Decorating a MASSIVE Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I'm currently starting to gather stuff to decorate a 4'x2'x4' tank. Up until finishing it, I didn't realize how much space I was going to need to fill. It's true dimensions are actually 48x24x42, with a platform in the middle leaving 23" above and 24" below. Practically two 105G tanks sitting on top of each other with ways to climb in between (PS still figuring out that part too)

It may have been a mistake to go this large but it's a mistake I'll have to live with. Any suggestions? I haven't found anything I like at local stores, much of the wood/platforms/hides seem like they would be too small for a full grown dragon :banghead:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You built the tank now build the fake rock structures to go with it!

It's what I'm doing in my 4x2x4 but that's making two separate enclosures not one 4 foot tall one.

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
claudiusx":z1gjshfs said:
You built the tank now build the fake rock structures to go with it!

It's what I'm doing in my 4x2x4 but that's making two separate enclosures not one 4 foot tall one.

-Brandon

What sorta materials could it be made with? I'll post pics once the center shelf is in. Currently have the sides/back together and vents installed. Center shelf is cut but not installed. Also, I assume I would need considerably heavier support for the center shelf if any sort of weighty material is used? It currently has a 1x2 board across the entire back below it along with a shelf bracket on the larger end of the shelf.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
This is what mine looks like decorated. The only issue I found is keeping it warm enough, which I eventually accomplished by putting a cat bed under the carpet and rigging it with a thermostat switch.

100140-1486974936.jpg
100140-2122807103.jpg

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I'm not too worried about heat, it'll have two levels each with a heat bulb and the upper will have a UVB tube. But i'll have both floors to decorate.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Going for the third coat of seal on the base tank tomorrow, once it dries the shelf/vents will go in. Then I need to seal the roof/underneath. Going to start collecting supplies for fake rock structures soon. Probably going to slowly work this out since I don't currently have funds for any type of acrylic/glass doors whether swinging or slide bc of other stuff going on. Having the money to feed le beardy is more important ATM which kind of bites bc it means she'll be stuck in her baby tank for longer.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Piggy backing my old post instead of a new one...

Reconfirming this will be a double stacked 112g (total 224g) tank with UVB and heat on the top shelf, should the lower part of the tank have heat as well? The shelf will be hiding 60% of the lower area from the lights. One of the UVB guides floating around that lists UVB exposure from varying bulbs, varying distances, with or without reflector and with or without top has a pic of their tank where they do have a heat bulb at the bottom. Not sure if I should follow suit (they had a 240g iirc, double 120g)

EDIT: found the link https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides their tank setup is within the image near the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom