Advise on Re-homing ,...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The care and maintenance is a chore but after a while it becomes routine and doesn't feel like a big deal. It's good to have them centrally located in the house because they are curious and generally like to be able to see the action around the house. Do be careful of the cats but if you keep the tank closed/locked it should be OK. If the rock is tough to clean then maybe replacing it with a smoother rock or platform of some kind that is easier to clean would be helpful. I have a rock that sometimes gets soiled and I just spray it down with vinegar, let it sit for a while and then rinse it clean. That works pretty well most of the time. If you have any other questions about his care or behavior please feel free to post a thread in the appropriate forum and we'll be glad to help you as much as we can =) Hopefully he will grow on you soon and will be a happy addition to your home.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
maybe he was meant to be mine from the beginning yay to being a parent :|

Maybe :)

My wife wanted a dragon, and I initially thought "what the heck are we going to do with a lizard?", but I have completely changed my mind on them, and can say without reservation that they are my favorite pet of all time (I have had dogs, rabbits, mice, and cats in the past).

One thing though with cats. You MUST secure your vivarium if you have them, regardless of whether they're normally in the same areas of the house. This means a mechanism to lock it down + having a top that they can't claw open and is strong enough not to budge if they jump on it, or you run a significant risk of coming home to dead dragon. I'd urge you to never have the dragon out in the presence of cats, not house them in the same area in general, and always make sure that the cats don't slip into the room with the dragon. They're quick and quiet as you know!

Also, if the dragon sees the cat as a threat, it will be in a constant state of distress when the cat's around, which is obviously not good. There are a few posters here who have made the situation of cats and dragons work, but there are also plenty of people who post here in a panic or deeply saddened because their dragons have been clawed or killed, so I strongly recommend erring on the side of caution and vigilance.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
I was going to ask why not keep the beardie as your own pet instead of your daughter's. I'm glad you're considering it. :0)
I think you may want to do more research on their needs, and find a way to keep the cats off the enclosure. Having one of their natural predators hanging out over his head would be very stressful, not to mention potentially dangerous for your beardie. I wish you luck in your arrangements!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you still contemplating keeping him instead? I think that would be terrific, if you decided to
keep him. After the financial commitment you already put forth for him & the tank setup, not to
mention the bond he may be starting with you it would be too bad to rehome him.
Of course, if you aren't interested or have the time for him, then, that would definitely be different.

Good luck & let us all know what you decide. If you do need to rehome him, for free, or for sale,
we do have a "For Free" & a "For Sale" (for a small monthly fee in the sale area), if you need
to place an ad, etc.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom