - honey on the bite or penetrating claw wound will not help, it's a full blown vet emergency and powerful antibiotic injections started right away are needed to be with a chance of saving the lizard's life.

>> don't house the lizard in tank with a mesh top, even wire mesh is no deterrent or obstacle to a determined cat who wants to get the resident lizard , they are perfectly capable of tearing a hole in even a wire mesh lid.

There are steps that can taken to make a fish tank style mesh topped tank cat proof viewtopic.php?f=75&t=240221&p=1840683#p1840683

Laylac123

Original Poster
Thanks everyone and yes the tank is off the floor and has a secure locking top.
We are all being vigilant about not letting him sneak in the room I felt so aweful
and now its just one more worry in the house

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Look up Scat Mats. They're essentially plastic mats with very thin wires that will give your cat a tiny shock (think static zap, like when you touch metal after shuffling across carpet or something). It doesn't harm the cat at all, and it can help train them to stay off the dragon tank. That could possibly allow you to put the dragon's tank in the livingroom like you wanted, too. You could put one on top of the tank, and you could even set some on the floor around it if you wanted to - just remember if you step on it with bare feet it will zap you, too.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
JumpinJellyfish":3f7fc2uo said:
just remember if you step on it with bare feet it will zap you, too.

That's where the name jumpinjellyfish came from huh? LOL

In reality, that's an interesting idea. Personally in the past I've had quite a few cats and never had an issue of them trying to get in the tanks. But this was a long time ago and I dont have cats anymore, so i have no use for that. But it would be interesting to see if anyone else has had success with the mats.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JumpinJellyfish":1nh47y2n said:
Look up Scat Mats. They're essentially plastic mats with very thin wires that will give your cat a tiny shock (think static zap, like when you touch metal after shuffling across carpet or something). It doesn't harm the cat at all, and it can help train them to stay off the dragon tank. That could possibly allow you to put the dragon's tank in the livingroom like you wanted, too. You could put one on top of the tank, and you could even set some on the floor around it if you wanted to - just remember if you step on it with bare feet it will zap you, too.

Trouble with rubbish like Scat Mats , is the cat will learn it will get a little zap and will become accustomed to it and will soon not even be bothered by the little electrostatic zaps ==> not a good LONG TERM / PERMANENT solution and if you think it will be you are deluding yourself .

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
claudiusx":1h6ukf0m said:
JumpinJellyfish":1h6ukf0m said:
just remember if you step on it with bare feet it will zap you, too.

That's where the name jumpinjellyfish came from huh? LOL

In reality, that's an interesting idea. Personally in the past I've had quite a few cats and never had an issue of them trying to get in the tanks. But this was a long time ago and I dont have cats anymore, so i have no use for that. But it would be interesting to see if anyone else has had success with the mats.

-Brandon

LOL!!! The nickname was given to me by an old friend, but you made me laugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom