Substrate : beardie life
Temperatures : 40°C basking spot , 27°C cold end,
humidity : 32%
UVB : Arcadia ProT5 12%
Basking bulb : 75W Arcadia halogen spot
supplements: earth pro A and earth pro Ca

Lights on at 07:00
Lights off at 21:00

Has cork bark as a basking spot as-well as hide throughout enclosure, fresh salad provided daily although he doesn't eat it.

Problem :

He rarely basks I have to put him on his basking spot as he wont go there by himself he then only basks for 10-15 mins then goes back to hiding or laying in the corner.

He goes crazy for live food which he is given 3 times a week and runs about his enclosure to catch them, When I got him from the rescue centre he was very active in the shop however since getting him home he has turned into a pet rock he has been with me over 2 months now.

I had a parasite check done that came back clear so that isn't causing the problem.

just wondering if anyone has any advice, could it be that his vivarium is on the floor, is it common for bearded dragons not to do anything, is there something im doing wrong?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum-- I am not sure if its the light he doesnt like or the cork basking platform he is sitting on-- when you rescued him what was he using for a basking platform? And what type of basking light were they using? Could be the temp is too warm and hes not sitting there and moving off- he may not like it that warm - can you lower the temp ? it would help if you could post pics of his tank
Karrie

sean1911

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ib3mqnn said:
Welcome to the forum-- I am not sure if its the light he doesnt like or the cork basking platform he is sitting on-- when you rescued him what was he using for a basking platform? And what type of basking light were they using? Could be the temp is too warm and hes not sitting there and moving off- he may not like it that warm - can you lower the temp ? it would help if you could post pics of his tank
Karrie

104386-149549060.jpg

When he was in the rescue he has slate as a basking spot I was using this originally but still had the same issue, they was using the same basking light that I have, I will try and lower the temp tomorrow and see what happens, but any advise on my setup would be greatly appreciated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would change out the substrate -- can you get some sort of textured non adhesive shelf liner ? Its way easier to keep clean w/ vinegar/water 50/50 in a spray bottle--- I would move him/ her off the floor and put him /her on a desk -- shelf -- dresser something where there are no drafts-- I cant see the UVB is it on top of the screen? And what kind are you using for a UVB? You need to get a IR temp gun -- there is no way to tell what that basking temp is for sure--- you can look at some others tanks on this website to give you an ideas of what you would like to change in the tank -- look at the Enclosures board under Viv pics only thread
Karrie

sean1911

Original Poster
The UVB is Arcadia ProT5 34inch 39W bulb, As for checking the temperatures I have a digital thermometer probe at the basking spot and cool end and I have checked using a IR temp gun, I also use the Microclimate Evo digital thermostat to maintain the temperatures.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok - I haven't heard of that Uvb-- I have a Arcadia T5 24" in my tank approx 15 " from basking spot-- do you plan on upgrading the tank? They recommend 75 or 120 gallon for a adult dragon
Karrie

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
That Arcadia Pro T5 is a good bulb! It's much like this bad boy, http://www.lugarti.com/reptile-lighting/135-t5-uvb-light-reflector.html. I don't have it, but I bought it for my brother's beardie and that thing has some good power to it. I'm sorry, but maybe I missed it, how old is your beardie? I know that adults prefer a bit cooler for their basking area, and that could be why he's not basking much.

I do think you should move his viv from the floor. Beardies like to see everything. They stare and study you and although they are solitary independent creatures, they do like stimulus in some way. Also, do you every let him just run around the house when you're home and do you take him out while you're watching tv, cooking, doing chores, etc.? Maybe try taking him out and watching a movie with you. Show him that it's okay to wander and be out of his tank. He could very well be hot and bored. Haha My Tampico will do the same thing some days. She'll pout on her branch and stank eye me, and then I'll take her out and she'll roam the house and go back into her tank on her own.

Hope this helps! :blob8: :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom